Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will these rims work on my 1960 Corvair?.......you guys like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Apr 15, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

2. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I like them,dig the blue paint.Go with what you like,or everyones cars will look the same

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

What car are they from? What year or period are they from?

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Clears...??? Are those made out of that new transparent aluminum I keep hearing about...???

Shane, I'm not crazy about those wheels...I'd prefer to see chromes and moons on your 'Vair...but whatever floats your boat, ya know...???

R-

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the honesty....maybe I wil re-think this. Thats why I asked. If you start a thread and the first 5 responses are negative....it's usualy a bad thing.

Thanks guys....I will keep looking. :cool:

6. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I always though EMPI spoke style wheels worked on Vairs.

[​IMG]

8. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Oooh!

Very nice....If I found something like these on Ebay I would jump.

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

The guy said the bolt pattern is wrong anyways.....maybe thats a good thing.

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'd spend a little more time on what you have and what you need.

Pretty sure a corvair is 4,5 bolt pattern, and the ones you are looking at are 4.25.

They were popular on SCCA Cortina's, etc.

The Empi's are 15" which would probably mean you'd have to use modern low profile tires. ( and the bolt pattern wont match )

11. unklgriz

unklgriz

most of the EMPI stuff is for the VW bolt pattern. I would go to the Corvair sites and see if you can find anything there.

Larry

12. snelson57

snelson57

Nope...don't like them.

BTW...was past Baleigh the other day. I think it was Tuesday. Saw her out front...looked pretty good.

Scott

13. badshifter

badshifter

The ebay ones look like Daisy Mags by American Racing. Corvairs always look good to me with American Racing Vectors, or best of all Minilites like these:

Attached Files:

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

If they are really magnesium, I would think they would be a pain to keep polished, though they might look cool just going natural after being stripped (That didn't sound right!).

I agree probably good they are the wrong bolt circle. I wouldn't want to fix the bad one.

I think a set of chrome reverse with Spyders and thin whites would look cool on the vair.

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

YEP brain lock, I guess, It was the Mini lite name I was trying to remember and the empi name came in and stuck.

[​IMG]

16. 52pig

52pig

I'd go with some smoothies and baby moons.

17. If you were going for a road race look then the Libre's would be appropriate, as would Mini Lite's (my choice). If you are going "Custom" not so much.

18. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Those steel wheels wouldn't be my first choice. MiniLites are cool, but more expensive. I'm sure you'll find something cool soon.

19. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

I think there are minilites on there but pricey.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  20. Super442s

Super442s

Another vote for MiniLites

[​IMG]

21. 61TBird

61TBird

If you can find a set of MiniLites that don't break the bank,go with those.
    If not,Astro Supremes and Skinny White Walls.

22. CShroom

CShroom

I prefer keeping it simple myself.

[​IMG]

Those are stock dog dishes that I buffed out and put on.

IIRC, the Z cars rims were a direct fit, but they do look a bit odd on them.

23. You are right on on the Z-car rims. Brad54 has a set on the wagon he picked up.
    I think a few people misunderstood and thought you were asking about the wheels that are already on it. Too bad the Libre's don't fit.

24. Back in the '70s there were a lot of Minilite copies available and there may be manufacturers still offering them.

Another option would be to use stock rims with wheel spiders and chrome lug nuts, or chrome reverse wheels, if you're looking for a period-style set up.

Chevy offered a wire wheel cover for the Spyders and that might be another option.

25. Black Roadster

Black Roadster

Ya, I know this is an old thread but these look nice, for those folks who are searching for a vintage style of wheel for an early Corvair as these cars do not have too many wheel options.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You're really limited with the 4 bolt hubs. Maybe Ralph Nader should weigh in. Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. Black Roadster

Black Roadster

28. Just Jones

Just Jones

Corvairs were - and still are - great little road race cars when set up right. For that reason, Minilight style wheels are very fitting, especially if that is the direction you want to go with the car. Had them on a Turbo Corsa Corvair I raced in the early 80s an loved them - but that was what I was into, for that car.

However, if you are thinking more hot rod or custom (being that is what this site is dedicated to), then I would agree with what others have said here and would go with steel wheels and beauty rings, chrome reverse or baby moons, or something like that.

It really is about what direction you want to take the care, style wise. Most importantly, what do YOU think would look good?

29. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

i agree with steel wheels thats what i had on mine before i sold it

Attached Files: