Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Coil for a Mallory distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChanceDean, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

Which one of these should I run? Not really sure if one is better than the other and would really like some of yals opinions. It is going to a points mallory distributor. Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393221262.497260.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

Bttt

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Use the Accel 8140 its a 1.4 ohm coil and use a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor with a point distributor ...

The MSD is a .7 ohm electronic only coil would burn up the points very quickly....

4. badlefihand

badlefihand

I went through two(2) blaster coils and resistors in a short time,both with internal shorts.Spark is spark.Bought a $19.99 napa replacement coil works well, runs well, with warrenty and is a lot cheaper than blaster coil and resister at $68.00. Shorted out very quick. Nothing fancy just 59 389 tripower.And yes 12 volt on start and 7 volt on run. The blaster 2 is for points with .8 msd resisiter. I think both these coils are to hot for points

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

5. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

Thanks guys!

6. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

So I made a dumb kid mistake, it's not a points, it's an electronic Mallory distributor is what my dad told me tonight. Should I still go with the Accel coil?

7. ChanceDean

ChanceDean

Bttt

8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Yes still use the accell coil and resistor..........

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great info!!!! I have the same distributor in one of my cars, and put a regular ballast resistor in front of it to protect the Mallory Unilite electronic. If you try it without the ballast resistor you will eventually fry the Mallory.