Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects JACK ASS BUYERS. ..Another disapointing day spent with a "builder" Lol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lebl468

lebl468

I gave up on accepting deposits, it usually turned into some crazy 6 month layaway plan.

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When you give a deposit you are saying I'm buying your product and I promise to fulfill my end of the deal by showing up with the balance at the agreed upon time. By accepting a deposit your telling the buyer that the product will be available for you to pick up at the agreed upon time and in the same condition that it is at the time of deposit.

Frank

3. blktie

blktie

Another jerk who probably spends his spare time watching reality shows like Gas Monkey. All of a sudden he thinks he's an expert. Like someone said, Take your wife out and enjoy his $250.

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Hey man not being a jerk but that is true... Heres a real nice one with a frame off done for 29k...

But if he said he was going to buy it he should have. You never should have gave him his deposit. To me deposits are nonrefundable... Its good faith money

5. i dont think we really want him here.
    Al.

6. Wow where is this NICE $29,000 hot rod 46-47 convert..If you check here looks like a nice one is closer to $50,000 I guess it all depends on what your idea of nice is..........

7. I wouldnt waste my time getting quotes for shipping/transpost. A SERIOUS buyer will have no issues finding transport, just give them your location.

In the past, I had found/arrainged transport for cars, and the guys were NEVER happy. I had one guy DEMAND I refund him $200 because after the transpost picked it up, he found another guy who would have done it for $200 less. :rolleyes:

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Bullshit.

Its a deposit, not a loan.

And a handshake is a contract.

He already bought the car, he owes the guy the amount they agreed on and he needs to get his car out of there.

9. I draft up a document that says deposit is non refundable and car has x number of hour/days to be off the property before the car and deposit has been forfeited.. Get it signed. I made a mistake with a bandit trans-am deal and got the short end. Lesson learned

10. silverdome

silverdome

A deposit is "GOOD FAITH" money. You use it to make the purchase or you lose it period end of discussion. It applies to houses, cars, boats, bikes etc.

11. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Here is a couple examples of when a deposit should be refunded:

It's 1984. You put an ad in Hemmings (no photos) offering a 55 Chevy for sale. A buyer from 800 miles away calls, you talk a while, and he says he wants the car. He mails you a deposit. He arrives a week later to pick up the car, and finds that you have in fact a 54 Chevy. You owe him his money back.

It's 2014. You offer a 1960 Corvette for sale, lots of pics and descriptions. A guy comes over, looks at it, and agrees to buy it. He leaves a deposit and you agree that he will come back the next day to finalize the deal. That night, your teenage son, Wellington III, decides to take it for one last spin and wraps it around a tree. You owe the guy his money back.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Glad you at least got something out of it- I probably would have ended up in the can for getting"over emotional".Handshake and a deposit seals the deal.This guy is obviously not on the right wavelength- he probably went home and his wife told him "no". This is why I like buying cars and hate selling them; there's a lot of Sunday shoppers out there looking for something to do(mainly waste YOUR time! Dinner sounds like a good idea. Good luck. Mike from Mass.

13. Prospective Buyers who directly or indirectly seek transport pricing for
    a vehicle from a Seller ....

9 times out of 10 cannot afford the car

If a Seller assists - if the transport goes south - guess who the Buyer
    will blame if he does buy the vehicle ... ?

Leave transport shopping and selection to the Buyer

Jim

14. Having sold many cars I learned the lesson early...ALWAYS print out a NON-returnable deposit paper with 2 copies...one for you and one for him to sign.....makes people commit early and know they have spent the money for your time at least.

15. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

I definitely feel for anyone trying to sell an old car.

I know some people who will call up and talk for hours and then ask about trading an OT car. I guess some people might be open to a trade but most sellers want cash.

I really believe people fall into a few categories:
    1. Dreamers
    2. Nit Pickers
    3. Buyers

I was selling an OT motorcycle and I had three people:
    1. Phone call with low ball offer (sight unseen).
    2. Commit to buy (on the phone), be there in 30. Shows up looks for two minutes and leaves.
    3. Show up, look, buy for asking price.

16. ChefMike

ChefMike

the guy was full of it !and your right a hand shake isnt worth a dam

17. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Ouch, I hope this isn't a true story! None the less agreed

18. big M

big M

These days it seems that time wasters, dreamers, and morons seem to be more plentiful than people that follow through with what they say. After getting burned by a clown who gave a $500 deposit on a car he personally inspected, then bought another car elsewhere and wanted his deposit back [three months later] I refused, as I could have sold the car to another potential buyer. I was taken to small claims court, and because I did not write "non-refundable deposit" on the receipt, I was ordered to return his deposit in full.

Needless to say, any deposit I take on cars are stated as non-refundable.

---John

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are out there for sure. Grinders, tire kickers,etc. Had a high end car for sale. Got a lot of calls and folks wanting to look and go for a ride,etc. Many were older guys with funds I think but just looking for something to do-even flew in to grind on me and make ridiculous lowball offers. Finally gave up and told them it was no longer for sale and had to tell a couple of them to leave. People are not good for their word anymore

20. JACK ASS #3.......Heres another Jack Ass..A fellow from 5 hrs away calls and wants to trade his under restoration 68 442 convert for my Kustom 47 coupe..I tell him I would like to send him more pictures because I want him to get a good look at my car..and we exchange a series of pics..2 days later he calls me and says he would like to trade but has no trailer so is it possible for me to haul the car to him and bring the Olds back..I suggest he drive to look at my car first but he says no need, he wants to trade..This seems stange so I tell him I will need him to pay for half the fuel for the trip ..in advance so that if he changes his mind after I haul the coupe 5 hrs one way I'm not out the full fuel cost if he changes his mind....He says ok ,let me know how much it will cost...a day later I get an email that says he still wants to trade but is unwilling to pay for fuel...Does this guy think I just fell of a turnip truck..WTF is wrong with people!! Im not so stupid I would haul a car 5 hrs so you could look at it....Damn these so called car guys are getting to be a pain in my ass...............

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  21. luke13

luke13

theres some real good lessons in this thread.

22. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

All JACK ASSES, will bail when they have to lay out some cash to make good on their promises to purchase, good way to weed them out.!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

There's an old saying - buyers beware ! Sellers be more aware !

24. Im getting good at this I will 1: Never return a deposit..I don't car if your dog ate your wallet or you knocked up the neighbor girl....if you cant make the agreed deal..YOUR NOT GETTING YOUR CASH BACK!! 2: Never end an add or hold a car without a Deposit because you are coming the weekend to pick it up I don't care what the reason call during the week we can work it out but you email or text the reason don't call ..or don't show the DEPOSIT IS MINE!! 3:Never let someone deal a trade online..These guys let there mouth write a check they cant cash..If the trader has no skin in the game he's not playing here...He pays for fuel in advance if Im hauling or he picks the SOB up himself (preferred) and DRAGS HIS TRADE BEHIND HIM........Im sure its just a little time until I have a 4th rule but that Jack ass hasn't called me yet..........

25. Jason455

Jason455

Last time a guy did that to me I walked away and started working in the garage. He looked at me funny but he was a douche bag. Picked apart everything for hours.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

The only time a deposit should be returned is if the seller fails to keep his part of the agreement period!!

27. Paul B

Paul B

I had a guy try to low ball me $2000. on my t-bird I hit the remote for the garage door left him standing in the driveway.