Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead mechanical/electric fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by daddio211, Jan 20, 2014.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Guys, I need some advice. I got the 8BA in my '50 Ford running, but my mechanical fuel pump isn't. I've ordered a rebuild kit from Mac VanPelt but it won't be here for a few days.

In the meantime I'll add an electric pump mounted at the tank and keep it in place for backup. My question is this:

I know the mechanical pump (when working) will draw through the electric pump, but if I push fuel with the electric pump (rated at 6-8 PSI) where should my fuel pressure regulator go?

I have one on the shelf but haven't hooked it up because the stock config will work. Just for clarification, I'm running two 97's on an Offy intake.

So would the proper line of command be TANK --> FILTER --> ELECTRIC PUMP --> MECHANICAL PUMP --> PRESSURE REGULATOR --> CARBS.

1390242629647.jpg

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

2. flatcat

flatcat

I would think the last thing in line before the carbs would be the regulator.. 2-3# for the flatty

3. prpmmp

prpmmp

Thats how mine is set up!!Identical set up, Have about 1000 miles on it(so far so good),did have to adjust the regulator a little lower pressure(holley). Pete

4. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Yep you got it. I don't like filters on the suction side.They are pumps not sucks! Unless you plan on pumping sand and gravel your electric pump will be just fine...do think they are OK just after the Mechanical pump.

5. I have an electric back by the tank for prime and back up-toggle switch on-off-momentary on (for prime). Recommended filter between tank and pump. Up to original mechanical pump, low pressure regulator (2-3 psi) w/ gauge, final filter, then Holley 390 4 bbl. Have little bit of cam, headers, duals. Works fine, no stumble, no hesitation on stock pump only. Seems to get better mileage (who cares) with the elec pump turned off.
    RB

6. daddio211

daddio211

7. I drove my old Flathead Deuce sedan for almost 17 years and never had a mechanical fuel pump.

The fuel pump was near the gas tank. HRP

8. daddio211

daddio211

Okay guys, another question.

I have one of those Holley "T" kind of pressure regulators that feed in the bottom and out the sides. I figured I would bench test it first and set the pressure to two pounds. I can only get it down to about 5 psi at the lowest. I may be doing it wrong though.

I set my air compressor to 20 psi and plugged the output ports with my hand then used the compressor into the input. I know PSI is PSI, but I know air also compresses differently than liquid.

Could the regulator be bad, not adjustable that low, or maybe an issue with the air vs. liquid difference?

9. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Holley regs come in two types and the one you have would be the high pressure one (4 1/2 - 9 psi).

You need the low pressure reg (1 - 4 psi) that is factory set at 2.7 psi.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. daddio211

daddio211

Thank you VERY much!

11. daddio211

daddio211

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  12. lorodz

lorodz

How many psi on a holley 94 with an electrical fuel pump i have it set to 4 psi and this thing is pissing gas out of everyplace its brand new ??

13. daddio211

daddio211

14. 3blapcam

3blapcam

You can take the "higher" pressure regulator (if you already had one sitting around collecting dust) take it apart & grind down the little tab inside & it will achieve the lower pressures. It's been a while since I did that, but those regulators are very simple inside... common sense & a little thought and you can make the mod in minutes. If it doesn't work at first, grind a little more till your good! Better than waiting for one to show up!

Or, just buy the right one brand new for $28 off ebay.

3blap.

15. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, but I picked up the low pressure one at my local "real" parts store yesterday for $32.

I hadn't even thought about modifying the higher pressure one, I'll pull it apart and see what it looks like. Great tip and thanks again!

16. stimpy

stimpy

one question is your electric pump running all the time?? or only on a switch as with todays gas in the summer that might cause a vapor locking problem from the draw thru restriction on the electric pump when its off with the higher altitude and heat you have out there as they are blending gasoline for EFi more than carbs which will vaporize faster but is ment to be under pressure . running the electric with the mechanical won't hurt as it will just push thru the mechanical pumps valves ..

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Looks good!

One thought on having a electric primer as a "backup". If the mechanical pump stops working it is more then likely because the diaphragm is ripped. If you force fuel through it, you will most likely also be forcing fuel into the crank case. Just a thought.

Nice addition to running just the electric is you can add an inertia switch to shut the pump off encase there is an accident.

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

On my 51 Vert, I used to run an electric pump all the time and kept my stock pump on it too. It worked fine that way I used a universal low pressure pump for carbed imports that was rated at 2-3 PSI and I never had any problems with it even without a regulator.

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Holley regulator requires some flow in order to set the pressure, or at least mine did. ;)

The only difference between the low and high pressure Holley regulator is the spring. The rebuild kit for that regulator includes the high and low psi springs along with a diaphragm. Much better to simply change the spring rather than do any grinding, imo. :(

Most electric fuel pumps (I don't know of any that don't) require a filter before the pump. This should be course in nature, or around 100 micron. A fine final filter before the carbs is a good idea, and in the 10-40 micron range.
    :)

20. Daddio,
    You run your regulator as close to the carb or carbs as is feasibly possible. Always.

Now the question becomes this will the electric pump burst the diaphragm in your mechanical pump and even if it doesn't in the event of mechanical pump failure will the electric pump pump fuel past the busted diaphragm in your mechanical into your oil pan.

Just a question that one should ask one's self.

21. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Sounds like a lot of effort to complicate things. Why don't you wait a few days and rebuilt the stock pump?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Yep and keep a 30 dollar backup in the toolbox right next to the 1/2 and 9/16 in the off chance you need to roadside it. Easy peasy.

23. cs39ford

cs39ford

I got elec pump at tank holley reg on firewall running 97s with 1 lbs press been running this way since 1990 and no problems Thats my 2 cents Hope this helps