Register now to get rid of these ads!

59ab flathead. Too much ring drag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So I'm assembling a motor for a friend of mine, and have ram into a curious problem. Crank is turned .030/.020 with all new bearings and a set of rods from H&H. Pistons are old cast alum silvolite jobs with nos perfect circle rings. +.o30 on the bores. As I'm assembling I notice that with every piston I add it gets harder to turn. I'm on #8 and it won't budge. Loosened the rod caps to make sure it wasn't a lower end bind and nada. The rings I think have too much drag on the fresh cylinder walls. Can I take out the lower skirt oil ring? This motor is gonna be a stationary motor on a cart with a 4-71, hooked to a blender, but I can't spin it with a breaker bar on the crank with 7 pistons in.

Sent via my typewriter

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Ok, found out it was the number 1 rod journal has the wrong size bearing. Started pulling rod caps and bearings and trying then. #1 and #4 ( full floaters) get tight with the rod caps tight.

Thanks anyway!

Sent via my typewriter