Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Ford engine swap with a twist (updated w/pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T&A Flathead, Feb 5, 2012.

1. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

The grease pen is original, i dig it too

2. 62rebel

62rebel

the Mustang manifolds dump straight back, right? any problems using those?

3. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Passenger side dumps straight back, drivers side dumps between 3rd and 4th port at about a 45 degree angle.

There are some that go straight back on both sides but i wouldn't recommend it, especialy with trying to clear clutch and shifter linkage.

4. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes me want to put my 3 on the tree back in...

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I wore the original 4.10 rearend out this summer, it started making a lot of noise. Now with the added power of the 289, i wanted a higher gear. I found a rearend out of a low mileage 51 automatic car. It had a 3.30ish ring and pinion. I put that 3rd member in the car today, and what a difference it made. No noise and it made it nice to drive in town without the OD, and when on the highway its perfect.

While i had the rear in the air, i put jamco 4" drop rear springs and 51 shackles in. I will take a picture tomorrow.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. mercjurij

mercjurij

Hi, great thing. which year and models were these engines used??

7. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Any 260 and 289 thru 1964. I have heard early 65 289s still used the 5 bolt block but I haven't verified it. Any v8 falcon, fairlane, comet, or mustang is a good donor.

8. Nice swap, I did not know the early 5-bolt bellhousing pattern was the same. Pretty slick using that engine. The new higher geared third member sounds like a perfect match for the new engine as well. Seems that your swap would be more popular? I guess people think you have to run an automatic trans or later model trans and give up the column shift?

9. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

No, they just think everything needs a chevy swap..