Register now to get rid of these ads!

what t5 do I have hear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Feb 28, 2014.

1. I just got a WORLD CLASS T5 tranny like none I have ever seen before.
    this tranny has the GM bolt pattern of the early s10 but it is a WORLD CLASS TRANNY. the input shaft has14 spline like the s10 and 21 tooth gear count like the low gear ratio s10 I have not seen a s10 tranny in WORLD CLASS configuration before. No numbers plate on top cover.
    Anyone know or can guess what I have hear????

2. Leviman

Leviman

Just an earlier version of the wct5. 88-92 camaros had the world class guts in a muncie style case. It happened with s10s too early on. Cool trans, i was looking real hard for one.

3. Thanks Leviman, I'll start looking for tech on the 88-92 camaro trannys... any technical data on those that you know about.

4. I could not find any data on the Camaro t5 world class tranny with a 14 spline input shaft with a 21 tooth gear count ..Can any one with real world knowledge of this crazy combination tell me if this came from the OEM manufacturer with this gear set. or do you think that someone threw this thing together with s 10 14 spline parts .
    Question #2 Could the 14 spline shaft from a s10 be installed in the world class tranny
    Question #3 Did Camaro have a world class tranny with the 4.something first gear IE. 21 tooth 14 spline.

5. John, give me a call and save me some typing :) 540-850-0115

-Dan

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. I'll try to post some asai take some pics

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does it have a sticker on the top cover, or an ID tag on a bolt that holds the tail housing on? Can you find any of the Julian date casting markings that indicate shift/day/week/year?

9. I do not have any tags only case casting numbers. but I do not have the tranny in front of me ..can post casting numbers sometime later am on mar.1st ...thanks

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If we can arrow it down by date, and shifter position, We should be able to figure it out.

Given the input spline, it should be L4/60º V6.

There are outlier oddball transmissions out there. I have seen T5's with tag numbers that are not on any of the charts I have found.

Have seen a bunch of Camaro sourced T5's with the 4.03 gearset. Might be one of those.

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Please don't shoot the messanger,but you will find that "World- Class" T-5's were also used by (shudder?) Isuzu. They also had the generic 'chevy' trans to bellhousing pattern w/the 14 spline input & a .82 overdrive ratio for 5th gear. They were used in the early '90's vehicles.

12. I bought a 93 S-10 from a guy at work a few years ago and it also had a W/C T-5 with the chevy pattern. Went up against a 2.8 V/6.....everything was original to the truck. I used the trans behind a flathead and was very happy with it...had the electronic speedo.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have one also....pretty rare

14. I found out that it is a world class S10 from a v six as some of you posted. I have new knowledge I didn't have before. It always good to learn new things to keep the old bean working thanks to all of you for your help..John

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are rare. Don't let it out of you hands.

Now, there were two gearsets in the S10 T5.

With no tag or sticker, shift the transmission into first. That's far left, and forward on the shifter. If there is no shifter, the shifter socket on the rail needs to go right, and back (the shifter is a single pivot, the rail moves opposite of the knob).

Mark the input and output shafts with a Sharpie. Turn the input shaft and see how many times you have to turn it, to get the output shaft to turn one time.

You should get either just over 4, or just over 3-3/4 turns.

The first is the 4.03 gearset: 1st – 4.03, 2nd – 2.37, 3rd – 1.49, 4th – 1.00, 5th – 0.86.

The second is the 3.76 gearset: 1st – 3.76, 2nd – 2.18, 3rd – 1.41, 4th – 1.00, 5th – 0.72.

16. Leviman

Leviman

Glad to hear you figured it out! Those trans are cool. G force transmissions makes hop up parts to build them up to handle about 400hp with a stock case, 600 with their case. I plan on using their stuff to build a badass dog ring engagement t5 that will bolt behind my pontiac bellhousing.

17. Great info guy's Thank you. 68 and still learning!;)