Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pancake superchargers and triple carbs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatcat, Feb 12, 2014.

1. flatcat

flatcat

Is there an adapter to use a pancake style blower with triple carbs???

2. aaggie

aaggie

All of the new Eaton screw type superchargers are made for fuel injection applications. The air intake is in front with a throttle body so it would be difficult to adapt to carb setup.

3. I don't think he's talking about a roots type blower..

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

On a normally aspirated engine (non-supercharged), adding carburetors allows more air/fuel into the engine by reducing and/or eliminating restrictions in the intake system. And that is only accomplished if intake PORTS are added to the manifold as well as carbs. Some folks use adapters to add carbs that still use the original manifold inlet port and think they have accomplished something. Perhaps they have, but it's appearance, not performance.

In your case, if I understand your question correctly, you want to adapt multiple carbs to the INTAKE side of the old style horizontal centrifugal supercharger. Although the 'blower' itself is intended to overcome the intake system restrictions by force feeding air into the engine, what you are proposing is, in effect the same as I described in the first paragraph. Adding carbs to the intake side of the blower would likely offer no, or very little, improvement in air flow because the restrictive intake port of the blower remains the same, no matter how many carbs you put before it. It might look impressive, but that is all.

If, on the other hand, you are wanting to adapt a blower to blow THROUGH multiple carbs, that are on a multiple carb manifold, then maybe that offers some potential improvement in air flow. But it will also add a bunch of tuning problems to overcome. And, if i recall the design of horizontal centrifugal blowers correctly, they are not configured to do that. The carb is ahead of the blower, not after it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If this is what the OP is referring too, then Hnstray is dead on.

[​IMG]

If the OP is referring to a Potvin setup or even a roots style blower, then yes a 3x2 plate makes sense.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. flatcat

flatcat

Many thanks guys. The pics make things very clear. The guy I am working with has a triple on his motor and wanted to use it. Not possible so I will pass this on to him. Thanks Bill

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You don't need more carbs with a blow thru. The blower forces more air thru, you just need to increase the jets for more gas. 3 carbs with a blow thru blower is a waste of time unless you have one hell of a big motor.