Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Windsor one piece rear main seal drip, advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, Feb 16, 2014.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

I bought a new rebuilt engine off a friend for a steal thr engine was never installed, appears to be built in 2010 using a new cast iron block with one pece seal.

I got around to installing it and only drove the car around a few times since we are having a rough winter. I notice a tiny leak coming off my bellhousing index plate, not a terrible leak buy a drip here and there.

I honestly am in no mood to remove the tranny and all to mess around. I wanted to know do the one piece rear mains swell up over time or can mine be leaking because its fresh and hasnt been used?

Ive been tempted to try a stop,leak additive but im not sold on that stuff

Leaks just tick me off especially on new components. I called the engine builder who my friend bought it from and they do not warranty any leaks of any sort. It iseems all engine builders plea the 5th on such.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would check the intake in the rear before going any further,the 460 in my f250 developed a leak that I thought was the rear main but ended up being the intake leaking oil and running down the back of the block.

3. willo_96

willo_96

Could also be gearbox?

4. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Yeah i checked the intake its def coming from the inspection plate between the bellhousing and block, the oil is the 10-40 i installed, i hope this will swell up and stop as i hate to tear this all down now for a stupid leak.

5. I ve had friends use stop leak and it does work. This was in older motors thou and not sure of the effects in a new one. I'd drive the car for 500 miles or so. It may just seat itself.

6. studefreak

studefreak

You have to be care full and not tighten flywheel bolts with a impact . It will distort sealing surface of the crankshaft . Hopefully you used a torque wrench

7. willo_96

willo_96

^^ that is true, also one piece seal can be changed without disassembling the motor? If crank is marked from over tightening speedy sleeve may work

8. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

I put the flywheel on using the air gun but at very low psi just to get the screws all in then went over it by hand. I didnt have rtv to put on the flywheel bolts so i used loctite blue and maybe this is where my leak is coming from. My buddy who helped me told me last night about this which i totally forgot. I know leaks can happen from the flywheel bolts

Once the weather breaks il throw some miles on it and see and if it gets worse i have no choice but to tear into it.

9. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

The seal is neoprene, I can't see it expanding.