Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cold air intake hose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Dec 29, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang,

I know to some this might be construed as something a little outside the scope of the H.A.M.B. and maybe more "muscle car", but assure you it's not.

I am in the process of modifying "endlessearth's" stock air cleaner for his '64 C10 to do a double tube cold air intake, ala the Ford Thunderbolt Fairlanes of the early sixties. I did this same thing with the Plymouth when it still had inner fender panels about ten years ago, and in the summer heat here, it really made a difference in drivability concerns
    The only thing I didn't like on mine was that I never found a good supplier of a hose the appropriate size, and I used corrugated aluminum drier hose... Not what I want here!

My question is this - has anybody found a good source for a soft wire reinforced hose that is either 3" or 4" in approximately four foot lengths? I'm talking the stuff like G.M. used back in the seventies and eighties to do the same, but in longer lengths.

Anybody?

2. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Not sure if they have it, but an excellent place to look for stuff like this is
    McMaster-Carr. Maybe you've already looked there, but if not, give it a try.
    It's like the world's ultimate hardware store, and they ship extremely fast. They're primarily an industrial supply company, but they will sell to individuals also.

Wayne

4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

check out your local a/c , heating supplier , they have all kinds of flexible hoses , ductwork etc....git er done.....happy new year

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm interested in this too. Looking for an OEM apoearing hose, and not bling.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

An engine is essentially an air pump. What goes in comes out. If the thunderbolt needed two 8" air hoses, it would also have needed two 8" exhaust pipes.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I sat down with the McMaster - Carr "phone book' a couple of times and found stuff I would call close, but no cigar. But thanks.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The only way I could see that working better is if it's sealed off from the engine compartment and coming through the hood or fresh air ducting like they did in Nascar stuff back in the seventies. By opening the radiator core support, you are also giving incoming air a way to bypass the radiator, which maybe in your neck of the woods is no big deal, but on a typical 120 degree day with the A/C clucking along to keep you alive it does become a HUGE deal very quickly. I will take a bit of time and check out the French black drain duct that you used though.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Internal combustion engines do not work that way.:eek:

11. My brother-in-law is in the heat & air business and I could swear i saw a piece of black flexible hose in his truck when he was working on my heat pump..I didn't think much of it at the time and don't know what size it was.

You might check with some of the heat & air guys. HRP

12. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That looks like they might be able to help.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Might be better and easier to tap into the fresh air duct ahead of the windshield. Closer to the air filter and it is under pressure when the car is at speed. All you need to do as a rule is cut a hole in the firewall and rig up a short flexible hose.

15. kursplat

kursplat

check the junkyards, lot's of 80's up cars have those hoses in different configs

16. super-six

super-six

17. Oh boy !!!
    There's no place to start on this one.

18. Might want to rethink this :rolleyes:

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

20. loudbang

loudbang

J.C Whitney used to sell it and scoops for under the bumper. Not sure it they still sell it though.

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

OK guys, I'm aware of different densities, etc. and I was exaggerating to make a point.

Do you guys believe that the Thunderbolt needed two 8" diameter hoses to properly feed its intake?

22. Gates used to sell the hose. Came in about a five foot length. Been along time but I think a big truck application. Used on a 54 power steering Chevy.

23. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Try the people that sell table saws, Or your local cab shop's, they use that type of hose in dust collection.

24. Joe H

Joe H

25. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

26. models916

models916

Stock car suppliers sell lots of this flexible duct. 3" is for brake cooling duct.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hahahah.....WHAT?

28. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Grainger has over 100% mark-up on a lot of tools! The Aircraft Spruce looks to be the best deal. Havn't looked at Mc Master or MSC yet. I plan on doing something like this on my A-100 pickup.