Register now to get rid of these ads!

Analog.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The past few months, I've been shooting a lot of film with an incredible old camera and lens combination. That lead me to building a small darkroom, developing my own film, and making my own prints. I'm still not worth a shit as a photographer, but I sure am having fun...

In any case, I figured I'd post a couple of shots of the Rivi on film. One image was taken with modern Kodak TMAX film, the other with some expired 35mm film from 1965.

So relaxing to do for some reason.

Anyway, the Rivi is coming along. Still lots to do, but I'm driving it more than I'm working on it.

Enjoy:

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      164.9 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      210.5 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      193.7 KB
      Views:
  2. I have always loved the first body style Rivi. Nice car and nice photos.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Who are those goofy guys from down your way who shoot expired film on toy cameras? I met them years ago at a HAMB Drags. They made very pretty pictures.

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

The look of real film cannot be duplicated by computer 'filters'... thats for sure.

5. Ryan,
    Find yourself a 1:1 lens....it will make a huge difference, or get closer to your subject.
    a 20-24 lens will help as well but will give you some distortion.
    (your too far away)
    photographer since '83

6. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have spent many hours in a darkroom developing film and making prints. It can be a very rewarding hobby, and a great form of expression. I shot a lot of plus X and Tri X black and white film. Pushed Tri X up to ASA 1200 for no flash indoor shoots. It has been a couple decades since I did it so I have no idea what film and print stock is available. Enjoy

7. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

Ah the smell of stop bath in the morning.....doh, I breathed in too hard again!

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Bill Mitchell really nailed the design of that car.

Also, if you like B&W, try a cokin infrared filter.

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The HARDEST thing I had to do was, brace yourself all film photographers, THROW AWAY MY 4 X 5 enlarger with the three lens turret as I had no room for it. I miss the smell of stop bath, standing in the dark looking down at reverse image imaging what it would look like. The magic of dodging with cutout board and burning with your hand blocking parts of the image. Then the real magic, when the sheet of paper was dropped into the developer and in 30 seconds, an image,,, don't pull it too soon, don't leave it in too long,,,,into the stop bath a quick look,, then into the fix bath,, the fix bath. Rocking the trays by lifting the corners,,fixing bath FOREVER, then the wash and finally the dry,,, remember the polished chrome dryer that would burn the print it you had it too hot or left it in too long,,,,
    Yea,

10. A fine machine you have there Ryan, all the improvements are spot on to my eyes - wheels are really special and add sophistication. Developing your own photos is working out just great, hope to see more.

11. The expired film pictures are incredible!

My daughter is taking photography in school.
    All digital now, got me thinking back to when I took it
    in Jr High, B&W 35mm, darkroom.
    I dug out some of the pictures I did, made me smile.

12. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I still run the weekly newspaper which has been in my family since 1880. . .yeah, 1880, we are several issues into Volume 135. Many, many hours were spent in the darkroom with Plus-X and Tri-X 35mm film, an enlarger and Dektol developer in one tray, water in the next and fix. Still have all the cameras and enlarger, and I think what would be now a bunch of expired bulk film. I would have to say the digital world has made my life much easier. Maybe, if I can ever retire, I'll take it up again. Like the shots.

13. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

90-30-5-2-5...

It's been 20 years since I've been in a dark room but I'll never forget that little chant Mr. Daniels taught us as we were developing our first photos. I still enjoy taking pictures but I miss the hands on/artistic process of making prints.

14. LongT

LongT

I like black and white film. Sold my 4x5 enlarger and camera a few years ago. But then I still like my CRT TV too.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Everything looks great RC. I have never been anywhere near a dark room but I could see the therapy in it all.

16. belair

belair

I like the title of the article. It speaks volumes about life.

17. autobilly

autobilly

The old film looks superb, especially number three, an excellent photograph.

18. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Digital cameras create images while film cameras capture photography.
    I miss the quality of real photos but like the simplicity of digital.

Nice shots and nice Riv

19. squirrel

squirrel

fun stuff!

Being a broke geek kid in the mid 70s, I had to build my own enlarger, from an old camera and an old slide projector, and some other stuff that was laying around. I never was any good at taking pictures, though

Attached Files:

20. Been there as well Tony. Last BW film I shot was for the sister in laws wedding in 2001. I miss processing. Carla and I both learned from legendary AP photographer Frank Klock who caught the stills that went around the world when flight 232 crashed in Sioux City in 1989. He is also a Nam vet. Thanks frank, I learned more from you in a couple years than any other college prof.

21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I recently scrapped about $2000 worth of brand new darkroom equipment because I couldn't sell it or even give it away. should have had a clue when I bought it all at an auction for $1.

22. IMHO, the medium used to capture the photos is personal choice.

The composition ond creativivty of the photo is an art form and that should be celebrated.

If I had the time and money it would be all 4X5 plates B&W for me.

J

23. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

I see college kids telling me they are trained in photography and photo shop yet they do not know anything about:

F-Stop
    ASA
    Controlling contrast, exposure ranges
    the F-64 club
    Etc.

I know the modern age of digital media is amazing and I definitely take advantage of it but there is something missing in what is looked at and taught now.

Had a lot of fun doing double exposures and timed exposures 40 years ago with flashes and fireworks. taught me a lot about photography.