Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 Buick Torque Converter question?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kensey, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Hi all.

I have a 61 LeSabre with a 364 automatic. I honestly don't know much about these transmissions, do the torque converters on these need balanced?

Mine is making a vibration. No consistent, on and off, but usually at lower RPMs. The past owner said he had the torque converter balanced at a local shop. They didn't have the correct weights so they used tire weights? I did find one on the ground in my driveway, so it must have fallen off. Ugh...

I also have a random chatter noise??

Anyone have any experience with these trannys? Suggestions???

Car shifts fine, does not slip and does not bang into gear. Tranny seems fine.

Any help/suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!

thanks,
    Kensey

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Torque converters are balanced at the factory and require no attention for life. Are you sure it wasn't the driveshaft they balanced? Driveshafts sometimes go out of balance especially if something hits them and they get bent.

It is also possible for the bolts to work loose that hold the torque converter to the flex plate. If this happens you can get vibration and noise. In extreme cases the bolts fall out completely and the car will not move.

You need a good mechanic to have a look at it. It might not have anything to do with the trans or torque converter, noise and vibration problems can be foolers.

3. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I'm researching the hell out of this, not much info on the 61 Dyna. So far I don't see anything in the Shop Manual about balancing the torque converter.

The weird part is that the vibration is intermittent, hi and low RPMs.

Not sure if I wanna dive into this or hand it over to a shop. I don't really have "not do it yourself" money, but I have one never left and this issue it dry humping it!

Thanks again for any help/suggestions.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can check for loose universal joints, loose torque converter bolts, loose bolts between engine and trans etc. by yourself. All you need is a garage where you can jack it up and put it on jack stands safely. Do not take any chances with the jack stands especially if you are going to be prying, banging and shaking things under there.

5. Do you only get the vibration while driving or is it also there when running in neutral? This will help narrow down some of your choices.

Losing a balance weight somewhere should set up a pretty consistant vibration. If it's intermittent check for something like a damaged fan blade or a cracked pulley somewhere on the front of the engine. Try running the engine with one belt at a time removed and see if there's any improvement. I've had cars with strange vibrations caused by a cracked water pump shaft. Don't lean over the fan while revving the engine when you're checking things out under the hood.

6. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Putting the car in neutral does not make it go away. The issue stumping me is it's not consistent. Doesn't happen at any one speed or RPM. Even seems to happen in park. I guess I need to just get it in the air and start poking.

Before I can truly start the process of elimination I need to get the vibration to happen consistently. I think...

Or put it in drive, point it towards the closest lake, and let her rip. Just kiddin'.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

In the twin turbine Dynaflow most of the transmission is in the converter. Because of that there is a lot of weight. The trans only allows for neutral, reverse and park

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it happens when the engine is running and the car not moving it must be something connected to the engine. Like the torque converter or flex plate. You can write off the driveshaft and trans, they are not turning.

On the other end of the engine you have the fan, generator, and vibration damper.

Now that we have narrowed it down one of us is going to have to go out and look at the car. You are closer than we are.

9. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Hee Hee, you are correct Rusty! Unless you'd like to visit the sunny city of Pittsburgh Pa?

Could it also be a harmonic balancer?
    I still have not found any info on balancing the torque converter.

I have lots to go on, thanks again all!

10. unbolt the torque and see if the vibration disappears and go from there.

11. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I didn't realize I could do that with this Dyna setup.

12. for most automatics it can be done you'll have to check.

13. terryble

terryble
    from canada

This was one of those de j'vu moments for me. I don't know if they are the same or not but I had a 60 Buick once that developed an odd vibration at different speeds and even standing still. It had the longest fan extention I have ever seen, had to be 4 inches or more, anyway the vibration was the fan wobbling from the bearings in the water pump going south. Didn't leak didn't do it all the time but that wobble caused the vibration. Replace the water pump and it was back to Buick smooth, those who have owned one of those old nailheads know what I mean about Buick smooth.

14. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I want Buick smooth! I want Buick smooth!!

I can check this by removing the belt correct?

thanks!

15. I don't know how many belts your car has or how they're routed, but try removing only the belt, or belts, that are tied in with the fan. Before you even start the engine grab onto the fan blade and give it good tugging in all directions. There should be practically no side play or end play. Look for any loose, broken or missing bolts. Then start the engine with the belts off and see if the vibration has gone away.

16. TexasJohn55

TexasJohn55
    from Texas

I also have a random chatter noise??

If the converter has an internal clearances or failure it is possible, you will need to identify the source of the chatter. As for vibration, it would likely shake all the time but that might depend on what kind of failure it had. I would leave the possibility open but it would have to be disassembled and checked to determine that.

Torque converters are balanced at the factory and require no attention for life.

Except Dynaflows. Parts book lists various weights for '52 through '63. They are bolted to the backside of converter with cover bolts. The procedure for balancing is in the shop manuals.

The trans only allows for neutral, reverse and park

Drive and Low also.

unbolt the torque and see if the vibration disappears and go from there.

Up until 1955 the ring gear was on the flexplate. '57 - '63 had the ring gear on the torque converter.