Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up a 31 A roadster project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Rumblebarber

Rumblebarber

that's a sweet find my friend. it is even sweeter watching it evolve.. good luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Man, that thing is cool!

3. Haha! When the weather is good I put the 29' in the driveway and it's plenty of room. Not sure how much I'm going to do to the 4 banger. Going to get it apart and check it out. I am sure it will snowball!

4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

My garage is the same way man only I don't have all the cool toys in it. I wouldn't know how to do anything if I didn't have to hop trip or jump over things to
    Get somthing done! Killer work man see ya soon, Ryan

5. pumpman

pumpman

Glad to hear you're staying with the banger. They are a blast, can't wait to get mine back in the 32 and go. Love the car and what you are doing.

6. Noticed the wrench on top of the block. Is that still the only wrench you own?

Attached Files:

7. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Did your dad ever do anything with that round tub model a chassis?
    That was a neat piece! Great workmanship !
    I tried to buy it from him when he was in Ct.
    but wouldn't sell.

8. Believe it or not he still has it hanging up. He never could get all the gt40 suspension parts so he sold what gt40 stuff he did have. My brother and I always say it would be cool to finish that chassis.

9. Got the frame and misc parts back from the sandblaster. He also etch primed it for me. Took some stuff apart on the banger and it looks like the little engine has some major issues (cracks). Need to weigh out my engine options for now. 1392422200639.jpg 1392422220576.jpg

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

You know your gonna go a flat full house v8 spill the beans! Details details man

11. No V8 in this one, I am married to the idea of running a 4 banger. I have had a lead on a really clean running take out "B" motor. It's a little more money than I wanted to spend but I think it would be really cool with my old Simmons head and the intake and header I built. I am going to look at it on Monday and make up my mind. I better start getting some spare parts gathered up to sell to justify this one!

12. sota

sota

At least you don't need a very big tool box to store all your tools!!!!

13. Nope a Brooklyn Socket Set and some WD40 and I'm good to go!

14. slobroy

slobroy

Nice build, I like the way you're headed.

15. Well I pulled the trigger and bought the complete B motor and trans. This motor was running when a friend pulled it out of a 32 chassis a few years back. Need to clean it up and check it out.

Attached Files:

16. olskool34

olskool34

So jealous, I have been looking for a B for awhile. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

17. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Damnit your killing me! This is gonna be a killer ride! A friend of ours had a B motor in a little modified up
    Here, and my old 31 had an A in it and it's crazy how much smoother his B seemed to run. Kudos on the build, I'm hoping to be able to make it to watch you guys rip up the beach this year!

18. Did some research on the B motor. It was in an all stock 32 car chassis but it's what they call a "diamond" block. I guess this was a service replacement and also sold for industrial use. The date code shows it was built April 20th 1936. From what I read some of these engines had hardened seats and were built right up until WWII.

19. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

That's a great engine! Great choice!

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

it should have a counter balanced crank also...smoover. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. I'm crossing my fingers, need to get the trans off of it and get it in the engine stand.

22. Carter

Carter

If you wiggle the oil fill tube out of the block and shine a flashlight in the hole, you should be able to tell which of the 3 B cranks it has.

In case you haven't seen them out of the block, here is the one piece "C" crank:
    [​IMG]

The counterbalanced crank that is just the non-CB crank with weights added.
    [​IMG]

The non-CB looks just like an A crank.

23. Thanks Dave,
    I'll take a look, I'm a banger virgin!

24. Great project!! I'll be watching buddy.

25. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Did you do anything to the lower end. Does it still have babbit rods. I have a friend that has a 4 banger that will hit 70, before you can blink an eye. actually scary, because its a stock suspension.

Guess I didn't read far enough. Nice project.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  26. The B motor I am running is stock I assume. Going to check it out and run my Simmons head, header, and downdraft intake. If it runs 60-65 I will be happy. This is going to be just for beating around where I live and the main road has a 50mph speed limit.

27. Thanks Mike, can't wait to see the 3w progress!

28. very cool! subscribed

29. That's righteous!! Great buggy, great photo, thanks for sharing

30. Not much new to post. Seems like I have been spending most of my time cleaning dirty parts when I have been working on the roadster. Picked up a 32' K member and pedals so I am trying to decide if I want to run the 32' trans or run the stock A trans and pedals.