Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Li'l Coffin II up for Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffB2, Jan 4, 2014.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

2. A pretty wild car, I prefer the nose he chose to build it with as opposed to the one in its famous Monogram model days. Does the original still exist??

3. Toner283

Toner283

The original was restored back to what it looked like in 1964 several years ago. Saved it from that fugly streetroddy fate that it had fallen into. Check out the link for a bunch of pictures of it over the history of it. Check out the street rod version in the 90's and the ugly nose on it. Glad it got saved from street rod hell.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Dave_Stuckey's_Lil'_Coffin

4. I always loved the original and also built the Monogram kit back in my miss-spent youth. I still have the built model somewhere around here in a box. Sounds like a good time to dig it out and enjoy looking at it as there's no way I could afford to bid on the "real" thing.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So... what was the version I just saw at Starbird's museum? Was I duped? Gary

6. skinnydude

skinnydude

Can't wait to see what kind of money this will go for !!!!

7. Toner283

Toner283

Daryl Starbird bought the Lil Coffin in 1967 and proceeded to F it all up. First he turned it into some weird looking sedan delivery thing with a raised roof called the monkey ward delivery. Then he cut the roof off entirely and made it into a phaeton. That version caught fire and pretty much burned to the ground, then he stuck the remains into storage for several years. He should have left it in storage because when he pulled it out, he turned it into that god awful street rod with the ugly nose. It stayed that way for a few years and then got restored properly back to the way it was in 1964. Check out the link I posted a couple of post above to see the horrible picture proof of the cars history. As far as I know Daryl still owns it and if you saw it at at his Museum that was probably the original you saw. Lil Coffin 2 is easy to spot because of the different nose. To me the Lil Coffin 2 is more of a tribute than a clone. Beautiful car, I would love to own it but my bank account does not have nearly enough zeros.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd swear that I took photos of that car at the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa in 1973 or a clone of it.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I bought a ticket today. If I win, it's yours.

10. i built the model as a kid but I really liked the car in this configuration before the radical show car look. HRP

[​IMG]

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I never seen this version before and I like it better.

12. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Starbird`s Lìl Coffin has original Stuckey-made fenders, but otherwise it`s all newly made. Unfortunately old " Monogram " Lìl Coffin is long gone, but he did good justice to that famous 60`s version. Lil Coffin 2 is really cool piece also by itself...will be too expensive for me anyway..

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

According to the link, http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Dave_Stuckey's_Lil'_Coffin, Starbird still has the original.:confused:

14. johnod

johnod

I built the model when I was a kid, thought it was the coolest ever.
    Still think it's pretty cool.
    The new version is also very nice, maybe even better looking, but I still have a fond remembrance of the model I built all those years ago.:)

15. I owned two of the kits as a teenager, and brought another several years back. Great kit for kit bashing. I like that version, and was shocked when i saw the street rod version. Unfortanatly, i cant see the II version. This is one of the early show rods, that twisted and warped my thinking beyond repair :D

16. aircap

aircap

The Lil Coffin is the COOLEST kustom hot rod EVER. Period. Millions of Hot Wheel versions can't be wrong. There are none finer. If you save only one, and crush the rest - you'd save Lil Coffin.

17. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

BJ # 1088. Sold for $73,000.00...I thought it would go much higher. Someone really got a bargain