Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 Chevrolet fleetmaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 9, 2013.

1. jazz1

jazz1

Your car is great! Your interior is very nice,,I had no idea how swanky they were.. I am working on my own 48 chev sedan delivery and we had it home a couple days before realizing there was wood graining on the interior..it's a bit soiled....

2. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks jazz, sedan deliveries are bad ass, so much potential you have a bigger canvas to work with if you know what I mean and have a lot of room to get really creative. I want one one day, to be my tool hauler I plan to start doing house calls with the work I do on cars. itll happen, just want to find the right one

3. mack57

mack57

Your doing an amazing job!! I'm working on a '48 Stylemaster coupe and the interior is shot.... What is a reasonable cost to have the front seat recovered in vinyl? I'm going to be doing the door /kick panels. Your pics have given me a ton of ideas!!!
    Thanks, Mack

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks mack. it all depends on what material you want to use, if your going to have it made or just get the kit. so price varies in those 3 ways and exactly how much of the inside is done. if you can post a pic and list what needs done and what kind of fabric you want ill be able to give you a good estimate on what itll run. and im glad I gave you some ideas, what im working on now is pretty cool, ill have pictures posted up by Thursday, it really is cool youll see =)

finished this this morning, didn't have visors or the handles to assist you getting out of the car, so I made them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and polished these. made the hand straps out of the extra visor material that came with the headliner kit so it all matches

[​IMG]

5. gallogiro

gallogiro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

already have an outside sun visor so ill set them to the side to work for the side windows

[​IMG]

and the assist straps done and mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

working on a few things for the inside, should be done by Thursday ill post pics its pretty cool hope it comes out good

6. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

7. mack57

mack57

Wow! Awesome!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

rear mounted shoulder seat belts are easy on these chevy's.

Attached Files:

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks guys. and that's cool chevyfordman, now I can put vintage seatbelts in it. no I wont be making those, id want them to work so no no being creative here =b I plan to one day drive kids and family in it so id want that in there.

tomorrow is Pomona swapmeet, going to be there 5am since I have to leave at 11am to go to work. taxes coming in, not looking but might just find a potential project if I see something I just cant pass up. I seen pictures of 40s zephyr coupes that look awesome that swept look, looks so cool so if I see a 40s chevy coupe like the one in your avatars for the right price im bringing it home they have the same lines and swept body im talking about. if not going to look for something I can build but this time focus on performance and speed instead of how original it came out. I will take plenty of pictures, youll see them on here about 8pm tomorrow when im home from work =)

10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

That's why I put the shoulder harness in as its required for kids in car seats. This is my only car to take the grand kids in.

11. gallogiro

gallogiro

quick history lesson on historic los angeles theaters, in the end youll see where it comes into play with my car. i was born in LA and its my city and i love everything about it especially old and historic things about it. i was very young in the late 80s, still a kid under 10 but i remember going to downtown LA with my parents to see movies. this was before the big 30 screen cinemas were around so movie theaters only had one screen and played two movies a night. and the movie theaters that were in downtown LA that were still showing have been around since the teens and 1920s so they all had a victorian look, elegant and very decorated. i remember going to all of them and while the movie was playing my parents would be watching the movie and id be running around the lobby and basement of the theaters playing with other kids. guess there wasnt that many kidnappers and molesters back then we could do shit like that not today. but i been to all the theaters, and remember then even though i was very young and the United Artist theaters was one of them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i ran into a guy that does construction and turns out the United Artist theater thats been opened and around since 1927 is being turned into an ace hotel, a super fancy 5 star hotel with a pool and a club. when his construction company bidded and won the job, alot of the theater was torn out and thrown away, some kept. some things he knew were historic and couldnt throw out and took home. when i found this out i had him sell me some of the stuff he took home

in the earlier pictures and in the marquee you can see the original marquee letters. then they ripped them off to start the construction

[​IMG]

and i was able to buy my pick of the actual letters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and when they were tearing down the walls in the storage room, they found this bottle one of the workers left between the walls when they built it. its a Nu Grape bottle from the los angeles bottling company and the bottle style is the original bottle that was from 1920

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's cool. They just don't make movie theaters like that no more. My parent's used to go see movies on Broadway back in the late 30s and throughout the 40s. They would go from one theater to another and sometimes stop at Clifton's for a bite to eat.
    And often they would go the the theater's to hear the big bands play like Glenn Miller, The Dorsey Brothers, Gene Krupa, etc.....etc.....Broadway was the place to be.
    It's a shame that that beautiful theater is gone. Seem as if people now days don't have a appreciation for those old wonderful work of arts.

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

exactly, I know =) I was lucky enough to get to see them the last years they ran films. did you ever go inside as well? and cliftons was another place I remember well as a kid, the forest looking dining hall. there is a theater restoration group going around restoring these theaters that are still salvageable but more than half were gutted out and turned to modern churches or swapmeets =(

look at the chaneliere, its the original it had since 1927 when it opened. i got a piece of the chandeliere in the main lobby that had some of the pieces replaced because they were damaged

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in these youtube videos

1:52 and 2:06 you can see the crystals on the base of the chandalier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuNc7cJ5TUQ

and in 1:39 on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iImxi_ZLLWY

this video shows the theater how i remember it before it got shut down and all fucked up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaNBWrkifc

and in 8:43 of that video when the curtain starts to fall, this was the lever in the projector room that raised and lowered it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  14. gallogiro

gallogiro

so I thought I should put that piece of LA history and my childhood into the car but how? keep an eye out for the crystal =) now I bought this just as a display because it didn't work and was in pieces I bought it for 5 bucks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so I fixed it and put it together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok lets go =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and because the crystal lights up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a light on the base to light up along with the dash lights

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Love what you did with the Crystal and I really dig that old record player. I never had the chance to see the interior of the theater even though I've been downtown numerous times, however, I've been to Cliftons numerous times and it's currently being restored to it's former glory which will include a number of bars, bakery, a market and a fine dining restaurant at the top of the building.
    Keep up the good work. You are saving a piece of history.

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

18. gallogiro

gallogiro

forgot I had this done, threw it in there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Schnitz

Schnitz

Perfect example of 'next level'. Amazing!

20. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks schnitz I try to keep any changes tasteful and only use vintage/antique pieces and parts whether theyre car related or not, nothing out of auto zone or off any car newer than 50s to keep the classic essence there if you know what I mean. right now im trying to figure out where to mount the car stereo. I like how the glovebox looks the gray looks nice with the woodgrain and even though the glovebox will hide the radio fine, I kinda want to keep it looking how it looks. thatll be my last resort. im playing with some hinges Im going to see if I can get it to swing out from under the dash. the other issue im having is where am I mounting the rear speakers. I really don't want to cut holes in the rear deck, so im trying to figure that out. if anything ill cut holes in the upper armrest panel I was thinking so I have to figure that out as well.

I finally registered it, in my name now along with my 59 and paid the tags on my 65 so all my cars are road ready registered and legal

[​IMG]

since im going with new plates for now, I want to find cool plate frames that don't look too modern. have to figure that out as well even though the plates are modern themselves =/ ill eventually get the yellow and black plates that's for sure, just waiting for some at the right price to pop up for now I just wanted to make sure things go smooth registering it and it did. I let the registration go off my 65 from 2011 to technically 2013 and look what the fees came out to, paid them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. upspirate

upspirate

Does your rear shelf have fabric over it?
    Try having the fabric you used lay over the speaker and see if the sound comes though clearly.....don't know if a tighter weave affects sound much, but speakers were always covered with "speaker cloth" in old home cabinets.

You could mount the speaker anywhere behind your fabric if it sounds though and you won't see the speaker

22. I just put Bose speakers in my Olds behind the rear seat so they would be hidden. The sound goes through the back part of the seat and sounds fine.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The Chino Corn Feed Run is going to be up on March 22 (they changed the month from August to March). It would be cool to see your 48 on display there.

24. gallogiro

gallogiro

that's one thing I was thinking, just have them play through the fabric and hope it doesn't sound too muffled. just cut a bunch of little circles to the board part that the fabric is glued to so the sound just has to make it past the fabric only. other option I have is on here

[​IMG]

and take these or something similar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380774708903?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

cut out the size on the panel, remove the picture and glass and use the frames only as the speaker cover and have this cover the speaker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-RAD...556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afa962144

you get what im saying? what do you guys think? itll be big enough to put a 4x6 speaker and theres room behind the panel for it to fit. any thoughts?

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's a good idea. I say go for it

26. gallogiro

gallogiro

I should make the corn feed run, all that I have to do is the timing I been lagging on but the interior and everything else you saw its done. and for the speaker, you get what im saying right? the brass frames with the cloth in the middle will be the speaker "grille" if you know what I mean

and I could do the same with these two little ones to mount some tweeters somewhere

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331074727871?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I know what you are thinking of and I think it's a great idea and it fits in with the "theme" of your car. I think it will be very impressive at car shows.

28. gallogiro

gallogiro

cool =) now its a matter of If I mount on the upper armrest panels or on the rear deck but using the same thing for a grille

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It will be more noticeable on the upper armrest panels so I think that would be the best place. You can still add speakers on the rear shelf but hidden so you will have 4 rear speakers and one speaker where the front factory speaker goes.
    Then you can cruise to the Oldies.

30. gallogiro

gallogiro

yea I liked it there too, and wont have to cut my rear deck. I don't plan to use an amp or trunk speakers since I cant really see this car being heard coming down the street bumping music that loud, as long as the passengers inside can hear it loud and clear im happy so ill just need a head unit no amps or bass speakers to play oldies. motor will be loud, the guy I bought it from had it bored out so itll be alittle louder than average but it shouldn't drown out the radio.

by the way, I know its older than the car but that ticket for the free refrigerator at the LA million dollar theater was from august 1933, but thought it looked cool in the windshield instead of the glovebox

[​IMG]

tomorrow I start the preparations for upholstering the trunk, just have to go around the inside of the trunk with a silicone gun to shoot some silicone on any trim screw holes where water can get in. the trunk will look really nice, you guys wont be disappointed hopefully I can get it started by Monday and have it done by Thursday. only thing thatll take a bit of time is making the spare tire tub, I got some ideas for that