Register now to get rid of these ads!

George Barris’s Asteroid Corvette heads to auction

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by blowby, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Yeah, make both sides the ''race'' version! Trying to figure out what the 2 gauges are that take place of the stock radio.

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

"1963 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray restyled by Barris Kustoms for Bob Nordskog. Bob was a mechanical engineer by trade, and he had a past racing at the dry lakes. When Chevrolet intoduced the second-generation Corvette for the 1963 model year, Nordskog quickly placed an order for a Stingray sans paint. His intensions all the time was to have George Barris at Barris Kustoms restyle the car.[1] At Barris the nose of the car was extended, and the headlights were placed behind the bladed grille. The original taillights, exhaust outlets, and rear bumpers were given way to a filled rear panel. The taillights were integrated into into the nerf bars mounted on either side of the rear license plate housing. Exhaust header pipes emanated from the engine directly aft of the front wheels. The exhaust header pipes were fabricated by Bob Egizi Muffler Shop in Encino, California.[2]

Bob's Corvette was powered by a 352 cid Corvette engine modified with a 505C Iskenderian cam. It was fed trough six Stromberg 97 carburetors, producing a measured output of 400 horsepowers. The engine was also bored and stroked by C & T Automotive.[2]

Inside, the car was reupholstered by Don Ferrara of San Pedro, California, Bob's brother in law.[1] The interior consisted of white pearlesecent Naugahyde trimmed with metallic copper sheathed in vinyl. Carpeting were frieze of sunset orange. The tonneau behind the seats incorporated dual seat headrests.[2] Bob's Corvette was painted in a copper Metalflake. A paint job that gave the car it's name, "Asteroid".[1]

The car was used both on the street and the strip. Dayton wire wheels were used for street only, while American Racing mag wheels were used for drag strip racing.[2] At shows, the car was regularly displayed with one side wearing street wheels and tires, with the other set up for racing. In the 1960s the Asteroid appeared on the cover of Jan and dean's Drag City LP.[1]

In 2013 a restoration of the Asteroid was completed. By then the car was owned by Lance Miller and Randy Kottel. While Lance is the owner of Carlisle Events, Randy is the owner of Desert Autosport, the company that performed the restoration of the car. The restored version of the Asteroid made it's public debut at the Corvettes at Carlisle event in the Summer of 2013. In 2014 the Asteroid will be offered for sale at the Barret-Jackson Scottsdale auction."

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Bob_Nordskog's_1963_Chevrolet

3. Squablow

Squablow

I like it. I'd much rather have this than the stock version. The pre-restoration version was the epitome of early 80's customizing! This version is best, though.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

5. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

I think it would be bad ass to see it in drag form line up against Dean Jeffries "Mantaray"

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd walk past 100 stock '63 Vettes to drool on that one. Its a wild over the top build from that time period.

7. Jay71

Jay71

I usually tend to lean towards the mild treatment, but this thing is sooo bitchen! I'd love to have this thing.

8. If the nose wanted to lift, I'd install as small an air dam as possible to stop it, and drive the wheels (the Americans) off of it! :D

9. I like the "Hot Rod" side. If it was that way all around, with the long sidepipes from the "Custom" side, I think it'd be pretty cool.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  10. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well, I carefully read all the posts and did not see where anyone is bashing "Mr. Barris". I do see where several people are expressing their lack of desire to own such a creation, as it were. The car is a cool period piece, but still.....

It's an interesting phenomenon - when a certain person achieves a certain status, he can long no longer do any wrong. If that car had been been assembled by Joe Lemanksi of Long Island in 2008, would we still get gooey over it? Probably not.

11. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

This has that Barris Cosma Ray Touch to it... Nice car...

12. Tony

Tony

Well, i'd still like it. I could care less is Barris, or Elmer Fudd built it, i just think its badass. :)

Tony

13. williebill

williebill

This is my favorite post on this thread. Still got the Vette and the trophy?

Still got all of my model trophies. Competition wasn't too fierce in my little Tennessee town, or else the judges felt sorry for me after seeing the bizarre shit I'd enter.

14. I rarely see that in the case of George if anything the exact opposite is true and most hate everything he does because it is him. I love the Barris customs of the '40's and '50's and though I understand the reason George had to continue to evolve to stay in business he pretty much lost me once he started doing the weird show rods and tv stuff. That being said I really like this car and I think Vettes are midlife crisis clown cars. The two sided thing is dumb but get both sides to look the same (either way) and I think it would be very cool to own.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. TERPU

TERPU

I'd own it. And yes my wife has laready accussed me of being in mid life crisis mode.

Tim

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Us old farts must stick together! Thanx, and no - all my old models are long gone. Some got tossed and some just fell apart. Remember how the rubber tires would eventually meld themselves into the plastic display case bases? Quite a few of them did that and couldn't be pried off without damage. As for the trophies, sorry to say they are gone too. I do have the trophy plaque from this model - from the 2nd Testors Nationals. My other win was the next year with a gas dragster model. I got an 80cc Yamaha trail bike for that one - for "detailing" - but no trophy. Heck with the trophy! I traded the bike for a beater '56 Healey and some cash the next year! Jeez, that was a long time ago. I mostly build large scale trains and 1/8 cars now. Easier on the eyes. Gary

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  17. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

wonder how it handles with the two different sized tires on the rear. Isnt one axle going faster that the other?? if you think about it.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. I like it, and I'll be interested to see what it brings. I'm thinking it might be less than you would expect.

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

I like the race trim side too!

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny, I'm one of the guys who generally slags George Barris cars...But I like this. And I dig sixties custom vettes as a rule, so if Joe Lemanksi built it, I'd still like it.
    I see several "not bad, for a Barris build" comments on this thread, seems to me, most of the guys that like it, like it in spite of who built it, not because of who built it.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  22. metalshapes

metalshapes

Same here...

I really like the Drag version.

( unless its another one that started out as somebody else' even cooler custom...)

23. That is beautiful!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^It just dawned on me. GM copied those hood vents(except they made them non-functional, of course:rolleyes:) note for note on the Camaro...

Wonder if Barris got a royalty on that deal...:p

25. The hood vents look a lot like "67 Chevelle SS ornaments.

26. v194

v194
    from The South

Always thought that car was pink not brown as it appears in the recent shots.

27. v194

v194
    from The South

The wheels are now on the wrong side too. Wires are on the drivers side originally.