Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical gas tank?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trollst, Feb 1, 2014.

1. trollst

trollst

For you coupe guys here, I'm building a 28 Chrysler three window, I'm gonna put the tank in the trunk. Anybody have suggestions as to what to use for a tank, or who's tank to use, it'll be a universal style tank, just interested in others ideas, maybe something I've overlooked, thanks.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Fuel cell. try summit, lots of sizes, and types there.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Bend your own tank out of stainless to fit against the seat back, maybe 6" on the floor and back up the other side to about 4" at the top, as wide as possible and add the details. This gives you large capacity, and puts the weight and danger centered

5. trollst

trollst

I've considered making a tank, one of the few things I've never done, just wondered if anyone here knew of something cheap and easy. I think that I'll use something from "tanks" I like their products.

6. marcshall

marcshall

gas tank behind the seat .gives you a usable trunk.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And a possible gasoline bath, in a collision.

8. trollst

trollst

Thanks, but I've built a steel firewall between the cab and trunk, I want gas to stay far away from me. It also stiffens the car considerably, hoping to maybe see the track a time or two.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

and you can suggest a better place?? you people complain about the stock Model A tank, rear mounted tanks, and saddle mount tanks. whats left? What do you want, totally safe? stay in bed. behind the coupe seat is hardest to damage if another car hits you

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

your firewall sounds like a great idea

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I build solid metal bulkheads between the fuel supply, and the passenger compartment, in every vehicle I build, where there is not already one. There should be no way that fuel can directly reach an occupant in the event of a tank rupture.

There is no way to be totally safe, but if you fail to take even the simplest steps to protect yourself and others, your actions are indistinguishable from suicide.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

There are several builds with pictures here on the HAMB where guys used the Mustang tanks like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1968-M...967|Model:Mustang&hash=item2ece36ebd6&vxp=mtr The picture there shows a bottom view the top is actually flat and is commonly used as a dual purpose patch panel and gas tank.Since this is made in Canada check your ebay to avoid any shipping hassles,also since this has the sender included be sure that when you add a fuel gauge you get one for a Fords ohm resistance.

13. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tank makes some great universal tanks if you are going to go in the trunk
    never heard any negatives about their products

14. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree.
    My trucks factory tank is behind the seat in the cab. Not only is it unsafe, but it seems like you could always smell gas.

I'm putting one of these in the bed

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858330

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You only need to pull an occupant from a burning vehicle once, to know how fast they go up, even when the fuel tank has not been ruptured, to understand the danger.

I have done it, twice.

16. von Dyck

von Dyck

Not a bad idea worth considering: My '70 Pinto had a recall to retro-fit a thick rubber pad between the tank and the over-the-rearend crossmember and a bendable filler neck, so that in case of a rear collision, the tank would be less prone to rupture.

17. trollst

trollst

Me too, I had industrial firefighting training when I was younger, it would shock most of you how fast fire takes over in a crash, sometimes there's not even time to get a door open. I have always built firewalls as well, as stated, you have to do all you can not to die in one of these heaps, a minor oversight may kill you.

18. Similar to yours, a '29 cabriolet with universal Tanks tank in the trunk
    [​IMG]

I blocked off the center fill, relocated it to side and kept the fill under the trunk lid
    [​IMG]
    a little modern, but it is out of sight, and you won't be dripping gas on your luggage during a trip. …or needing to unload the trunk to fill the tank.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

In a build like my RPU there is no place to put the fuel tank except in the bed directly behind where we sit in the car.

From what you guys are saying, I am building a death trap :D

20. trollst

trollst

Russ B, I'm gonna go with what you've done, are you happy with the tank in the pics? My trunk is a little deeper and longer than a model a, but it seems its gonna fit o.k.

21. I feel it will work just fine. I have used Tanks tanks before and am happy with the product. My only wish was that I would rather have had the filler located originally where I moved it; but it was not that difficult to drill a new hole and make a cover for the old one. I expect to get the car running in a few months, then I could give you a better answer.