Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front rake after lowering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordoors, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Fordoors

Fordoors

I lowered my 50 shoebox about 2" by using the Aerostar coil trick in the front and put blocks in the back. I should have gotten (if I read the info on the board correctly) 2 inches all around. What I got was a small rake toward the front end. I assumed this was due to the coils being new but after a few months, it's the same. Any ideas? I'd like to get her to sit right on all 4 corners.
    thanks
    Michael

2. Hot Rod Trash

Hot Rod Trash

I used the same in my 55 Ford. But used 3 inch blocks in the rear. I got at least a 3 inch drop in the front with the aerostar coils. They need to drop a little bit over time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

new or used springs? was they seated right when you put them in?

4. daddio211

daddio211

I've never seen coils "settle", just my experience. Granted, after you set the car on the ground the suspension is still somewhat loaded, but by the time you make it to the end of the driveway they're pretty much where they're going to stay. Again, just my experience.

You didn't mention what size rear blocks you used. I'd suspect they were 2", so go buy some 3" blocks and get the rear down a little more. Easy problem to solve.

Better yet, take VERY careful and accurate measurements and have a few friends sit in the trunk until you the the rear where you want it, then remeasure. Be sure to measure the front as well as it will change with weight in the trunk.

5. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388846122.472679.jpg
    I used the Aerostar coils and 3" blocks in the rear. After I got it all together it still sat too high in the front. Pulled it apart and cut 1/2 a coil off and it dropped it another 1 1/2".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. phat rat

phat rat

Coils will settle maybe you just haven't kept a car long enough or put enough miles on one after putting new springs in

7. Fordoors

Fordoors

New coils and double checked the seating.
    Prob my fault for not rechecking my message...the front appears to be about 1" higher than the rear. I'd rather not cut coils (the reason I went with Aerostar coils).

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You could install 1 inch spacer bars on the lower control arms so as to drop the spring pocket 1 inch.The following kit lowers the spring pocket 2 inches, but you could buy some 1 inch square 6061 alum. or steel bar stock and make your own. It's pretty easy to do and you don't have to cut coils. However, I think, I have seen 1 inch kits also.
    http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  9. daddio211

daddio211

I've done quite a few cars (and trucks) and put lots of miles on them. The tensile strength of spring steel does weaken over time causing a spring to sag, but I've never seen more than MAYBE a 1/8" over a few years time. Just my experience.

Referring to my previous comment to PhatRat, springs will sag over time. Sixty plus years is significant. Your front springs may have sagged more than others who have reported 2 1/2" to as much as 3", thereby making your front end lowering seem less than you anticipated.

If you don't want to cut coils and you don't want the front any lower (dropped uprights) then you'll want to lift the back. Change your 2" (I'm assuming, you still haven't told us) to a 1" block and you'll be sitting level.

I wouldn't recommend this in combination with lowering springs (Aerostar) as the arc of the suspension travel is about at it's maximum usable camber with the springs alone. Using a dropped upright (Fat Man's) or flipping the originals would be a better option, but you've got to like your car REAL low if going that route.

I have all the parts to do mine like this. Dropped uprights, Aerostar coils, blocks, will pull a few leaves, c-notch the rear rails and reshape my driveshaft tunnel. No bags for me, the car will be real low but still very drivable.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

10. jcs64

jcs64

trim the coil
    there is nothing wrong w/ cutting the coil to fit.

jeff

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not entirely sure why you are reluctant to trim a 1/2- a full coil off. Just use a cut off wheel and try 1/2 and if it's not enough take of the last half.