Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rustoleum Hammer Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel58a, Aug 17, 2013.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

brush or spray can??

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used it on a cafe racer frame. I like the look of it on the correct item.

3. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

My experience is the brush on is MUCH better than the spray on stuff; thicker and tougher. But the spray on stuff isn't bad at all. I'd not hesitate to use it on smaller stuff.

I knocked out the back wall in my garage and replaced it with a structural steel frame. Painted it only one coat with hammered silver and it came out great in my opinion:

[​IMG]

Close up of the texture:
    [​IMG]

I also painted the solid core oak door I use as a bench top with hammered black. Two coats whatever many days apart the label says; I THINK 7 days(!!) and that REALLY came out tough. No photo, sorry but it's tough as nails.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  4. Scott F.

Scott F.

I used some of the bronze color spray cans to paint all the outdoor light fixtures in our last house. They were the cheap gold colored thin metal and they turned out nice.

5. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

After brushing, the paint flows nice and does not look brushed. I like that.
    I also prefer the brush on, but all colors are not available in brush.

6. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

I used it to restore my 60's tanker desk. Dark grey on the body and silver on the top. The top is laminate so I sanded it, put on a coat of Kills and then sprayed on the hammer tone. With polished aluminum trim and draw pulls came out pretty sharp.

Attached Files:

7. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

I agree, used it on many car related projects and is durable and tough.

8. Diavolo

Diavolo

Rattle can. The finish is as close to spraying it thinned out of a gun, IMHO. Very similar results as the gantry just below your post, #63.

9. upspirate

upspirate

There was another brand called Hammerite that I used to use.....it seemed to disappear when Rustoleum hammertone came on the market.

I wonder if Rustoleum bought them out??

10. I used it on the bed frame of my F-1. Turned out better than I thought. It helps hide a lot of sins.

11. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

The Rustoleum Hammered finish paint is about 1/2 the cost of Hammerite. I pay the extra bucks and get the Hammerite because I get much better results with it. The Rustoleum so called hammer finish just comes out flat half the time, no texture. The Hammerite is getting harder to find, Home Depot used to carry it but no more. A local hardware store where I have been buying it is selling its current stock then its gone.
    Mike

12. papajohn

papajohn

I used my confuser and went on the internets using the googler and it looks like Wal-Mart has a large selection of Hammerite colors. At least online.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I've NEVER had the Rustoleum come out flat. If anything it sometimes comes out a bit TOO textured at times.

14. Branded

Branded

How's it work on plastic fuel tanks?

15. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I have used the spray can version to good effect. I like it anyway... Did my dash and all exposed metal on the door interiors, top of the fuel tank and all the area in and around the back of my dash, then rewired it. Looks good and hides a good number of ugly spots etc. also did the body area inside the wheel wells.

Mike

16. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

Awesome stuff, I've painted alot of parts with it. It's great for those parts that have rust pitting, comes in several colors, and is tough as nails. It doesn't require crazy prepping either!

17. yruhot

yruhot

I like the spray. Used the silver on all the hindges and door hardware on my vintage travel trailer that I restored.Looked great and has held up well. YRUHOT........Doug

18. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have used it on a lot of things.... cool and durable !!

Did several suspension parts for a 40 Chevy and the block and brackets on the 440.... owner wanted a "subtle" color on the motor.

Attached Files:

19. austinhunt

austinhunt

As said before, the black IS NOT BLACK. I wanted to see for myself so I brushed two coats on the bottom of my frame and even in the shade will not be mistaken for black. It has a metalic that rises to the top. So if you want true black... Buy a different paint. The finish looks like all the pictures. The first coat left fish eyes, but the second coat covered completely. I'm annoyed with the color but satisfied with the result and the fast dry time even at 60 degrees.

20. Nice ! Love the 8 track.....

Howard

21. Nice !
    Love the 8 track
    Howard

22. papajohn

papajohn

I used the gold on the insert of my 60olds dash and on the metal portions of the armrests and even on the valve covers. It had black vinyl seats and black and gold door panels and all the black painted parts were satin finish. Its a great accent paint.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Great stuff!
    I used the spray Rustoleum silver on my old rockrawler - tie rod, pitman, shock brackets, misc brackets and diff covers. As others stated, it is very durable. Used my Jeep frequently for both street and hardcore trails and it all still looked good when I sold it four years later. Even held up very well to the rocks, and was easy to blend when it did need touchup.
    It is great for exposed parts you don't want to have to repaint often and sprays well. I have already painted some of my current projects suspension with it.

24. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I used it on the garnish molding and trim in my 53 Vicky