Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Autometer volt gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grobb284, Dec 2, 2009.

1. grobb284

grobb284
    from Ohio

I'm helping a friend with an Autometer volt gauge that is reading inaccurately, it is several volts off. It has been off since he received the vehicle as new (2002 NSRA giveaway car)

I measured 213 ohms internal resistance, was wondering if someone could take a reading on their Autometer voltmeter. This is one with an 8 to 18 volt face.

If I add a 76 ohm resistor, it reads fairly close, reads 12 for 12.1 volts, and reads 14 for 14.3 volts.

Just wondering if it is internally shorted, or just the needle miss located at assembly.

We would just replace it, but they don't make these with the white needle anymore.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't know how you are reading that, but I just came up with 870 ohms on mine. I have one more out in the shop I'll check that as well.

3. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

4. squirrel

squirrel

Since you probably don't want to try to take it apart, there's not much you can do to fix it, but you already found a solution to the problem.....

not sure why you need to know exactly what the problem is with it?

5. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Hit submit too quick. From their website:

Technical Support (Toll Free) 866.248.6357

If you have an Auto Meter product that you think might need to be returned for service or repair, we ask that you please contact our Tech Support staff via phone or email first to discuss the problem that you are having and possible causes and solutions that you can attempt before returning the product to us.

If, after a discussion with our tech group, it is determined that the product will need to be returned, please download, print, completely fill out, and return this form with the product in question to help us provide you with the quickest and best service possible.

6. magooz

magooz

Question, if an Auto Meter (Volt Meter Guage) is hooked to a 12v sorce 24-7 will it draw down the battery? Thanks

7. 24riverview

24riverview

yes

8. Squirrel is right, you found your solution.

To get a "little" closer you coudl put a trim pot on it and get it perfect, but I think the 76 ohm reister gets you close enough.

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

How did you come up with 76 ohm resistor? Trial and error?

Ago

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

This wasn't an "Ebay special", was it? Hot Rod magazine ran an article a few months back talking about cheap Chinese knockoff Autometer gauges.

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Resistors are a great way to "tune" gauges.

I used a couple of radio shack resistors to dial in my original temp gauge to the new style small senders (on newer aluminum heads).

It is now more accurate then the original sender (GM TS-6)

You need a know good temp gun or something like that to verify actual readings

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

^^^ I agree ^^^