Register now to get rid of these ads!

which one for 49 packard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubblesbacon, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

One of the ideas I have for modifying my 1949 packard is to go with four headlights instead of the stock two, I know that some will ask why, so I say why not? I have attached two pics of a 49 packard (not mine) with second pic having photoshopped (rough) in the additional headlights. Opinions anyone? which looks better? :rolleyes: I know the purists wouldn't like.

Attached Files:

2. No likee.
    I hope the Packard in your avatar is the one you're going to cut up, rather than that nice, black one

3. kursplat

kursplat

just too much with 4 lights...

maybe with a different grill?

4. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

it is the avatar one, and I was just thinking about doing this, looking for opinions. i did see one that replaced the round headlights with square dual lights on both sides, from a chevy truck I think, did not like that as round is old square is new and i like them old... :D

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

I like the 1 headlight on each side and I've got a '48 Packard hearse that is getting the mild custom treatment so I'm not a purist.

6. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

The grille will stay, it is a packard after all, but thanks for the reply, so far the extra headlights is not getting much love but?? might do it just to be different... ;)

7. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Not my cup of tea, but it's cool you think out side the box....it makes the car look European.

8. R Pope

R Pope

Your photoshop pic looks funny because you have four big headlights, quads are smaller.

9. ....Excellent point.

10. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i dont like it but if u were to use the smaller light like all the quad light cars did it might look better . these lights are to big .

11. The Packard grill is iconic to the car, but it could be enhanced, greatly by reducing the clutter of all the horizontal bars covering up the classic central part of the grill. The quad lights would look much better if frenched and standard dual headlight size were used. This could be a very kool kustom, mostly by just cleaning up the design, reducing excess chrome. Maybe stacked, split bumper bars would look good, leaving/making the center grill element taller, in it's most classic Packard form.

12. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

4 lites makes it to busy

13. lahti35

lahti35

Maybe a 5th in the center that turns with the wheels "ala" Tucker?

Seriously, 4 is too much for the old girl. I think Packard had it figured pretty good from a head on view.

14. I agree with RussB, maybe take the lights and eyebrows from a '58-'59 something and see how those work. Another option to try are the headlights from a '57 Fury (one big, one small). Fix the grill and maybe get rid of the horizontal bits on the sides.

The cool thing is that you can do whatever you want in PS (or whatever program you use)!

---
    Sent from the pits of dispair app. Wirelessly, of course.

15. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not feeling it either. It's too cluttered. Try a photoshop with the bumper guards and fog lights shaved, single headlights. Or put the light bulbs behind the lower grille bar, so there's no lights on the fenders. Should look something like a '42 DeSoto.

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

17. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I always disliked those later Packard grilles anyway. Reminded me of a fussy little mustache.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389236628.656541.jpg

18. Quads from a '58 Packard:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  19. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Not too crazy about the four headlight look.

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bubblesbacon, those extra eyes don't look that much out of place, since there seems to be room for them in the same plane. People unfamiliar with Packards probably will not notice the change, subtle as it is.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bubblesbacon, I just saw the brown car with the quads with brow, and that could be factory. The last one resembles a Mercedes from the early 50's ?

22. banginona40

banginona40

I think Packard got it right the first time!

23. historynw

historynw

The last two have a Chrysler like look.

24. Peek-A-Boo for Squablow...
    [​IMG]

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may have something there. I never liked the headlight treatment on that car. Not sure quads are the way to go. How about some larger or more prominent single headlights?

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

Maybe if the quad lights were smaller like someone else mentioned without a big brow on top hanging forward, I wouldn't mind it or possibly what toole said above maybe a bigger single headlight on each side? But for the lights already there and just double them, I would pass.

27. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

damn, that looks good, almost stock appearing and I think I know where to get some of the 58 lights/fenders :D

28. Squablow

Squablow

The headlights in the grille look very European to me, like they should be on a cut-down open top sports car. Very neat to see this stuff in Photoshop, nice work by Nitrobrother.

The quads make me think of a Checker cab. But if you were going all-out in a late 50's style, the car might be able to pull off that look.