Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running a Lokar "Nostalgia" shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alienbaby17, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Hey all-

I'm thinking of getting one of these to run on the c6 in my 55 f100. Anyone using one had good or bad experiences? Also I was thinking of getting the 23" model, but now I see they have a brand new 32" shifter- does the 23" work ok with a bench? About how long is it really once the bends have been taken into account? OK- that's all, just looking for some feedback.

Thanks, Jay

2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Got one in my model a r/p/u. works great i have the shorter one. jim.

3. Slide

Slide

I've never installed one on a Ford tranny, but on GM trannys, they can be a pain to install, depending on the vehicle. It's easiest if you can remove enough of the "hump" in the floor above the tranny so you have pretty much the entire tranny exposed from the point where "bellhousing" becomes "tranny case" to the tailshaft area.

Once installed, they work real good, and the build quality is also very good.

If you don't have much room around your tranny, expect to lose your temper a couple times during the install, but then you'll find it was worth it in the end!

4. Ratty

Ratty

Got one on the Torqueflight in my 32 rpu , works real good , but needed a bit of setting up . It's about 21" long after you take out the bends , but there's a hell of a long throw from park to 1st , if you're 3 up on the seat put the girl in the middle ;)

5. superfan99

superfan99

Take a look at the "Gennie Shifter" I think it is a better engineered product. Just my two cents.

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Get a Gennie Shifter, not a Lokar.

7. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I'd get the gennie. The Lokar works ok and the quality is ok but you can't use the cool shift knobs on the Lokar like you can on the Gennie.
    Panhead Guy

8. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I just thought of another comment about Lokar. I put a straight six in my '37 Chev. P/U with a th350 behind. I bought the Lokar kickdown kit to use with my sideways mounted Holly 4BBL carb. Guess what? The cable wasn't long enough because they only consider the standard SBC application. Do ya think they would exchange the one for another? Hell no! Can't do that!
    Panhead Guy

9. Yes, get the Gennie Shifter, and not just because my son works for them haha. They are very well enginered and you have an unlimited choice of shift knobs whereas you don't have many choices because of the stipid push buton on the "Other" shifter.

Gennie makes a way cool nostalga shifter that is pleanty tall enough for any car.

So call Streamline Hotrod Parts and order a "GENNIE SHIFTER" today and be somebody!!!

10. RF

RF

Quality of the Lokar vs. Gennie is the same, not an issue. Shifter knob choices are, which is why it's easier to go with a Gennie. What nobody ever mentions is Hurst's "street rod" shifter, which is basically a Gennie, just engineered a lot better.

11. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I have a locar 23in shifter for my th350 It has the problem of bouncing into a lower gear when you hit a bump! OUch!!!!

12. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I have a locar 23in shifter for my th350 It has the problem of bouncing into a lower gear when you hit a bump! OUch!!!!

13. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I like the knob choice on the Genie, but I like the lock out of the Lokar. I bought a Lokar because I have a 4 year old gearhead daughter that likes to get in the car when she is out side and I have a sloped drive way. The first thing that came to mind was popping dads model A out of gear when I was little. The quality is exellent in both I think, it is just preference. If I didnt have a little one I would have went with the Genie to get away from the button though.

14. FONZI

FONZI

Good call Rob. I had never even seen this line of Hurst shifters.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/automatic_shifters.pdf

I have a 23" "SWAN NECK" Gennie. No complaints.

FONZI

15. RF

RF

It's not the shifter's fault...it's the installer's! Tighten the shifter base. That or your detent is wasted.

16. Do a search on "Lokar". Recently there was a very "lively" :eek: thread discussing the pros/cons of Gennie and Lokar shifters.

Not trying to squash this thread, just pointing out that alot of the info has already been disseminated.

17. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Looks like the Hurst one is only available for GMs. Maybe that's why it has limited popularity.

Jay

Thanks for all the advice and recomendations.

18. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Go with the gennie like they suggested i got a lokar and wish i would have got the gennie much better product and shift knobs are everywhere.

19. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

He he, yep a friend of mine has a 23" Genie in his '40 Pickup the engine and trans are set back quite a bit and he actually has a "slot" in the front edge of the bench seat upholstry for "first gear" and yep the girl gets the middle seat when three up:D . So watch the throw with the long shifters.

A tech tip to make your own long shifter- use a golf club(shaft)! they are long tapered strong and chromed already! plus they have some interesting different style "shift knobs" already installed!

20. straybilly

straybilly
    from Denver

I wouldn't get the Gennie shifter! I would go with any other shifter out there...why? Gennie Shifter has been using that crappy design for along time. They will send out broken/chipped shifters/sticks.

Don't listen to me I am quite biased after they fired Jim and fucked over Woody and about every other employee there too...I'm glad I walked out when I did!

Sorry Ben I still love you and I know your making your sells quota with out us!

21. I have the 16" Lokar Nostalgia on my '59 Ford (C6 trans). It was kind of a crappy setup in the begining. It would get caught up and stuck. Now it'll never go down past drive (1st, 2nd) but I dont use them anyway. I got rid of the plastic knob that was on it with the button, and replaced it with a 8-ball, (so the button is always down). Not to safe but it looks cool. Threw a Hurst boot on it and left the old clutch in my car, and you'd never know the car had an auto.
    -Dean

22. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Holy Crap! I wish I'd seen those before!

I have the B&M street rod shifter in my '55. While it is a well built piece, the detents SUCK. It is not at all conducive to "spirited" driving, especially with a 5.13 gear!

If I don't have a 4 (or more) speed setup by then, I'll have to try that one in the coupe!

23. Shane T.

Shane T.

All you guys bitchin about knob choice all you have to do is buy the lokar adapter from Richard's stuff and you can use any knob your heart desires. cost 22 dollars. I have the 23" nostalgia in my A p/up, works great. Not putting down Gennie by any means, but don't let shifter knob choice hold you back.
    just my 2 lincolns
    Shane T

24. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I put a Lokar in my car. Yes a little complicated to install, it's very applicaton specific, you are able to put the shifter exactly where you want it. Once installed never needs adjusted again and VERY rigid. I like something I can hang on to. Yes build your floor hump after it's installed. I did mone when I did the mock-up.

25. CruZer

CruZer

I have the 23" Lokar Nostalgia shifter on my C4 and it was pretty easy to install and works fine.

26. TxRat

TxRat

does the gennie shifter work on a switch pitch buick tranny...

27. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I have the 23" Lokar Nostalgia shifter in my 52 F1. Love it. No problems here.
    Couldn't find the adapters on Richards Stuff page to change knobs but I would like too.
    Later,Bill

28. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I ran a lokar in my 'ol 53 chevy....worked great, was pretty much trouble free.

I have had both "Gennie" and Lokar, and prefer the Lokar.

my $.02

29. diggermike

diggermike
    from sachse,tx

HAVE SOLD BOTH IN THE PAST,BOTH ARE GOOD QUALITY AND FIT. UNLESS THEY HAVE CHANGED THE GENNIE- IT'S EITHER A MID/FRONT MOUNT OR A TAIL MOUNT ARE YOUR CHOICES.-WITH THE LKR IT HAS A SINGLE MAIN PLATE/BODY THAT ALLOWS UP TO 12 DIFFERENT POSITIONS, IT WILL PROBABLY INTERFERE WITH YOUR SEAT. BUT THE GENNIE MIGHT ALSO.ENDS UP BEING PERSONAL CHOICE IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE ?'S GIVE ME A CALL I'LL ANSWER ANY YOU HAVE WHETHER YOU BUY FROM OR NOT. LATER,DIGGERMIKE C/O SACHSE ROD SHOP

30. diggermike

diggermike
    from sachse,tx

OH, AND NOW YOU CAN PUT ANY KNOB ON THE LOKAR WITH A NEW LITTLE ADAPTER THEY CAME OUT WITH