Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Philadelphia area Hot Rods + drags

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Goldy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Year 1957 - Bob Wuscher in his flathead-powered '30 A Sedan lining up against Charlie Englert in his hemi-powered '33 Plymouth coupe.

Attached Files:

2. what race track? cool picture

3. Wush

Wush

The race track was Vargo Dragway in Perkasie, Pennsylvania. It was built by Jake Vargo and operated by the Lehigh Valley Timing Association. The LVTA still meets once a month and also has a sit down breakfast, once a month at a local diner. There's usually anywhere from 10 to 25 always in attendance with most all being original LVTA members and there wives.

4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm am looking for any info I can find on this 32 roadster, that was built in Abington PA, in the early 60s. I have gotten some info that some members of the sleepers helped build it. It was owned by a guy named Richard Angle. I would like to find some pictures of it possibly when it was built, so I can put it back as close to what it was then.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

My 36 is an original PA car. Would love to come across some pix of her in here.

6. that could very well be Andy Krauss roadster..don't hold me to it, he is thePAkid1931 here on the hamb.. shoot him a pm

7. Andy's car is a 31 A roadster, mine is a 32

8. ok solves that.. I have seen those very pictures before but cant remember where.. check the Philadelphia modifiers web site?

9. yup, I sent them the info as well, there are a few members that know the car, and gave me some history, but still no pictures.

10. Goldy

Goldy

Buckster, JG Magoo1939 and Wush , Thanks for posting your memories, I probably watched you guys race at Hatfield. As a little kid I hitch hiked to Hatfield every Sunday to the drags, and sometimes on Saturday nights for the stock car races. That would be from late 1956 until March of 1960 when I got my drivers license. I got my license on a Friday and raced at Hatfield that Sunday with my Flathead powered 36 Ford. There were 23 cars in my class and I got beat in the final. I continued to race at Hatfield almost every week until September of 1962, when I went into the Navy. When I got home from the Navy I raced at Hatfield until about 1965.
    My experiences at Hatfield has led me to live an entire life of drag racing including Top Fuel Dragsters and Funny cars. At 69 yrs. of age, I am still racing funny cars and dragsters.
    Hatfield, Langhorne and Atco will always have special memories for me.

11. Goldy

Goldy

Zombiescustoms, I went to Abington High school with all the Sleepers Hot Rod Club guys. I know Rich Engle but havn't seen him for 50 yrs. I have seen a lot of the "Sleepers" guys and I can drop some names of who might have pictures or know where Rich Engle can be reached.

Harry Reiter is a current member of the Philadelphia Modifiers.
    Fred Beckerich lives near Chalfont Pa. has a green 40 Ford Sedan that he takes to a lot of shows like the Road Angels Tileworks, Vargo Reunion, etc. pm me for his cell #
    Tom Marron has a metallic red 40 Ford Coupe with a Hemi in it. He is a Road Angel member. I have his # somewhere.

I listed their cars in case you are at a cruise or show you could meet them.
    These three guys all hung around with Rich Engle back in the day.

They would be thrilled to know that you have his old roadster. Keep in touch through this thread. maybe we can hook you up. Goldy

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Another modifier car,,, Heard my dads old car is in ambler ebay pics 570.jpg

13. Goldy

Goldy

Carcrazyjohn, I would guess, by the picture, that your dad is John Brunette. ????

His 32 was one of the nicest rods anywhere.

14. Goldy, it is my understanding that Rich died sometime ago, I spoke with his widow Sharon about 10 years ago when I first got the car, but she did not have a lot of info.

15. Goldy

Goldy

Zombiescustoms, Sorry to hear that Rich has passed. The guys that I listed might have photos or information because I know that they all hung out with Rich, especially Fred Beckerich. Freddy lived across the street from me, I built my first dragster in his garage in 1961 .Fred talked about Rich Engle all the time back then.

16. Mark T

Mark T

Andy's car is a '31 Model A Roadster, I think it was built by his Grandfather.

I can see the similarities between the two.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  17. FYI--- guys George Bowers one of the original members of the Philadelphia Modifiers passed away, there will be a memorial service for him on January 23rd as soon as I know were I will pass it along

18. Goldy

Goldy

I am really sorry to hear this bad news. I've known George and Ray Bowers since they Drag raced their roadster at Hatfield. These guys are truly legends of the sport in the Philadelphia area. Having built so many legendary machines.
    Bowers brothers race cars will long be remembered. God Speed George Bowers !

19. George Bowers Memorial service... January 23- 5 to 7 is at Shelley funeral home 1460 Easton Rd., Warrington PA 18976

20. 270283

Goldy, here's a pic of a place you'll recognize. The starting line at Hatfield from Spring of '65 taken by a friend of mine. It was my first "legal" drag race in my '55 Chevy. Only picture I've ever had of that car. Sold it several months later before going into the service.

[​IMG]

21. Goldy

Goldy

Those old photos are so prescious, who knew that when we were taking them?
    So many of my race cars I never took a picture of, mainly because I was driving the race car and did not think of getting someone to take pictures.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  22. thePAkid1931

thePAkid1931
    from Eastern PA

R.I.P. George. Not much of a talker but Ray once told me he asked George how he wanted his eggs and George replied "cooked" great guy with a great sense of humor. He will be missed, one of the founding fathers of the Modifiers since '55. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390441876.709160.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Goldy

Goldy

I paid my respects to George Bowers at the memorial service last night. The room was filled and overflowed into the lobby with friends and relatives. There were Philadelphia Modifiers jackets from several different decades worn by the club members. These included the original old blue ones from 1955. George surely will be missed but his memory and his legend will live on. God Speed George.

24. Mark T

Mark T

Hey Goldy

Do you by any chance know a Bruce Powell that raced a '55 or '57 Chevy at Atco, probably mid 60's?

25. Dubcent

Dubcent

That was actually my father Dave Loomis running Tailgunner 1942 out of Maple Grove, i'll try and scrounge up some pictures of her for ya. Also give him a heads up to join in here.

26. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Still looking for any info on Eddie Woodland who was a Philly racer in the late '50s - early 60s. Do the modifiers have a club list that goes back that far?

Larry

27. CHOP36

CHOP36

We have lists that name doesn't sound like one I heard but I will check what area was he from & what did he race ,Thanks

28. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391997015.366789.jpg
    Russell Sifts roadster

29. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392411078.788120.jpg

30. Mark T

Mark T

Hey Larry,

Do you have any idea where Eddie Woodland lived?

I grew up with a Gary Woodland, he and his brothers were into bikes and cars, I'm wondering if Eddie was their father.

I live just north of Phila. in Bucks County. I think the family moved out to central PA. in the early 80's.