Register now to get rid of these ads!

worst thing to happen while working on your project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Oct 3, 2010.

1. cryobug

cryobug

My job went away with three kids in college that I was paying for.

2. gold03

gold03

I exploded both of my thumbs half an hour apart. I was using a big pry bar to try an get the box on my 52 M-37 settled into the mounts. The bar slipped and splattered my left thumb. The tip sorta squirted the meat out. After doing some creative public speaking, I taped it tightly with electrical tape. Then tried again. Yupp, when you do the same thing twice the same thing happens twice! Now my right thumb looked just like the left. I lost both thumb nails. Both thumbs had to be drained with the hot paper clip trick. I had to wear sweat pants for a week, like some pervert, because I couldn't pull up my zipper.

Do you know that not having thumbs is a serious handicap?

Truck64 likes this.
  3. Setting goals to do and running out of motivation. :/

4. '48IHC

'48IHC

I was In the shop cutting out the kick panel vent box on a customer's 68 firebird that had been hit in the front. Drilling out all the spot welds and hammering the chisel to get the pieces separated.. Any way, it was almost coming apart (to the point were you can push the metal back as forth and twist till it tears). As I was prying the pieces apart I bent the still attached pieces to get them out of the way. Had to grind more so I put my shield back on. I yanked hard on the jagged, bent metal and the damn thing smacked my face shield and stuck into the plastic about 1/4" behind it. Definitely so glad I went and put that shield on!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. G'day, I was 18 at the time and crawled under a 56 Chevy on just a jack. No stands. Just stupid I guess. Yup, it rolled back off the jack and broken my nose flat and did wonders to my ribs. I knew I was done for. Suddenly the car lifted up enough for me to get out. I never knew my 14 year old little brother was that strong till then. Of course he totalled the car out a year later but such is life. I was alive to yell at him.

ms

6. Tore my rotator cuff getting my hands away from a part spinning in the drill press. (part never touched my hands) I had surgery 4 months ago and it is still giving me a lot of pain.

7. I just thought of another bad result of working on a car. Although not attributable to my stupidity as usual. I was simply trying to remove a lug nut from a wheel. Sucker was super tight. So as I was putting all my effort into loosening it I heard a pop and my right arm became rather weak and limp. I had pulled the bicep muscle loose at the bone and ended up having to have it surgically reattached. Getting old really sucks sometime...
    I prefer to read about the dumb things we do though, so keep posting.

8. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Another fire episode,a while back adraitac machine and myself went to a garage sale,this was the motha loade.
    The old timer worked a a defense plant and took a lot of it home,we bought a lot of machines and materials there.
    In it was a plate of magnesium tool plate 3/4 thick. Me having a magnesium fetish I cut a bunch of plugs to fill the extra holes in my sprints,doing this I had a lot of chips too.
    So I puts the plugs to the side and gathered the tailings in a paper cup.
    I put the chips on top of my lathe and thought I would do something cool with it one day.
    Well that day came and I didn't see it coming.
    I was installing a large gasket and needed a couple of 1/4-20 studs to hold it in place.
    I cut the heads off and zipped a slot in about three of them.
    Proceeded to install the gasket. I heard a few pops and crackling ,looked back and the cup caught a spark lighting that off,then falling behind the lathe catching the service chord up too.
    By the time I saw it ,it was blazing.
    The lathe weighed 3500 lbs so moving it was out of the question,I tore everything I could out from under it ,swept up the magnesium into a metal dust pan while it was blazing and ran into the parking lot to toss it and let it burn out.
    A minute later my buddy pulled up,me sweating and covered in soot,shit tossed all about and stinking of burned electrical wire and says,what the hell are you doing NOW.

9. ZachB

ZachB

Knock on wood I have not run into anything bad yet. My grandfather has a 54 chevy on jack stands working on the drive line. A got out from under it and it just fell right where he had been. He went out and got new stands after that.

10. Run out of cash! :D HRP

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

Mann,this thread keeps me in stitches.i nvr thought it would go this long.well I have something new to add.Yesterday while cutting with my 4" cutter,I was pushing it(rushing)to get a piece removed from my 53 chev.when it suddenly jamb,spun out of my hand,came back at me like a boomerang and slashed my thumb!I knew better...damn.keep posting ur stories..

12. I had a engine (wasn't secured well) tip over and fall on my foot/leg. I was stuck under it for a good while cause I couldn't lift it from my position. That was kinda scary, and so far (knock on wood) that's the worst of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Just an update, I actually got a replacement body for this car! Its just as rusty as the old one though.... thats life.

14. banditomerc

banditomerc

Just when i put my guard down....This injury just happened. ..I was grinding on the top,above "b" pillar with my old reliable 15 lb."Sioux" grinder that I have had forever,...it snagged on drip rail,I lost grip on it ,it flew into the air and came down on my foot!!!...my reaction time at 56 years of age may have added to this...everything seemed to happen in ever so slow motion...LOL...these next 30 years gonna be real interesting!!!...Happy Holidays.

Attached Files: