Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster chassis ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AndrewB, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB

Looking at this hot rod on ebay and he has it listed as a possible "Bob Long", wonder if he means Don Long. Anyone here have any idea on it's possible creator?

I'm trying to find out if it's mild steel or moly to see if it could be re-certified to 7.50 with the addition of a 5 point cage, although the lower frame rail looks a bit small.

Andrew

57.JPG
    58.JPG
    59.JPG
    60.JPG
    61.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-Front-Engine-Dragster-153-wheelbase-Cackle-digger-FED-and-gasser-/321291115985?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ace715dd1&item=321291115985&pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

NOT EVEN CLOSE to a DLong chassie.

By the looks of the frame, bottom rail is too small dia to pass any spec.
    Way too much chassie work, 20 more feet of tubing and you would have a new chassie

3. AndrewB

AndrewB

Just being optimistic. Just can't seem to find a chassis for myself and don't have the $$ to do it all at once. The reason I like this one is it's very close to my wife's 67' Cassidy chassis.

IMG_0845.jpg

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Would it have to be C/M to cert 7.50 if the tube was of the correct wall thickness and dia.

5. oldolds

oldolds

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You can use Mild steel up to 7.50 spec.. But most mild steel measures below advertised wall thickness so you have to step up to the next size wall or go with DOM which around here is about the same price as Moly. The only real advantage with Mild steel is you are allowed to mig-weld it together , with Moly they want you to Tig it together.
    Best thing to do If you cant be talked out of buying this by someone that does this for a living is to have NHRA come out and inspect the chassie, for all anybody knows, the whole frame could be made with .049 wall tubing and that leaves you with haveing to completly re-frame it anyway, What left is the OLDS rear end and if it has stock axles (re-splined)and will have to change those out to aftermarket, and might also consider disc brakes instead of those drum units.Front axle and torsion seem OK though. Its been well over 25 years since that chassie has been on the track and everything has changed

7. Tubing looks a bit small for anything heavier than a small block with alloy heads.
    Lots of flex there. I'd like bigger main rails to go fast.

8. AndrewB

AndrewB

I'm just wanting to run a supercharged flathead, although it's a bit heavy after being filled with aluminum. I talked to the seller and he mentioned that the upper shoulder hoop only measures 16". I'm 6'5" and there's no way I'd fit.

Andrew

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And haveing it a round back shoulder hoop makes fitting even worse