Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hot Rod Primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old_Crow, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    from Arkansas

Not primer paint, but a basic book to give me an idea of what to do to build a nice car.

My shop does mostly restoration and updating of 50's-70's cars and trucks. I've got 30+years as a GM tech and a restorer, however I've never built a car I'd class as a street rod or anything like that.

I now have a customer who's bringing me a '31 Model A that he wants me to build a rod out of. I really hate to chop up a fully restored and functional car, but he's the customer, and it's his car and money.

Anyone got a good reference book for building a street rod oout of this Model A? I've been looking through the Speedway catalog and it sure seems like I could spend a lot of money on stuff I don't need or won't work together if I'm not careful.

Thanks,
    Wally Crow
    Vince's Vintage Vehicles
    Fox, AR.

2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel.

This book will tell you how to build a hot rod. Not a street rod. But since you asked about building "a nice car," I assume hot rod is what you really meant. :D Good luck.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool at swim class...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm wondering what I'd do, if I went to check on my car and everyone was reading a " How To" manual.:D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

5. X2... I would never take my car to someone who doesn't understand what a hod rod is to have it worked on period...:eek:

6. x2 for the Tardel book

7. I'm gonna play the devils advocate,,,looking at his website it looks like his main focus is restoration.

He has a business like many today that tend to work outside their comfort zone to make ends meet.

I personally think he made a wise decision to ask the hamb about how to approach the build. HRP

Like Clark said,,,"How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel.

8. 50 COUPE

50 COUPE

I have a book entitled, "How to build a Hot Rod Model A Ford", that I used for reference when I built a Model A years ago. It is in perfect condition, page to page. PM me if you need it! Lots of details and photographs. Will let you have it for the cost of the shipping. Just want to help a fellow car guy! I'm in NC, so can't cost much, just an offer for you. Good luck!

9. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Summit sells Bishop, Tradel book $25.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I personally think he should refuse the job because he has no idea of how to get the right look or the little tricks of the trade of building a hot rod.. That said, I'm sure he is good at what he does...

11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Looking at some of the builds out there, that hasn't stopped a lot of people. :)

I guess I don't see it quite that exclusive of a club.

The book and asking a few questions here will get him in the right direction. Just remember that there are a few mistakes in the book to watch out for.

Neal

12. ha! i thought this thread was about HRP :D

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Does the customer want you to build him/her a "street rod", as you've implied? If so, this isn't the place to ask for advice.

If he/she wants a "traditional hot rod", then you came to the right place.

Search around this great site, there are literally thousands of photos, descriptions and advice on how to build em just right.

And post some pictures of the project so we can watch! :D

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the Vern Tardel book.

It ain't rocket surgery. If you already have restoration skills, this is just an extension of those, just using a bit different style, and, perhaps a few new techniques.

Have the customer send you a bunch of pictures, or links to pictures of cars that he or she likes. That will set the style.

If you can show us those, we can help guide you.

15. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    from Arkansas

OK, 50Coupe, PM sent. I'll order the other book later today.

Myrick, thanks for the links to the different threads. I think that'll help me get an idea of exactly what Denzel sees in his head when he says "hot rod".

Gimpy, my thinking was much the same as yours, thanks.

As far as a couple of you guys, I didn't really see this as rocket science. Guys have been boxing frames, throwing V-8's, auto trannys, narrowed rear ends and big wheels on cars in their back yards for years. Don't see why I can't do it in a fully equipped shop.

The man knows I've never built anything like this(except hot rod motorcycles)and was happy enough with the '57 Bel Aire convertible I built him to trust this one to me. I think he'll be happy to see me studying instead of just buying a bunch of parts and throwing things together. As a place to begin, I just came here just like you guys and posted hoping to benefit from years of experience so I don't make costly mistakes with someone else's money.
    Sorry if that offends you, but I'm going to build the car anyway.

Oh, and Tfever, you really ought to change that sig line. Coming under a post like yours it made me laugh.

16. I think maybe we should give the guy a little credit here. Looks like he's been doing restoration work for over 20 yrs. just not so much hot rod work. Clearly he must possess the necessary skills. He's just looking for a little advice so he gets this Model A "right" and yes the Tardel books would be an excellent reference. I think the "real" issue here is will he be able to keep the customer on the right track. Since that's who is paying the bills he has to pretty much do the car like the owner asks. My humble advice would be to have the customer spend a little time on the HAMB checking out some of the outstanding examples of Model A's that have appeared here. And for God's sake don't let the owner talk you into an IFS especially if it's going to be fenderless.:eek:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  17. mike bowling

mike bowling

X-2 on the signature line! I think a lot of the negative feedback is well intended- like I tell my kids "It's not what you say, it's how you say it"And I think you ARE in the right thread ( traditionally "styled" hot rods).Hot Rod- an automobile that's been modified for speed and performance.The problem is, if you ask 5 people how to make spaghetti sauce , see what you end up with for a recipe!And there is definitely a learning curve involved; the 2nd time is usually easier than the first( like getting your sweetheart in the backseat).Take your time, study other cars and their build sheets, ask TONS of questions, and ,by golly, you too can make it happen. Good luck-Illigitimus non Carborundum! Mike the Carpenter P.S. I'm currently finising a '31 coupe that's got a '48 flattie, S-10 5 spd.( I got for putting a window in a guys house), and a '72 Olds rear end I got from Jere Sheehan when he moved to Fla. How you like-a-that sauce, Mario??

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  18. druids62

druids62

Well I kinda had to hesitate here but seeing the naysayer posts, just boils my biscuits. Grab the Tardel book, talk to your customer, see what he sees, line the floor with manuals and books and build a killer piece! Only the proud won't pickup a "how to" article. We all know where pride gets you! The skills you have honed and the tools you carry are more than applicable. Knock it outa the park Mr. Old Crow. I hope it makes the finals for a Riddler! :)

19. if you can build old British cars and vetts, a model a hot rod will be a breeze. you came to the right place. Sit down with the owner, surf cars on this site, come up with a plan and build.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

You've got skills & experience. That's a huge advantage. You've got the humility & frame of mind to ask questions & advice on something a little out of your comfort zone, another advantage. Between books, articles, & people here giving some guidance, there's no reason in the world you can't pull off a great A build. DO it, good luck.

21. pumpman

pumpman

I really give ya credit for having the stones to ask for help. To many have tunnel vision driven by one brain cell. You're on the right path if your customer wants a traditional hot rod (hopefully so) and this site is the library for that. Nothin but good luck and great results.

22. IF the customer knows you have not done this before but knows you have the skills. I would have them get you pictures and descriptions of what is needed and what is wanted. once you have a plan, explain the steps. an informed customer will be a happy customer.

23. jhaas63

jhaas63

Wally, dont worry about the negative comments. There are a ton of internet tough guys and know-it-all's on every forum. Good for you for looking for assistance; it's that type of attitude which keeps you in business for 20 years.

24. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    from Arkansas

Jhaas, not my first forum rodeo. I expected a few negative comments. Funny how many people will jump on you for something as simple as not knowing correct terminology when you actually came to ask.
    Got jumped on over on a Ford truck board because I called my '61 F100 a "stepside". Heck, back in the '70's when I built my first one, everyone called all of them stepsides.

Anyway, the suggested book is on the way, I'll be getting back with the customer to have him look at some pics so I know exactly what he wants, and go from there.

Oh, and I like straight axles, we *will* be keeping the straight axle. Got a lot of crap in the aforementioned truck group because I wanted to keep my straight axle and not "upgrade" to the twin I beam.

25. Blessed is the man that can ask an intelligent question, for he is open to new knowledge! Old_Crow, You make a living by building the rod of your customers dreams, so get in his head and build it his way. I'm sure you have done this before.

26. You might want to use a dropped axle if the customer wants a altitude adjustment.:D

Don't worry about the haters,I have been around the hamb for quiet a few years and I have more than my fair share.:rolleyes:

Can't please everybody. HRP

27. ............True words:D

28. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    from Arkansas

HRP, sorry I stole your handle for my thread title. ;-).

My first question when we sit down on this is gonna be, "how low?". I've been working with a drop axle on a 54 Chev 1/2 ton I'm doing, and plan one on my wife's 54 panel truck, so I'm on solid ground there.

I'm thinking narrowed 9" rear axle with 4 link and coil over in the rear. Again, nothing new to me, we've done a couple on later model cars.

One quick question probably not deserving its own thread. In looking at front axles, I see some set up with the spring over the axle and some with the spring behind the axle. Is the main reason for additional height reduction, or to stretch the wheelbase a tad, or does it just depend on which way the car was stock?

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! Not only did you start a thread mentioning HRP, but you somehow got the ID of one of the most active Bonneville racers here on here, Old Crow Speed Shop. Looked at your website and see this isn't the first project you ever worked on. Only problem I can see is billing, if you can rebuild Mustangs with your eyes closed, but need to stop read and research a Hot Rod build, I can see a lot of off the clock time spent on this project. A backyard builder can do things over and over until it looks right to him. A shop gets to bill out the time once, unless you have some deal made ahead of time before the project starts. Time and materials or flat rate, this will not be like other jobs I'm sure. Bob