Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline 6 300 swap to carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foulkkustoms, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

I have a 88 ford 300 motor I have no wire harness and want to swap to carb. I've heard you can get a intake and exhaust off and order 300. This is my first motor build I need help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

You can but keep the exhaust and go for an Offenhauser intake and 4 barrel carb

3. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

Do I half to I just want a single carb

4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

The Offenhauser is for a single four barrel carb.

The late fuel injection engines had a really nice split exhust manifold.

I wish that I had known that when I built my sons 300 'cause headers are a pain.

5. motorhead748

motorhead748

I had a 79 F350 crew cab with a 300 & C6 & 3.73`s. a buddy of mine bought it new and then I got it.
    It was all stock when I got it. When I went thru the engine I added a cam, headers and an edelbrock intake that retained the stock carb. I didn't want a 4 BBL as I towed race cars with it and didn't want too hurt the mpg`s. It ran better but I still wasn't happy with it so I removed the intake and milled the carb pad off and welded a plate to accept a motorcraft 2BBL 0ff a 302. It made a HUGE difference. My buddy had a chev dually with a carbed 454 that was pulling a similar load and he could only barely out accelerate but once we were rolling I could stay with him on the 2 loooong grades on the way to the track. It was kinda hard for either of us to believe.
    I would strongly suggest headers and intake. I ran the truck for 100 K and had no problems whereas my buddy who bought the truck new kept a cyl head in stock with a fresh valve job as it would burn valves probably due to the poor distribution of the stock intake.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

the exhaust you have is better than the older 300 cast iron one piece.

you can use the old style intake, but it only has a hole for a two, or one barrel carb.

I dont know of an adapter for a four barrel carb, Im sure there was one made at some point.

The offenhauser intake is the nicest

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

Is there anything else I need to change.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Have you ever seen the Foulk monster.

9. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

Lol

10. Talk to Six Gun here on the HAMB he races one and has used many different induction set ups

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

You will also need a earlier distributor.

12. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

x2 on the late exhaust manifolds. I had the early one piece style and it cracked. Originals are no longer available from Ford and the aftermarkets would last about 1 day longer than their warranty. I used the split manifold with the early 2 brl intake. I had to grind a couple ears down and I used small spacers on the exhaust studs to keep it lined up. It's an F150 with 300,000 km on it and gets 24 mpg loaded or empty. I'm gonna miss that truck when it blows up.

13. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

A lot of good advise here. I'd go with the split ex. manifolds, the one piece manifolds are prone to cracking as mentioned. Motherheads post about installing a motorcraft 2v sure would be something I would look into. The factory carbs offered for it leave a lot on the table as far as performance goes. 300's are great engines and they seem to last forever.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

I did a stock manifold modified for a 2100 motor craft and EFI exhaust. Then went to an Offy and a 500 AFB. There was no contest go the 4 barrel.

15. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

They guy I got thr motor from said #3 rod may be bent and there wad fluid in #3.