Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Deuce Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy Tee, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow , so shaw city engines just bolted together parts on to a scrap block. Spread the word.

So we are planning to change our 32 3w to an eddie Meyer and powergen as well. When you say you had to "relieve " the manifold for clearance was that at the vertical mounting face at the front?

2. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Yes, the vertical Mounting face needed to be relieved (about 2mm each side) as the Powergen Alternator bracket is narrower than the original and your unable to use the original bracket to mount the Alternator as its circumfrance is bigger.

3. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Some more progress.

I had my Battery cable Cotton Braided and have now roughed that in from the Starter Motor to the battery location in the Trunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lowsquire, at Rancho Deluxe, made my Rear Hood Latch idea into a reality. He modified the bracket and inner shaft in the Latch, the way shown in the pics below. I'll be running without a Hood probably 98% of the time, so I wanted to avoid having that step-out piece, from the frame, required to hold the Rear Hood Latch. I also wanted the Latches removable, when not in use, so they dont spoil the look of the Engine bay. They turned out fantastic and work real well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things are getting a bit tight in the foot well, now that the pedals are in place with the Steering column. The Cluch pedal is rubbing up against the column, so some heating and bending of that will be required. Not much room left for an Accelerator pedal though.

[​IMG]

4. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I've started on the polishing of my Brass Door Hinges.

Lots of Filing, Sanding, Cut & Polishing, but they are turning out nice. The final Sand, with 1500 grit & Polish will come when the final assembly happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 562roadster

562roadster

Nice build! Love the details

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its all looking great Oz, keep at it mate, your on a roll :D

7. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Progress continues slowly.

The complete mock-up (with the exception of interior) was completed. All necessary holes were drilled and clearances made. It was time now for the Body to come off. All hanging panels and interior bits were removed to lighten it for the lift. Five strong men and 15 seconds later, it was seperated from the Chassis.

The body was placed on a simple Dolly, to enable it to be wheeled around easily.

[​IMG]

The Chassis was then transported back to Rancho Deluxe to have Exhaust and Cycle Guards made.

[​IMG]

Now that the Chassis is out of my way, I have begun work on filling the Body imperfections and sanding it, in preparation for paint. I'm still undecided on a colour, but I am leaning towards painting the Chassis Black and a seperate colour for the Body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. XERB

XERB

Very cool, your doin' one great job...just a real shame the law makes you run those horrible cycle fenders just to get compliance...is the fine huge for not running them?

9. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Not sure of the fine, but it wouldn't be cheap. But the worst part is they issue you with a Defect notice, which means your off the road till you get the things fixed and re-present the car to the Road Traffic Authority..... Pain in the Ass.

10. loudbang

loudbang

You might want to hold off on the bodywork until you get the body mounted on the frame. Because you MAY put stress on some of those seams while lifting and moving it. And when you tighten everything down again it MAY pull on the body distorting the work you did already.

11. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Scroll up, or go back a few pages. The body has been bolted onto the frame for the past 2 years. Thanks for the advice anyway.

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Oz is great that it is still progressing, look forward to seeing more

13. I think he's referring to the fact that your post 9 hours ago states that the body got pulled off the chassis and is now on a dolly...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

15. loudbang

loudbang

This sure looks like it's off the frame with bodywork going on to my eyes LOL.

[​IMG]

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

That looks like little paws sticking out from under the body.
    Your no. 1 helper I presume?

Ago

17. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

More sanding & fixing of minor imperfections is what I'm up to. Hopefully I can get it in Primer/Filler within the month.

I have however gotten close with a color choice. This color below has been stuck in my mind over the past few months, so I sprayed up a test panel to see it in real life. Please give me your opinion.

Here it is in the shade....

[​IMG]

and here it is in Full Sun..... what do you think?

[​IMG]

The Body sanding has been completed and I started on the hanging panels. The Door Jambs are taking up a fair bit of time, but I'm getting there.

[​IMG]

The Trunk fitment was not to my liking. I played around with the hinges and fitting of rubber seals, but I couldnt get it to where I wanted it. So I had no choice but to seperate the two skins and re-pack it so that it sits properly in line with the Quarter Panels and the rear panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I also had a fiberglass 32 coupe I had to massage into better shape. It is all worth it in the end. My opinion is, I don't like the grey. But color is a matter of personal choice.

Ago

19. You asked, so this is my gut feeling about colour.

I've seen deuces in grey. Some look OK with all the jazz of a finished car, but I still think it looks a little like something from the navy yards. I've also seen way too many plastic bodies in grey gelcoat, so I have a hang up from that too.

Not saying its bad, but a little colour in it in the green or brown direction might help. There are plenty of early factory colours like that (usually called this-or-that gray)

Carry on...

20. I agree with the above. Perhaps if it looked like the first pic in the sun it'd be alright.. I could imagine it a real nice dark blue. I think Ford had a colour called Washington Blue that was quite dark.. There's a '36 Coupe on here with gold wheels that is the colour i'm thinking of.. That colour looks great. The grey though.. not so much.

21. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Thanks Guy's for your honest opinions.

Color is one thing that has really done my head in.
    For four years Ive switched from the obvious Black, then Red's, Brown's and Green's.... I'm not really a Blue type of guy.
    Three other colours that I'm teetering on are Nile Green, Seam Mist Green and French Grey...... but everytime I turn a page in a magazine or go to a show, someone has a ride painted in one of those colors. I'm resigned to the fact that Everything has been done before..... so I just gotta pick a color I can live with.
    One thing I am decided on is that the Frame will be painted a Gloss Black, which will differentiate between the body color.
    The Engine will be Black and then I need to decide if I paint the Firewall in Black or Body color.....

22. A lot of colours get used because they work. There is nothing wrong with that.

Different for the sake of being different is where many people fall over. That, or they are clueless.

23. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

I like the gray (eau de nil) water of the Nile , the wife told me.
    If you upholster the inside, the quick reply colour bar. Colour.It would really ,look cool.
    But all said and done, it's your car!

24. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I hear ya mate. Well summarised.... I have a Garage wall dedicated to pics of Deuce 3w Coupes, in all colours of the Rainbow. I need to go back and stare at it again.... decision needs to be made soon

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've always liked Washington blue, classic colour

26. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Love the Color go for it!!

27. X2.

Paint it the colour YOU like - regardless of what everyone else is doing or not or how popular it is (or not)

When I painted my 3W...some people thought I was nuts. Color IS sooooo subjective you can never be wrong - its all in the eye of the beholder 9kinda like dames aint it?)

So just paint it the colour that you really DIG.

Forget armchair critics who'll never own anything more than a pair of souped up roller skates.

Here's a tip too; try losing the pics all over the your wall with the diff coloured 3windows - thats why its doing your head in lol

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Colour is just about the first thing I decide when starting a project.

29. Best advice ever.

Paint it the Colour you Like.

If I had followed this advice I wouldn't have ended up hating my RPU so much.
    I got talked into painting it the colour that it is by people that had no attachment to the car.
    Yes it looks pretty but it was not what I wanted.

In the end it's YOUR CAR paint it the colour YOU want.

30. Totally agree.