Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Ford Falcon Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I got another batch of pictures in my e-mail over the weekend. John finished tuning the panel gaps and has sprayed high-build primer/sealer on the hood, fenders and doors. Now that it has had some time to cure, he will start block sanding body, fitting engine/trans for floor clearance next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics here.

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I went to visit the Falcon a few weeks back and forgot to update my thread! A phone call from John, the builder, this morning reminded me. He has found our misplaced instrument panel.

[​IMG]

Although the car is now ready for paint, the biggest visual change is that the ‘70 Maverick 8" housing is now in place:

[​IMG]

It is hung from the stock springs with ‘60 F100 spring plates. The original Falcon spring plates are also in there to retain the shock mounts:

[​IMG]

The front suspension is all rebuilt and looks beautiful. There are no mods here (we may trim the springs to level the car, but that remains to be seen) except the Scarebird disc brakes:

[​IMG]

The trans tunnel is cut out while John works out a shift linkage using B&M shifter cables:

[​IMG]

You can see the red cables in this picture, plus the considerable engine setback that requires the new shift linkage. A plate to re-locate the bell-crank swivel has also been fabricated:

[​IMG]

Perhaps the most exciting part were the brand-new 3.80 gears and Detroit Locker limited-slip unit waiting to go in:

[​IMG]

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Your not going to do a shelby drop?

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not right now. I've driven my '61 for so long without it, I don't see the need right now - I'm just not throwing my car into corners hard enough for it to matter. On 195 tires, I might never need it.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Update for November 16, 2013:

I don't hunt, so it made sense to go check on the '62 today. Last night I pulled the '65 Mustang tank out of the '61 to take it down. This way Mrs. Cheese will have a stock-type external filler and I will retain the in-trunk filler I've been using.

[​IMG]

The 1970 Maverick 8" pumpkin is rebuilt with 3.80 gears and a Detroit Locker limited slip unit. I brought the old 3.00 gears home with me.

[​IMG]

The brakes are almost ready to go. Turns out most Mavericks used 10-inch rear drums, but my axle is from an early '70 and uses nine-inch drums, which has made locating some parts more difficult. We are still looking for adjusters and parking-brake actuators. Any help? These may be the same as '60s Mustang nine-inch brakes, I'm told.

[​IMG]

The cable-actuated three-on-the-tree is coming along. It shifts but still needs a little tinkering. I am confident it will work, though.

[​IMG]

Lastly, there's a question mark on the engine. The rod caps on a couple of cylinders are ground down more than you'd expect in a balance job. We're going to have it re-balanced just in case. If things are too far out of whack, I've got another 250 that may donate its rods to the cause.

[​IMG]

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Oh, and I think we're going to go with 2001-2010 GM Indigo Blue Metallic for paint.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I got an update over the weekend regarding my ‘62 project. The 250 balancing issues proved to be non-existent, so that’s $150 saved. He also found a 300 six flywheel, which is already neutral balanced. We had some discussions clarifying what I wanted regarding my fuel filler and vent system. I’ve had an in-trunk filler on my ‘61 for a few years now and it’s vastly superior to the stock filler (except the inconvenience of having to open the trunk to fill the tank). I’ll be transferring that to the new car and putting the stock parts on the ‘61.

I also found a pair of Maverick four-lug wheels locally. I’m trying to build a second set to run my snow tires on.

There’s been a slight change in plans regarding my interior. My wife has lost interest in doing the V8 swap on the ‘61 Futura, so I’m just going to sell it. I’d like to sell it as a Futura, so that means the interior will stay with it. That’s fine, since I’m running a column shifter a bench seat seems most appropriate anyway (plus it will accommodate my five-person family that much better).

The original upholstery is still on the bench seats from the ‘62, along with some later slip covers. The slip covers are shot, and I’m hard pressed to remember how good the blue upholstery underneath is. I suspect it may be unsalvagable - at least on one seat.

All of the suppliers illustrate their Futura seat covers, but non show pictures of their bench-seat stuff. Has anyone ordered bench-seat seat covers for a ‘61 or ‘62 from Dearborn Classics or Falcon Parts? How about elsewhere? I’d like to see some pictures if possible.

8. FoMoCoMoFo

FoMoCoMoFo
    from WY

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

10. First class covers; He did the seats in a '64 Caliente I used to have.

11. Anything going on over there cheese?

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Last I heard, steady progress is being made. it should be on the road by April.

I am enthused to see this project finished and one the road! :)

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

14. As for the body, I don't see that, all the bits that make a '62 seem to be accurate. And the bits that make a '61 are absent. As to the engine, well, those are easy to swap and should be considered replacement parts.

Good start, though.

Cosmo

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

There are VIN numbers for a '61 stamped on the inner structure. No doubt the taillights (probably the complete quarters) were spliced in from a '62. What else are you seeing that differs between '61 and '62?

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I paid the car a visit yesterday and took some more pictures.

[​IMG]

The transmission hump is built and the Hurst stick is wearing the knob that came out of the '65 GTO my grandparents bought new and later gave to my dad.

[​IMG]

The seats are installed along with the rear carpet. Because of the custom hump, the front carpet is going to have to be fitted by the upholstery guy.

[​IMG]

The wiring is nearly complete, but the old fusebox needs some repair as do the turn-signal / parking-lamp buckets. All the trim is installed with the exception of the rear window.

[​IMG]

If we remain on track, the car should be complete by the end of the month and can be shown at the Detroit Autorama in early March. Afterward, it will go back to the builder for working out any remaining gremlins, and then road testing / getting dialed in during the early spring.

[​IMG]

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A few minor updates:

1) I purchased a Sunpro repop of a vintage Sun tachometer and a nine-inch chrome air cleaner to replace the Edelbrock Triangle:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2) I got my paperwork confirming I can show my car at the Detroit Autorama, so if you're planning to be there, look for the dark-blue '62 Falcon in the basement.

3) I finally de-coded my trim tag:

Body: 64A = Tudor Sedan
    Color: E = Viking Blue
    Trim: 22 = Light Blue and Medium Blue Vinyl and Body Cloth
    Date: 01B = February 1, 1962
    DSO: __ = n/a
    Axle: 5 = 3.50:1
    Trans: 3 = Fordomatic

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The car arrived home for the first time yesterday! I even got to drive it a hundred yards from where the truck dropped it off. Now it's time to do some detailing before Autorama.

1962 Falcon homecoming.jpg 1962 Falcon garaged.jpg

stovebolter46 likes this.
  19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

After considerable "adventure", the '62 is now sitting in The Basement making her debut at Detroit Autorama Extreme. After a ride down on an open trailer, she essentially took a complete bath in Windex and Meguiar's Spray Detailer, but she looks good!