Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects what CUSTOM dash in a 49-51 Ford ???

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rockin rebel, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ya, ya, I know, use the stock dash...lol but I do not want to.. what have yall used.??? I have a 54 Ford, 55 Mercury, 52 Caddy, 55 Chev, 55 Plymouth, 58 Ford, any better ideas.?? thanks

2. williebill

williebill

Which one do you want to look at when you're driving the car?

Hard to beat mid 50s Olds... Sexy as hell

I'm using a mid 50s Buick in my Merc.

3. 55 Olds would be great, but not many of those around here...

4. BRENT

BRENT

I'm currently working on a 50 ford and I'm gonna swap that out and put a 51 ford dash in it. I did remove most of the gauges and only running the centre speedo.

I don't think its a particularly nice dash but its just something a bit different. The 49-50 dash is simple and symmetrical and balanced the 51 is different asymmetrical look to it which is something I found appealing.

Plus its a direct bolt in.

5. desotot

desotot

54- 56 olds are great!

6. If you're trying to use what you have, I'd go with either the '55 Merc or the '52 Caddy...

7. Man, I think the 49-50 is one of the cleanest looking dashes made :rolleyes:

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I really like the 51 dash it looks custom built, looks like Ford was watching the custom builders and it really defined the Ford dashes into the 1950's

9. hey Jack, you have an Olds dash..?? when ya coming down.? Puallup this weekend..

Royal, I do have the 51 dash and it can be made nice too..

10. desotot

desotot

No , the one you are thinking of would have looked good in a merc, but I will see if it is available. Jack

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

12. hey Royalshifter, how many inches did you take out of the A piller.??? you have one of the nicest shoeboxes in all hamb land, by the way..

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

4" on the A and 4 1/4" on the back....thank you very much for the compliment.

14. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1955 Olds it............. It is two tone and lots of trim.

15. the basic lines of the '51 dash are nice, but the layout is a bit cluttered, imho.

Customizing the '51 dash may be an option to consider. I completely reconfigured the switch and gauge locations/layout on mine. indicator lights surround the speedometer, hidden behind the mesh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. that is a great way to fix the 51..I like it a lot

17. Anyone know if the 49-51 Ford dashes are switchable with the same year Mercury?

18. atomickustom

atomickustom

I believe Ford dashes are narrower than Merc, John. It can be done, but not as a direct bolt-in.

19. Wowcars

Wowcars

I like the one I stare at, 1950 Studebaker

Attached Files:

• dash.jpg
      dash.jpg
      File size:
      145.8 KB
      Views:
  20. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Stay stock stay happy you cant go wrong with the 50 dash, but a 50merc dash would look cool also.

21. Personaly i like the 51 best of the 3 yrs. Put one in my 50. Like he said bolt in. I think you would have to do lots of other things if you went with the olds or whatever.

Attached Files: