Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small distributor for 327

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brady1929, Feb 21, 2014.

1. brady1929

brady1929

Hey all,
    I am looking for a small distributor for my 327 and my 32 coupe. I don't have very much room at all. I did search and read through all 20 pages but could not find the info I need. I did ask GMC Bubba and hopefully he will give me a price so I can start saving.

So I have read that a Mallory YL will be small. But I need more than that. A Mallory YL what? Model number or part number will help a lot.

Also want electronic and will most likely be using 3 carbs. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

You need something smaller in diameter than an original '60's distributor?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would use an old points dist. with pertronix ignitor II. with stock style cap.

4. metal man

metal man

Bubba rebuilt my Mallory YL. for my DeSoto Hemi. If you're getting it from him, he knows what you need.
    I didn't even know what I had until he saw it and told me what it is.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. stang484

stang484
    from atlanta

I just put a small short cap mad in my 28 with a 350 andd a 6/71 blower it had a Mallory that we thought was shot so we replaced it and its hyfire box it was a manifold gasket give me size and if a350 will work I would give you a deal on my replace by mistake unit it is a electronic Mallory with vacuum advance.

6. If you eed something smaller than that, might be time to consider one of the front mount conversions.

7. robber

robber

I put a Mallory Unilite series on my 327; small; looks old school, but maintenance free (triggered by infrared led). They come in mechanical advance/series 37 or vacuum advance/series 47. I never had to touch it since the day it was put on. I think it will cost you just a shade under 3 bills.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Im in the same boat. I just swapped my 350 for a 327. I was able to drop the distributor on the 350 at a slight angle. The 327 has the raised distributor hole in the block adjacent to the rear wall which forces you to drop the distributor perfectly straight. Im having interference with the firewall and will have to jack up the tail shaft of the trans to tilt the engine forward to drop the distributor. Someone suggested to take a look at a msd blower distributor, supposedly it is much shorter and smaller diameter than the rest.

https://www.msdignition.com/Product...Pro-Billet_Small_Diameter_V8_Distributor.aspx

Not very traditional looking though and needs a biz which is a bummer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. robber

robber

The server is not uploading my picture right at this moment, but if you want to go to page 2 of my album, "Sunshine", there is a picture of my 327 where you can clearly see how small the diameter of a "Unilite" is.

10. brady1929

brady1929

A friend of mine recommended a mag look electronic distributor from speedway. But it cost 5 or 6 hundred. Looking for something less expensive.

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

THose ones from speedway will likely leave you on the side of the road...

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

As been noted on this forum, The Vertex look-a-like magneto electronic distributor has reliability problems. I know I would be really ****** if I paid $500 for something that could give trouble.

Ago

13. Mallory YC,YL,ZC, 310.is the chev part * example YC-310

14. Bader 2

Bader 2

Hey saw a yc310 at the swap I'll see if it's still there today

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might help if you tell us what kind of room you have, whether the clearance issue is diameter or height. If a stock points distributor will fit, then that's an option, and if you want electronic you could put a Pertronix kit in it.
    The Mallory is slightly smaller, but be sure to use protection ahead of it, as they are sensitive to high voltage.

16. brady1929

brady1929

Unfortunately it is both. Todd (Bader 2) barely got it out the other day. It is right up against my 32 firewall. I will have to measure when I get home. I can't be the only guy with this problem. A 32 with a 327. Thanks for your help guys.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have a Mallory dual point unit that is 3 1/4 dia. except for the cap hold downs and 6" from the top of the intake to the top of the cap. was going to take it to a swap meet yours for $20 + shipping.

18. aaggie

aaggie

There are some expensive solutions to your problem but when I build a car, especially a street car, I always build it so when it dies alongside a road in the dark and raining I can fix it. You might be better off boxing in a section of the firewall so a stock size distributor fits then make a cover held with Dzus screws to blend it in. I suspect your problem started when the engine mounts were fabricated too far back. If it isn't too late in the build you could relocate the mounts to give more firewall room.

19. brady1929

brady1929

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Plenty of the small bodied, old Mallory distributors on that auction site we all know and love, and pretty cheap too; it seems everyone these days wants electronic/HEI distributors. The Mallory is smaller in diameter than the old 55-56 Chevrolet distributors, that were even smaller than the window access type distributors that came on line in 57. A Mallory will be fine for the size you need. Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

22. primed34

primed34

Might think about raising the back of the motor a little.