Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wisconsin "street modified" plates\title from an out of state, state issued VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nickerz, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Nickerz

Nickerz
    from WISCONSIN

Got my eye on a MUT.

It's a Syclone that's had its cab replaced, which resulted in a state issued VIN. It also has a ton of work done to it and no catalytic converters.

The vehicle is 20 years old and from what I'm reading this would allow it to be titled in Wisconsin as a "street modified" vehicle. I don't see much in the way of requirements to title it, mostly that its 20 years old and can't be titled as a collector car (it can't).

Any guidance would be appreciated. Also what a state issued vin does to VALUE of the vehicle. I've heard 50%.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A state issued title is valid, the only valid source of a number aside from the one stamped by the factory...unlike bought titles, restamps, etc. which are invalid and probably criminal.
    I would say no practical effect on licensing.
    A non-original number probably has some effect on value in restoration circles, but since this thing doesn't even HAVE its factory number or original body even, what further effect could the paperwork possibly have?? It is now essentially an assembled car, nothing wrong with that and of course totally outside of any resto considerations since it can't be or become original.

3. "street modified" is a title brand shown on the face of a Wisconsin title for a qualifying vehicle that has applied for and received a Wisconsin "HOBBYIST" license plate.
    It is not necessary to have the title branded "street modified" for annual Wisconsin license plates.
    There is no benefit or exemption from Wisconsin vehicle equipment standards by having the title branded "street modified" or having a "HOBBYIST" license plate.
    If you have a valid state issued VIN and title, you should be able to transfer the out of state title to Wisconsin and receive a Wisconsin title and license plates.
    I don't know what a MUT is but your info leads me to believe the vehicle is made up of a bunch of various parts.
    Depending upon what vehicle year and description is shown on the out of state title will determine if the vehicle will require a vehicle inspection by the Wisconsin State Patrol. .
    You state that "the vehicle is 20 years old" making it a 1994.
    If, the out of state title reads "1994 homebuilt, assembled, homemade etc or whatever and does not state a specific make (Chevrolet, Ford etc), a vehicle inspection may be necessary to determine that the vehicle meets all FMVSS requirements for 1994 or what ever year is stated on the out of state title.
    Applying for a "HOBBYIST" plate will bring your Wisconsin title and license app to the attention of DMV Research and Information and maybe one step closer to WSP inspection
    Contacting your local DMV service center may result in more confusion than I have caused you with the above info.
    Contacting DMV Research and Information, directly, in Madison, Wis. could be the way to get direct and definite info.
    I am not qualified to offer a definitive opinion on the value affect of a state issued title. I'm sure there are enough varying opinions on the HAMB, yet to be heard.
    Curt R

4. Nickerz

Nickerz
    from WISCONSIN

Thanks, this is very helpful. I was unsure whether or not a state issued VIN was legitimate. It seems like this car should title just like anything else, however I am concerned a state issued VIN could trigger additional scrutiny.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe the state issue implies that it has already been scrutinized...a car with such a VIN has lost its original paper trail and in many cases like yours the actual number, and so whatever state did the work had to satisfy itself that ownership was legit.

6. Nickerz

Nickerz
    from WISCONSIN

I called Wisconsin today and this was confirmed. They said that a state issued VIN would require no additional titling procedures.

Now I just need to dig deep to see what I really feel like paying for a rare vehicle that has lost it's original VIN, but that I can prove is still the factory original (with a replaced cab).

7. titled ownership does not establish that the vehicle will meet Wisconsin or any other states registration or vehicle equipment requirements. Understanding that the vehicle registration and equipment statutes vary from state to state, there is no guarantee or law that a title issued by one State will be recognized by another State.
    The requirements to establish vehicle ownership and the requirements to establish that the vehicle meets vehicle equipment standards and is legal for highway use are two distinct and separate issues. Owning a vehicle does not mean the vehicle is legal for highway use.
    Depending on the State, a title stating "modified", "homebuilt", "special construction" etc. may result in a close look by the DMV. Some States have been known to issue a title but not license the vehicle for highway use.
    Curt R

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Neat car trumps neat paperwork, as long as your paper is real and legal! Go for it!

9. Nickerz

Nickerz
    from WISCONSIN

This vehicle will not need to be branded. It has a state issued VIN. My concern was that this meant that Wisconsin would need to brand the title. They do not.

As noted above, the car has already been determined as legal for road use by another state negating the requirement for a state inspection. I have confirmed this with my state DMV.

Wisconsin has a pretty lenient stance on vehicle ownership compared to other states.