Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thickstun chevy 6 intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltflatmatt, Mar 6, 2009.

1. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Found this on eBay- Looks like it came from the foundry last week? Look at the machined surfaces are they casting this manifold again? I have owned many NOS intakes from back in the day but none ever looked this good.

Attached Files:

• th.JPG
      th.JPG
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
    • thh.JPG
      thh.JPG
      File size:
      13.6 KB
      Views:
  2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Thats the prettiest dogbone I've ever seen...

3. Saw that too....looks to nice to have been sitting on a shelf for 40+ years....would look much better on my 54!

4. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

horrible design if you are looking for performance.

Tight, obstructed runners, high rises force intake charge to take sharp 90 to get to runners. Charge would loose velocity heading down the risers and smacking against the floor of the manifold. This was discussed over on inliners.org.

Fine piece if you are looking for asthetics.... for crap if you want any performance.

and yes.... this is a repop

5. belair

belair

It' still sexy.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

and yes.... this is a repop[/quote]

are you sure??? who is selling them?

7. are you sure??? who is selling them?[/QUOTE]

ditto...i'd like to know...

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I saw that on ebay as well. It is a repop although I'm not sure whom sells them but it's different than the originals. The risers are taller. Says "new" in the ad... maybe the seller knows?

9. 6inarow

6inarow

There is a lot that looks different than my thickstun, but I cant believe it has been under the radar this long.

risers, bolt spacing, heat box, ports???? wonder whats up?

10. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

So then which intake is best for performance.

11. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I emailed the seller and asked if it was "new" and he said yes... But he was not clear if it was NOS or a new casting, he never replied to my second email.. The seller has more thickstun stuff.

I'd run a V8 in my 51 if I was worried about performance, this intake has sooooo much sex appeal I got to have one. I have been looking at them for a few years and I am almost ready to get one....
    So who know where to buy one.??????

12. 6inarow

6inarow

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Why would you reproduce a manifold and change the riser height, etc, etc, etc,?
    Oh, I'm sure they spent thousands dyno testing the manifold in original and various modified configurations before turning them loose on the unsuspecting public?

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, 99 percent of the aftermarket intakes for early Chevy sixes had very little science to them. Just being able to run two carbs between the three head ports resulted in a net gain of horsepower, even if it was a modified stock intake with two Gotha add on carb risers brazed to it.

15. do you really think that? back then, more of make a casting and make it with more than one carb and people were happy to get it.....

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

There was talk around a while ago that Tony Barron was going to repop the dog bone intake. I haven't heard anything since, so maybe........

17. panic

panic

So long as people select speed equipment by appearance, this will continue.

18. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I'm bringing this bttt 1 last time..

Anyone have a contact for the guy casting this thing? I have emailed the seller on eBay and get nothing in return....

19. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Dogbone intakes are very cool, but I can tell you it won't fit on your 54, unless you show your firewall brace who is boss.

Notice how so many you see have chipped fins on the outside of the rear dog bone?

If this guy had sandblasted the intake, it would be a lot harder to tell, except the quality of the repops is much higher.

20. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

There is one auction running right now for one, another one in his feedback that sold, and who knows how many re-pops sold before that. Same guy is selling other thickstun repop parts. I think its good they are getting remade, they are cool intakes, hopefuly teh price will come down on them

21. oldestman

oldestman
    from California

Just to update this thread. The seller on eBay is sereneone. I suspect it's either Tony Baron or someone closely connected to him. I kind of resent the fact that they clearly know it's a repop and dodge it in their auctions and responses to questions. I bought a banger manifold from them and when it arrived, it was obviously a new and newly machined casting. Questioning them about it brought the answer that they didn't know if it was a repop, and "the owner is on a cruise and can't be reached. Thinking on it, I don't "kind of resent" the BS, I really resent it. They also sell some "Thickstun" stuff that I don't think ever existed. I'm surprised they haven't popped a set of Thickstun SBC valve covers. They would be great considering Tommy Thickstun died in 1946.

22. Nookie

Nookie

Same thing sort of happened with Fenton intakes I believe. The repops are made in China and look a little differen't.

23. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

it is a repop.They also have a Thicstun valve cover now but I don't think there was one back in the day.