Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shaved my first tire today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoutflyin, Nov 14, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

We wont have them because Oregon made a law against them years ago.. People were using them to cut deeper grooves in various tires, and had failures, so Oregon banned any machine that cut tire treads.
    I used to have all my new tires trued, as it made them ride better and actually added mileage to the tires, but now we're stuck with the crap they sell and hope it's round.

2. RodStRace

RodStRace

:rolleyes:Caddy did this (tire matching) the 80s for the citation they sold (cimmaron).

3. onedge

onedge

Yeah me too...I'm up that way once an a while...

4. The autocross, road racing and sports car guys often shave their DOT-legal street tires (typically ~1/16"-3/16") to get rid of excess tread- so the rubber doesn't deflect as much and are more "slick-like".

You might put the word out to them- especially those that take their street cars to Mid Ohio for track days.

Check this out:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=67&

5. freightdog

freightdog

to the OP, check PMs

6. MMC

MMC
    from Ohio

I live in Columbus, Ohio and have a couple of radial tires to true, could you PM me your number so we could discuss the details?

Thanks
    Mark

7. c57heaven

c57heaven

Cavalier not citation. J Body car.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Back in the bias-ply day, almost all tire shops had tire truing machines. Theres probably a lot of these machines still sitting around gathering dust.

9. DS1937

DS1937

I guess a flat would require retruing the tire unless the wheel rim was dead nuts on center?

10. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

People that sell racing tire usually have the equipment to shave tires. However, they don't want to, and often won't shave tires that have been used. Used tires usually have small rocks imbedded in the treads that dull the cutting blade.

11. I think about 25-30 years ago, some Sears tire stores had a special deal where they would give an extended warrantee if you came back every so many miles and had your tires cut round. I wonder where all those machines are?

12. 6-71

6-71

I started working in a front end shop about 45 years ago.We had a"BEAR" machine that had a giant rotary rasp that ground the tires.We used it quite a bit back then. We later went to "AMERMAC" machines, 2 for off the car and one to do them on the car.The on the car machine would even do flotation tires on big trucks.We also used to balance wheels on the car.As has been discussed before,this balances the wheel assembly,plus the drum or rotor and anything else that spins. I retired,the shop is still there,but this equipment is long gone.

13. Ryan Ruck

Ryan Ruck

I realize this is an old thread but I noticed you're still active on here OP so, wanted to ask if you could please check your Conversation Inbox! Thanks! :)

Stogy likes this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks for posting. I never saw a machine that did that before. The one on Ebay seems awfully expensive.
    Well done.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Gulp!

wraymen and ottoman like this.
  16. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

^^^^^^^ Cuts rubber for sure but doesn't follow the side to side curve of the tread like truing machines do.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But we still have the Broadway bridge. Steel grate, late night, line locs, instant tire truing.

RICH B and wraymen like this.