Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 rhd clutch arm

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grim1930, Feb 15, 2014.

1. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Hi does anyone have a picture and some measurements for a 32 right hand drive clutch arm, I have the rhd pedals but don't think I will be able to get a clutch arm so I think I will have to make my own, any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Graham

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shaft and fork that work the release (throwout) bearing? I'd wonder if you could take the shat out and insert it from the right side and slip it back though the fork.

Speedway item http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131095396228?lpid=82 That obviously would be in their catalog and the shaft is just below it in the additional things list. I didn't see the lever that goes on the end of the shaft and hooks to the linkage though.

Another link that may help http://www.littledearborn.com/passenger/clutch/ford_passenger__v8__clutch__pa.htm

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. flthd31

flthd31

Here's a few pics for ya. This one is slipped in from left side. If you slipped it thru the right side, the middle hole for the release fork would be off. You would need to fill and redrill it...no biggie.

The lever leans toward the rear about 25 degrees when the hole for the release fork is vertical.

Attached Files:

4. The shaft is the same size from early to late if i remember correctly.. You should be able to use any other arm and heat and bend it to suit. Thats what i'm doing on my roadster.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

It's important that the LENGTH of the arm ("any other arm") remain the same as original to keep the GEOMETRIC RATIO in tact. DD

6. flthd31

flthd31

The '32 clutch shaft is a "one of" year only. It's much longer that all others and angles out from the tranny quite a bit. The '39 arm is available from Drake but it is only 3.40" tall and almost straight up.

As DD mentions, the extra length is important for ratio purposes. If you need a '32, you'll have a lot of trouble trying to stretch and bend any of the others to match it.

7. I just assumed you could try and make work a different year arm, as i've got a '39 in my Roadster but due to pedal placement need one that swoops across a bit.. the '39 is straight up. So unless i was to make a Z / dogleg shaped rod from the pedal to the arm.. bending one or using a curved factory one is the only option.

8. flthd31

flthd31

Here's a pic of one installed with 32 pedals on a 32 "k" member. It's quite a bit different than a 39.

Attached Files:

9. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

I have a 39 lhd arm but as people have stated it is shorter and also hits the starter boss on the bellhousing, I could machine the boss of the arm where it goes over the shaft and make the shaft about a 1/4" shorter and bend the arm straight to clear the starter but the length of the arm will still be too short, I have already made a new shorter shaft and it seems a shame to mess up a good original lhd 39 clutch arm.
    Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Thanks for the picture the 4 3/4" measurement will be handy for the correct ratio, my arm will need to be more straight up to clear the starter.
    Regards Graham

11. Have you tried a few want ads, here, on fordbarn.com and on earlyfordv8.org? In this country if you start with a right hand drive transmission that is one of the parts you don't need. I sold one about a year ago. If anyone needs a right hand drive shifter tower (the other part you don't need) please PM me.

Charlie Stephens

12. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Good idea thanks I will put some wanted ads up.

13. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Hi Charlie
    I was wondering if you had a picture of the one you sold in case I have to make one myself ?
    Regards Graham

14. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

someone must have one or a picture, please help ! someone has suggested that a 33 or 34 may work, anyone got a picture of one of these ?

15. Sorry, I sold it without taking a picture.

Charlie Stephens

16. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

If you are totally stuck. You can always buy a repro '39, cut it and TIG weld in some steel and re-shape it. I've seen it done, it works.

my .02

17. Andy

Andy

Do you have stock RHD pedals? That will tell you where the top of the arm should be left and right. The pivot length would be the same as LHD. You can take any arm and modify it. I suspect it will be pretty straight up and down vs. the US style.
    Here is a sketch of the LHD arm and a pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  18. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

Here's a few pics:

Attached Files:

19. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

You can also make one fairly easily out of some 7/8" i.d. tubing and flat bar bent to suit.

Attached Files:

20. Mart

Mart

I just took some snaps of my gennie RHD 32 clutch setup. This is all 32 stuff in a 32 chassis.

The rhd setup is a bit simpler than LHD, effective lever length is the same as far as I can tell, but with less sideways offset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to measure the length, and I would say it matches the dimension quoted above.

Mart.

21. If I remember correctly someone makes a street rod reproduction of the left hand side clutch release arm. I would think you could plug and redrill the hole for the pin that goes through the shaft. But looking at Post #20 the arm is different beyond being just a mirror image so I am not sure.

Charlie Stephens

22. fmascioli2@gmail.com

[email protected]
    from CT

Grim,
    Looking at Mart's excellent pics, I can see there's almost no offset if any to the arm so it would be quite easy to fabricate if you use the length and 30 deg rotation shown on my sketch. You could even use a small piece of 5/16" i.d. tube at the clevis end and put some taper and shape to the flat bar for a more period look.
    If I'm honest, I wasn't sure where the clutch pedal was on a RHD car but Mart nicely clarified that.

23. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392872594.112448.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392872609.997615.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392872623.938976.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392872638.102725.jpg

These pics might help the 32 arm is about 4-3/4" centre to centre the other arm which is a '37 to '39 I think is about 3-3/8 centre to centre. The orientation of the pin I slightly different. I think I would get two '37 to '39 arms and do a cut and join.
    Al.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Cabro32

Cabro32
    from Pa

32 clutch arm without the pedales.

Attached Files:

25. I might be able to help you with an arm, but It will be Monday next week before I can check if there is one there . Send me a PM if this helps.

26. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

Thanks for everyone's help and the great pictures and drawings, just what I was looking for.