Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 Chev Gasser - style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fatbrosracing, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I haven't been able to move on with the body work due to the shed being a bit crowded, so I've been tackling some smaller tasks until I get some space back.
    I bought a set of early Edelbrock valve cover off Evil-bay, and they needed a tidy up.
    The casting on this set was quite rough so I cleaned them up with grinding stones, a split shaft with emery tape, and then a polish.

Attached Files:

mad mikey likes this.
  2. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

After the polish I thought they were a bit bland, so I masked them up, hit them with some etch primer and some Chevy orange, the same as the engine.

Attached Files:

mad mikey and Can U Tig it? like this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What's with all the holes in the valve covers? Is there a really large breather that covers all those holes?

4. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Yes they came with large right angle breathers, but the breather tops were damaged. I run a vac-u-pan system, so I need a breather that incorporates the fitting for the hose to the header collector.

5. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Ok, so here is my solution to the breather to vacupan in the header. I used the original cast right angle parts, and made a new top that looks similar to the original cap. I started with some inch thick ally plate, cut to rough size on the band saw. Turned it in the lathe to make a tube on one end for the hose to the header.

Attached Files:

6. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I rounded the corners with a radius cutter in the mill.Then opened a pocket in the base to intersect the hole in the tube and narrowed the base leaving the top section the original size. This gave it the appearance of a cap, but it's sealed and can only breath through the tube.

Attached Files:

craig b blue and mad mikey like this.
  7. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

With the basic shape done, it was time to make it look more like a casting and less like it came off the mill. Shaping it to match the cast right angle pieces was done with a air grinder and a belt sanding attachment on the bench grinder. I drilled the holes to bolt the two together and gave the hole thing a polish. They ended up a slightly different colour, with the base being cast and the top billet, but I can live with that.

Attached Files:

8. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Good Stuff Right There

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very cool looking and I really enjoy seeing what it being built down your way.

Keep posting and thanks a million. Jimbo

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Amazing workmanship!

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Good progress chris, haven't looked in for a while but it looks like your on a roll

12. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Not much on the '39, had other things going on. Slight change of plans for the intake set-up. The dual quad set-up was cool, but this looks a bit more "Gassery" and the large plenum manifold should reduce any low end torque that might break the muncie if decide to get playful.

The original shaft holes were an odd size, so I bushed them with brass photocopier bushes. The shaft is stainless steel and I milled the arms from aluminium stock, then rounded all the edges to make them look cast. The links were made from round stock. The accelerator cable mount and return spring brackets are steel and I will plate them in gold to match the carb parts.

Attached Files:

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thats a nice job there Chris

14. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

It's a bit crowded in here

Attached Files:

15. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Chris, thanks for the laugh! I don't mind at all getting "blamed" for something like this. I've wondered a few times if you ever did the swap and just found your thread this morning. It looks like its coming along nicely and your fabrication work is top notch. As for the V-gate shifter, I haven't rowed one of those for years but really liked them. Good luck with getting it all sorted out. Subscribed. Eli

17. DH9185

DH9185

Subscribed. Should be an interesting gasser when it's finished.

18. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Thanks mate, Glad you found the post. I haven't been slack, the pick up has to take a back seat for a while. Our little roadster has returned home after being stored at my brothers and it needs some attention to be usable. New floor, rebuilt front end, new brakes and wiring ........

19. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Thanks, love your avatar.
    As soon as the roadster is done I'll be back into the pick-up full steam.

20. lawman

lawman

That is SUPER nice work fellow !!!!

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This build if tuff...nice attention to detail.

22. DH9185

DH9185

Thanks. It's my Army-themed '39 Vietnam Vets Tribute gasser. But you'll be able to haul a load of wood in the back of yours, lol.
    Dave

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Well it's time to get back into the '39 now that this little one is back on the road.
    12377680_561588120664091_5980220304968416458_o.jpg

24. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

New tail lights fitted
    IMG_2383.JPG

25. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I was going to join the two halves of the bonnet together and have a one piece lift off, but the weight of the finished bonnet was going to make it awkward, so a good friend is making some moulds from the spare stock bonnet halves and we will make a one piece fibreglass unit.
    IMG_1999.JPG IMG_2178.JPG

26. Can U Tig it?

Can U Tig it?
    from Central PA

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This is a nice surprise! I was just going thru my Photoshop photos the other day, saw your truck and wondered how you were doing on it. Its good to see it back in progress.

28. Duellym

Duellym

Sweet truck man. Did you make the bed for it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

It's really good getting back into it, I've been doing little jobs on it, but full on into it again now. Totally stripped it back out tonight, to start final body repairs and paint.

30. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Yes, it's just folded aluminium sheet, with filler pieces welded in the corners, but this time around I have put a bit more effort into making it fit together a lot better. I will also be painting it to match body this time.