Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sealed lead acid batteries...experiences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looking for real life experiences using sealed lead acid batteries, like the Dyna Batt, Odyssey etc. How well did it work out in your car? Did you remote mount it? If so, how did it act with the voltage drop due to longer cables?

Thanks
    Root

2. chop777

chop777

I was told by an old hot rodder that if mounting battery in trunk the ground cable should be larger in gage than the positive
    I was wearing out alternators and this seemed to fix the problem .....
    As far as sealed type batteries I had bad experiences with the optima
    More than once
    -chop

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. swifty

swifty

I'm running an Odyssey PC680 in my 32 coupe. It is tiny, mounted in the trunk with fairly heavy cables running to the starter. My alternator is only 35 amp output and I've had no problem in 2 years of driving and 13500 miles. BTW the battery is mounted just inside the trunk so it is readily accessible and not buried under all the luggage. It is as far from the starter as possible in a 32 coupe.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I run an Odyssey under the front seat of my 35. Make sure you get one with enough cold cranking amps (CCA). I'm on my second battery in 8yrs despite having a trickle charger. Only a weekend driver and not a daily.

Attached Files:

5. This is interesting...

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know that you have to have a special charger designed for SLA batteries.

Also, guys don't confuse a gel cell (Optima) with a dry cell (DynatBatt or Odyssey).

It amazes me how small they are. It's hard to wrap my mind around it cranking a starter on a SBC when it only weighs 11 lbs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have 2 odysseys in my hot rods, they work great and require no special charger------- my generator charges it just fine!

8. I have had an Oddessey for several years that I use as an extra for cars and a tractor. It charges up from dead to full charge rather easily and does not require any special charger. I usually keep a trickle charger on it during the winter but when I did run it down it came back quickly. Last year I bought another one, this time the small one that is as small as a motorcycle battery. It starts a small block Ford easily and you can mount it nearly anywhere and in any position. I usually mount my batteries as close to the starter as I can so can't testify about voltage drop over a long run.

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Optima batteries are not gel cell; they're SLA (sealed lead acid), or AGM, and similar to many Hawker-made Odyssey and Dyna Batt.

A 6 V red top Optima bought in '04 lasted through last year, and the 12 V red top in the roadster bought in '06 (and not used until '08) is still going strong. I don't use tenders on any batteries; I simply check voltages periodically and use a 2 amp charger if needed after long storage or infrequent use.
    I'll stay with Optima AGMs at this time. :)

10. I bought an Odyssey PC925 in '05 when I was mocking up my car . I didn't finish the car til Nov '11.... I kept the battery on a Deltron Battery Tender while I finished the project(6 yrs !)... Then drove the car til this past Oct '13 ( another 2 yrs), when it started to fail.. I did not hesitate to order another one...
    The original failed when a slight leak occurred around the battery post.. I noticed the new battery had a redesigned post...

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

AGM yes. I concur.

12. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I also have an Odyssey in a 32 Tudor sedan. The battery is located under the rear seat, with a short cable to frame and a long one to soleniod on the firewall.
    This setup is the best thing since sliced bread and 7 up. I also use a small alternator that
    is driven from the rear pinion yoke. Everything works just great. Alternator turns on @ 16 mph

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

What model # Odysseys are you guys running?

14. Have a Odyssey PC680 in my roadster laying down under the seat. 2+ years and no problems at all.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      259.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      226.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      211.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      164 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
  15. You will love the Odyssey batteries.
    I don't suggest building a car that doesn't have room for a full size battery, but if the need for a small battery is there, put an odyssey in the hole and you'll be happy.

I have one on an old shovel head Harley. 1/2 the size with 2x the Amps and so far has lasted twice as long as any-other battery that's ever been in there since it was new in 1976. Vibrations usually kill regular batteries and heat due to the location on the bike.

Have another in an OT ride that either needed a relocation or smaller battery.
    The cost analysis showed the odyssey was cheaper than a relocate. Hasn't missed a beat and fit nicely into the now smaller space with room to spare.

I'm thinking on 2 small odyssey batteries in the kick panels or under the toe boards on one.
    Not sure yet. I have a NOS battery from 1962 I'd like have show on the build, the battery is dead but the case is cool as hell. So I need to crank it and hide it to go that route.

You can also get them in same size but different post locations. Top or side and left or right ground. Even though you can't mount them inverted , you can get there by terminal reconfiguration almost.

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Any way except upside down.

17. I put an Odessy in the 29 RPU when I built it in 2005 - it's till in there and working fine. it is the PC925. The new RPU built a little over a year ago has the PC680 and so far so good with it too.

18. finn

finn

I've had 2 in my 36 Ford pickup. They are expensive and don't last on a car driven infrequently.

I won't waste my money on a third one.

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

My PC680's last 7 years on average. As others have said, they're EZ maintenance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Both mine are pc1200s and one is in the trunk 16' of proper size cable and a high compression 389 hooked to it! works flawless.

21. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Odyssey 925 here.

22. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

A couple months ago I got an Odyssey 65-PC1750T-H. Not a lot of experience with it yet but it seems extremely well made. I'll report back in ten years so you know how it's doing.

23. http://www.odysseybattery.com/autobenefits.html

There's a full replacement warranty for 3 & 4 years.
    With a 3-7 year life expectancy.
    400 cycles of complete discharge.
    No need to charge for 2 years if disconnected.

24. Anyone else have more info or personal history with the odyssey? My optima finally failed after 5 years so I am thinking on the Odyssey PC 925 so I can also relocate my battery location.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just bought the pc925. Haven't used it yet. It was 137 bucks to my door. Not much more than a regular old lead acid battery.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. JEM

JEM

PC680 is pretty limited capacity, it'll work fine as long as you're not starting a big-block in freezing weather with a crankcase full of 50W, *and* if you don't have a lot of parasitic drains eg. alarms, stereos, etc. If you do you'll be keeping the thing on a trickle-charger.

If you've got room and the extra 10lb isn't a problem I'd go for the PC925, though.

These batteries are sensitive to being charged at too high a voltage, so don't plan on just clamping the thirty-year-old transformer battery charger onto the thing...

27. Bought the 925 will let you all know how it does.

28. captmullette

captmullette

got an odyssey 680 in my A for 3 years still works great......worth every penny