Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33-'34 Firewalls

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retro61, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Retro61

Retro61

Hey Fellas, I'm putting a 312 Y-Block,with a Spalding Flame Thrower Distributor, in my 5- Window, and would like to see some of your Firewall modifications. I've got a really nice Firewall and really don't want to modify it any more than I have too. I want to keep as much of the original as possible!
    Show me what you've got!!
    Thanks!

2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

What I am planning to use on my 33 is a firewall from a 35-36 ford,it has a indentation at the rear for a distributor?,it is not really a dizzy indentation but it looks like one,it also has the big ribs in it like a 33 has,i think I can put it in and it will look very original?I don't have any pictures yet,but I think it might be a good place to start. Harvey

3. Retro61

Retro61

Cool-Thanks! I have a really nice xtra Firewall I can incorporate with my original, if I have to. I just hate to Butcher the Stock one anymore than I have too.
    I Love the looks of the original!

4. This is one we did for a sedan with a 348. Shrunk back the body lines & made a removable insert that was riveted in with aviation rivets. Not sure if this is the kind of look your going for though.

Attached Files:

5. studefreak

studefreak

Here's what we did on mine .you can kind of get the idea; hard to see with the motor in it

Attached Files:

6. Retro61

Retro61

Cool stuff-Thanks guys! It helps!

7. cad-lasalle

cad-lasalle
    from grafton nh

I'm just finishing up a 34 that I used a 35 firewall in. The 35, being wider, need some work on the edges to fit. It looks original at first glance and leaves room for most distributors.

8. The 35 and up pickups is a source for firewalls also. Maybe the same as car, real close in appearance maybe easier to find??? Tim

9. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I utilized the pieces that I cut out then took a donor firewall for the ribbon surround adding a return however deep necessary. Rivet in and done.

Attached Files:

10. Retro61

Retro61

Awesome work Kirk! I dig it! I too, want to keep the stock Ribs as much as possible, and I don't mind cutting up the other Firewall, that's what I got it for-haha
    Thanks

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Here's a 33 Ford coupe. The pics shows the firewall modification to fit a 331 Cadillac engine. Not difficult to do, but I did not like cutting into a cherry stock firewall.

Attached Files:

12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

It's a good thing that I can cut & weld metal better than trying to post a pic... Even if it is upside down (roll eyes).

Here's another shot with everything in place. There is enough room around everything to pass a finger thru.

Attached Files:

13. Retro61

Retro61

Thanks guys-the Wheels are Spinnin now, hahaha

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

15. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown