Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to price parts for Swap Meet???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Unless you have nothing else to do in life: no job, no life, no wife, no project car, and are bored out of your mind, sell it as one lot and move on.

Only way those deals are good, if you buy the whole lot for a few identifiable parts you knowingly need going into the deal, get it cheap, and get rid of the rest.

2. I'd start out by going through 1 box of stuff, research what you can, so you can get an idea of what percentage is actually salable. I wouldn't sit at a rainy swap meet trying to sell a set of points for some obscure make of car, but I would list it on Ebay, because if I needed a set of points for my obscure car I would search Ebay, not some rained out swap meet.
    Do you know of anyone who needs something to do, make them a deal to give them some of what they can research and sell on Ebay. If you use Ebay, relisting is easy, and it is like going to another swap meet next week, without the hassles.
    I sold a Studebaker chassis for more than I paid for the complete car, because there was a set of points in the distributor.

3. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

When the squirrel talks nuts...it's time to start taking notice!

4. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

That would never happen , flea market vendors are all honest , NOT !

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IF you're not pressed for space (ie; you're not paying $125 a month for a storage space) have some spare time and are not in a hurry to unload it...

I'd go through totes a couple at a time and pull/research parts that are likely to sell for more than $20 and list them on ebay.
    A few hours of work per week might make you some extra car $$$.
    I wouldn't mess with lesser valued parts unless you have multiples of the same part and could do a wholesale bundle that would get you North of $20. It's way too much work photographing, listing and shipping $5 parts "onsie twosie".
    Cherry pick it out and see how it goes. If it becomes a time drain, doesn't sell, you can always go the wholesale route.

As others mentioned; if you have family, job, project car commitments that don't afford you the time, wholesale it out in groups to a dealer.

Same deal if you don't need the money and make serious $$$ doing side work in your free time.

Keep in mind though that you'll do better wholesaling if you research the parts so that you and the buyer/dealer know what's in the lot. Otherwise he'll be offering to buy it by the pound (really cheap).
    Same goes for the swap meet route. You'll need to know exactly what's in the box.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you determined how old this stuff is? If there is good artwork and logos on the boxes they may bring good money from people that just put them on the shelf, contents don't matter at all to these collectors. Bob

7. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Hey Kid, heres your chance to boost sales at hershey....:rolleyes::D

8. racer32

racer32

I can't believe so many people are telling you it's not worth the trouble. I'd LOVE to hit a lick like that. Digging through old parts and finding a bargain is one of the reasons SOME folks go to swap meets. Believe it or not, there are guys out there that actually USE points, know the part numbers of points and condensers that fit their cars, and will hunt swaps to find NORS name-brand Made in USA stuff.

It also can be a good way to earn extra money if YOU know what a part fits and can buy a bunch of them cheap and flip them. I've done pretty well over the years buying NOS stuff online, then turning right around and listing it back on that auction site with a description of what it fits, part numbers, and good pics. If you've got a tote full of Stant G22 and/or G23 gas caps, LMK. I know what they fit and the correct OEM part numbers to list them under, lol. I also need a few for my own personal use.

Whatever you do, don't just toss the stuff in the trash. If you don't want to mess with it, list it all on craigslist at $XXX for the lot or $xx/tote. Guarantee someone will buy it all. Just make sure it's not a scrapper that's only interested in it for the copper/metal value...scrap buyers are the scourge of the Earth and destroyers of the future of our hobby.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would take them to the swap meet and spread a box or two out on a tarp a place a sine on it saying 1 dollar a piece or 5 for 3 and maybe have a 2 or 3 dollar pile or what you think would be a good value. Then after its been picked through I would price what is left as a lot and take a reasonable offer for it.

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

I actually sell alot on ebay. Also I have a storage shed just for these parts, so they wont cost me anything to store. I think I will take the time and just sort them out. I think alot of the parts are from roughly the 60s.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Unless you do some research and mark every last box as to what it fits,you won"t have any luck at the swapmeet unless you sell it as a lot. Been selling at swapmeets for 25 years and won"t even mess with stuff like that if it was free. Load,unload,load,unload,stick it in the ware house and there it sits til you throw it out.

12. racer32

racer32

Good plan!