Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Ford 312 4bbl carb ID Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cabbie, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

I need to rebuild a carb, but cant seem to figure out which kit to get. The carb has ECZ-9510-AA and 2441SA stamped on it. I believe it is a Carter AFB, but cant seem to find a specific rebuild kit for this carb. Would any Carter AFB kit include everything I need?

The link below is an ebay add for my exact carb but I want to rebuild the original, not buy a new carb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item41779ddac8&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

2. strange both my 57 fairlanes had stock holleys are you sure its the stock carb NO DISRESPECT at ya

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Dan,I have rebuilt a fair amount of AFB and Edelbrock Carbs,give these guys a call:http://allcarbs.com/catlist.php Back in the mid 50's they both were used,I raced Y-blocks on the dirt tracks and when we were hunting donor blocks we found more of the Carters on 312 Mercurys but that may have been due to what factory location produced the car.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Some 1957 312s came with AFB carbs, and 2441S is the appropriate number.

5. Top Kick

Top Kick

Ford used four different four barrel carbs in 1957, the carters are the hardest to find kits for, but they are out there. The diaphragm for the vac sec is hard to find.

6. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

It is for sure a carter, and finding a kit with the vacuum secondary diaphragm, and gasket has been the problem. I found a company local to me that will rebuild it for $318, but wont sell a kit. They say that they dont buy kits, only individual parts, so selling a kit it not possible.

7. Sort of off the topic but do they have a set of judging standards for the small birds like they do for the Model A's and Early V8's? Did one of the clubs put out something?

The last time I looked I couldn't find anything but it would sure be useful.

Charlie Stephens

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

9. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

I once I narrowed down that it is a Carter AFB #2441SA I went down to the parts store. The man looked it up and found that Hygrade kit #443A is what I need. It cost $32, and will be here tomorrow. The kit doesn't come with the diaphragm for the vacuum secondaries, but it does come with the gasket. I was able to find the diaphragm online, but am not going to order it because it is $32 by itself. The only reason I want to crack this carb open is to change the accelerator pump. I won't even open the vacuum secondary part and risk ripping ng the diaphragm.

Posted with fat fingers on a small keyboard. Please excuse the typos.