Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford "Canned Monster" Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Lancer

Lancer

I picked up this car about a year ago a few blocks from my house. I had seen it on Craigs list. It was pretty straight, no engine, trans, windshield or bumpers, oh and no papers. I made him an offer but he wasn't as negotiable as I needed him to be. After texting back and forth over a couple of months he gave me one of those bring me the money today kind of offers, I couldn't pass it up.

There were already projects at home so I really didn't want to look at it so it was hauled out to the parents house. Out of mind, out of site. It worked okay til mid summer. My son was turning 16 and I thought this would be a great father son build. That lasted a very short time, he's just not into 50's cars. We are looking for a 60's off topic chevy for him.

I had no interest in selling it and thought about different ways it could be done. During this time I had blown the engine in my '57 Ford wagon. The original 292 gave up the ghost. This lead me down a very interesting road which allowed me to cross paths with Charlie Burns and Tim McMaster (mctim64). Charlie had an engine that Tim had built and he was looking for some cash to throw at his land speed car. This was perfect for me as you know, Y-Blocks are a little harder to come by than say, well just about everything. The wagon is now back on the road THANK GOD after three months off the road and is much peppier than the stocker it had in it.

Back to the '56, it was originally a Y-Block V8/auto car. So, maybe put a Y back in it?? I had a few other engine choices but the Y just seemed right. There are still many things to sort out but the main goal is in place. Build a gasser the way it would have been built back in the day. Not a huge thumper motor but a small, high winding Y.

The car will get an upgrade to a four speed, an early top loader. I'm still looking for one of those. Nothing has been touched on it since I drug it home, but that will be changing very soon. The rear diff I've had for years. Its an early Mopar 8.75 that had been set up as a three link, has Moser axles a spool and 4.11s which may be swapped out for set of 4.56s. That old three link stuff will be cut away as we lay plans for the ladder bars.

Covering the Eagle Field Drag racing events over the years sparked the initial idea to build an 8th mile drag car. Shooting for the first event for 2015.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Gonna be a cool car. Cant wait to see you rip into it.

3. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

Tim knows his stuff. I'm sure he did but, ask about oiling modifications to the rocker arm shafts and timing areas. These are important, and one of the main reasons why Ford quickly came out with FE engines in '58.
    I'm running a 292 in my '59 Galaxie because it is the original, but totally overhauled with a roller chain, hardened exhaust seats, viton valve stem seals, and other goodies.

These engines, for some reason, don't like keeping rear seals.

Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Gonna have to watch this!

5. I think the mid '50's Fords make great looking Gassers. HRP

Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Go man go!!

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looking forward to the build.

8. Subscribed... go Lance, go!

9. Lancer

Lancer

Couple of pics from the machine shop. The engine is just going in for its steam bath. The rods are just out of the bath. Rods are C1TE HD truck rods that will hold up well for this buzz motor. The engine is a .125 over 272ci ECG casting.

Thanks everyone for the support thus far. Its gonna be a fun build.

Attached Files:

• Motor.jpg
      Motor.jpg
      File size:
      153.3 KB
      Views:
    • Rods.JPG
      Rods.JPG
      File size:
      449.2 KB
      Views:
  10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

You done yet!!!!
    Cut this sucker up....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. gonmad

gonmad

SwEEt!! Big gnarly custom ground roller cam that barely idles under 1500 rpm!!
    Do it...! LoL!

12. Lancer

Lancer

Jimmy, its going to have a nasty solid lifter cam. I'll get the specs posted up.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Fun stuff indeed! Better get every ounce of weight out of the car that you can so that little motor can move it. ;):D

14. Needs a 9" too! Anyone out there with one to donate or cheap?

15. Lancer

Lancer

Tim, I'll have a nice Mopar 8.75 to sell or trade out for a 9" and also the 8" thats in it will also be available as well. I'm looking here locally to see what I can dig up. The big Turlock swap is in a few weeks as well. Also have that 460 and C6 that needs to a new home. If I find a housing then we'll just need to dig up axles and a spool.

16. Lancer

Lancer

Just found out our donor motor has the high ration rocker arms that we need. NICE! One less part to find.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  17. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Lance,

let me know if I need to be on the hunt for any parts. Keep updated......

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  18. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks Jay, I will. I am working a deal on some heads now and hope it all fall in line. Just waiting to see if they are posted heads or not. Hoping to confirm this weekend. I did get some parts ordered, stud kit for the main and heads, timing set and push rods. Should also get info on a four speed thats local that may work as well. He's supposed to be getting that checked. Still looking for a bell housing and a "B" intake. But I may contact one of my fellow fabricators and have them built me an intake. We'll see how that works out.

This weekend we will be pulling some of the front end apart and getting measurements for the straight axle so I'll have a few pics to post up. If anyone is looking for 56 Ford parts, drop me a line, there will be a lot of stuff coming off the car that won't be used.

19. Ok I'm subbed. Love me a 56 ford

20. Lancer

Lancer

Engine work is being done. Check out the block being decked & honed. So stoked about this.

Attached Files:

21. luke13

luke13

brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

22. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Cool project! I'll be following this one. Just put together about the same thing for my 57 last year. 272 bored to 292. Jahns pistons, ported G heads, Mummert cam w/hr rockers. Running a B manifold now but may put my 3x2 back on this spring.

23. Lancer

Lancer

57Custom300 what compression ratio are you running? Whats it in?

24. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Yblocks aren't compression monsters. With about a 5cc dome on the pistons, 0.020 off the heads & the block resurfaced and composite head gaskets I might be close to 9:1. If I didn't already have the Jahns pistons I would have went to the Mummerts pistons.
    The car in my avatar is where the engine calls home.

25. Not a huge fan of Jahns pistons myself but this set was donated and look to be in good shape, vintage parts have a certain "Cool' aspect also. zero decked block, steel shim gasket, 10cc dome and .050" off the heads will give us about 12:1 +/-. should run pretty good. Cam will have real close to .600" lift with the high ratio rockers and 260* duration @ .050

26. Here's what an iron headed 13:1 Y-Block sounds like.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VySYTsOiEv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

27. Lancer

Lancer

Progress on the internals. Pistons are cleaned and balanced. The vintage pistons are .125 Jahns. and came from Pete Blakeley. Vintage parts in our vintage gasser. Should be darn near 12:1 compression when done. Nice and crispy.

Block pic shows the relief on every cylinder to clear the 2.02" and 1.6" valves when running a .600 lift cam and rocker combo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am intrigued with this build.

29. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Lancer, the domes on your pistons look about twice the height as the ones I'm running in mine. While mine starts & runs fine, I'd like a better "cruise nite" sound to it. I've got a bigger cam laying around (.500 lift) & wanted to go w/steel head gaskets originally but didn't. You build has inspired me to crawl back under the hood.

Lancer and chryslerfan55 like this.