Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Boyce Asquith '32 Roadster Rebuilt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 24, 2014.

1. I was watching a clip on the KTLA website about the 2014 GNRS and saw what appears to be the Boyce Asquith '32 roadster. Has it been rebuilt after Dave Allen's accident of a few years ago? Does Dave still own it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wow, I had never seen the wreck pics until now.... I too saw the car in the background on another thread. It's either the one or a very convincing clone!

3. Jamie (Jimmy B) -

Dave no longer owns the car (though he still suffers from injuries sustained in the accident).

The car was beautifully rebuilt (i.e., not a clone) by John Lawson of Fresno ... and is now a part of his collection.

I'm at the GNRS ... Shot a bunch of pics of the car ... Will post some here later.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App for iPhone!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. I'm really glad that car was saved. An 8 second real street roadster is rare!

5. Thanks for the info Todd, I look forward to seeing your photo coverage. Sucks Dave is still suffering from his injuries, any other car he may not have survived.

6. doubletubtrouble

doubletubtrouble

Such a cool car and it's nice to see a piece of hot rod history saved

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the rebuild was carried out by hotrodder and lsr racer Tom Walsh, or he was at least involved. I think the car was given to Lawson on the condition that it was rebuilt. Looks like they nailed it.

Chris

8. Chris (Happydaze) -

Although Tom Walsh is a friend of Dave Allen ... and had done some fabrication & engine work on the roadster in the past, Tommy had nothing to do with the rebuild of the car after the accident.

I'm not positive who John Lawson got to resurrect the "Boyce Asquith '32 Roadster" ... I have a pretty good idea who did the body work ... but since there's already enough misinformation on the H.A.M.B. :eek:, I'll refrain from speculating.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App for iPhone!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

For me- it was the highlight of the GNRS today .
    I was not expecting it when I walked up on this car in building 4.
    Seeing the Boyce Asquith roadster back from the wreck made my day.
    The display at GNRS had the wreck pics on display w/ the car.
    I'm happy to hear it's not a clone.
    I knew Boyce when he was a LA Roadster Club member & always loved this car. It defined a bad-ass hot rod that walked the walk AND talked the talk.

I'd love to see the build pics of this resurrection .

10. deucemac

deucemac

Did anybody notice the signage that accompanied the car at the GNRS? The Quote was from some "new" reporter a Pat Ganahi. My son and I were wondering if that was pronounced Gana-HY or Gana-HE What say you PGAN?

11. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I was fortunate to have started my business in the same complex that Terry Finch was in when he was working on Boyce's roadster. He didn't build the chassis but he did the body, hood, interior panels and all the assembly on it. Terry doesn't get near the credit he deserves for all the cars he has built or painted for people like Boyd, Lil' John, Pete Eastwood and others.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

12. I am so pleased to see Boyce's car back and looking better than ever. I love seeing pics and hearing stories of this car. One day I intend to build something very similar.

13. Wicked....any updates? Who, when, what, where.....resto pics?

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should hear the stories when Boyce had his old red '32 with yellow wheels, that he joined the LAR club with!

redo32 likes this.
  15. redo32

redo32

DDD, when you have time, how about sharing a story with us.

16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree...I'm all ears.

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the '32 Boyce came into LAR with in the late 70's.

One late night on PCH 101, Boyce was returning from an event up the coast when a hot Camaro wanted to "choose him off".

In the contest that followed, Boyce experienced mechanical problems.

Luckily, my son lived in Camarillo by PCH, a few miles from Boyce's breakdown.

Boyce called me, I gave him my son's phone #.
    The '32 was transported to my son's garage, & off loaded where it stayed until Boyce could bring a trailer a week later.
    Keep in mind that Boyce had a chrome plating business to run during the week, so the roadster was not a priority.

All ended up well, & Boyce had the mechanical problem fixed & made it to the LAR club meeting 2 weeks later,---Smiling!