Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

Hey Volvo,
    Both the engines I have are out of F-85's. I have a Buick also. I'll send you some photos of the Prefect once it's closer to be finished.

Slowly welding the boxing plates and other mounts on the frame. Just a little bit at a time to keep things cool. Most of the top section on the front is welded and ground. I have been keeping an eye on things and it has moved a bit, but what the hell am I gonna do!?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose to run a front spreader bar and boxed horns. I thought having them just boxed might make it look a bit street rod, so I did this. It's a piece of 18ga with three holes punched out using the Greenlee Knock dies I posted earlier in the build, and an 18ga backer. After paint it should be a subtle touch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Looking good! I like your motor mounts. Is that 2x4" box tube?

Are you still running the F1 spindles? Did you need to do any grinding to get that forged looking steering arm on there?

3. Beau

Beau

Yeah I'm running the F1 spindles/hubs. The steering arms will need about an 1/8" shaved off to clear the axle. No big deal though.

Motor mounts I think are 2x4. I think 3/16" or 1/4" thick also. WAY overkill. But basic, and they do what they need to.

I was at the shop from 7:30-4 today. I boxed the rear section, and just have the kick up to box now. I pulled the axles and flipped the frame and welded the bottom side also. I had to pick the lady up from work and I have a meeting at 6, but I'll be back at the shop after that. I'll get some more pics then.

4. Beau

Beau

5. Beau

Beau

Giving the Beverly it's final workout. I was able to get the last two boxing plates cut last night. I also spent most of the evening grinding, welding and wire brushing the rest of the frame. It's getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Beau

Beau

...aaaaaaaand back together again. I pulled the pitman arm on the steering box and got lucky with the position it is in. The steering is now figured out and done. I have been working on getting clutch cable hooked up. I had to stop working on that since I was getting nowhere with what I had. I'm gonna start working on the radiator mounts until I come up with something else.

[​IMG]

I bolted the flywheel on to the engine along with the pressure plate and bolted the engine back in. Once the radiator is mounted I want to try and run the engine.

[​IMG]

The plan is to get the clutch cable mounted, the brake hose mounts and any other little tabs. If anyone has a link or info about possible cables that may work, please let me know.

7. Beau

Beau

The past couple days I have been plotting out the cable clutch and radiator/grill mount. Working my way towards firing the engine to make sure it's good.

The radiator fits pretty snug. It's a 65/66 radiator (Here's a thread with actual measurements http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850972 ) for a Mustang. I had to trim off the factory mounting flange on the front of the radiator so it would sit flush against the shell. I found some channel that came off a fan and I think I can use that to start making the mount. It's screwed to the radiator on each side. Having both outlest on the passenger side will work nice with the Olds 215 cooling system layout. Finding hoses should be fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm have also been exploring options for a clutch linkage or cable. I think the cable is the way I'm going to go. I ordered a y-125 cable (not the one in the picture). It was used on tons of cars, and has a nice look to it.

[​IMG]

8. Beau

Beau

Merry Christmas!

At the Mom in Laws. I hauled down the parts I have gathered for the T roadster. I traded some parts to Jeff at Midwest Fabrications last month for some better doors, but forgot the doors at home. I bought a set of quarter from Jake in the Lucky Bastards CC a while back. My Mom in law has a SWEET shop that's empty. Some day it will be ours. I have a Model A front end and all the brake parts for mech. brakes. This will be my next retirement build.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  9. daddio211

daddio211

Cool man, and Merry Christmas to you too!

10. Beau

Beau

Still trying to get this casting thing down. Closer.... With the help of friends and other club members, we are here so far.

A new plug, didn't pour enough, or it didn't flow right, or it's too thick or I don't know.

[​IMG]

Let's make a bunch! Like 2 or three more!

[​IMG]

Not perfect, but good for another test.

[​IMG]

Well, that didn't work...

[​IMG]

Cut them up and try again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have two thick keepers. After 7 pours between three plugs. These plaques were made from Kia's!

[​IMG]

11. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Merry Christmas. You need a pourer which you have and a riser to let the metal flow out of your mould. Hope this helps. Have a look on you tube, there's a film showing how to do this.
    I look up how to cast a hot rod club plate in aluminium.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  12. Beau

Beau

Thanks Mark. We are still learning. This was just a method we had seen done on Youtube. We made another set up so the aluminum will pour in three locations along the long side. I also had a suggestion of using a preheated plate with a spot to pour and vent. It's been a lot of fun.

Here's one cleaned up. It's pretty thick, but it'll work just fine.

I also tour my little corner of the shop apart to make some more room. I have too much shit packed in a small little area. I picked up a Chevy Vega clutch cable, a '57 Chevy clutch fork and some other little stuff for the car over the holidays as well. Back to work soon. I have about 4 months until the white stuff is gone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  13. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

That plate looks cool, the font has a munster look about it.

14. ChefMike

ChefMike

what a great project! and I like the gas tank glad it was fixable

15. Beau

Beau

I got the 77 Chevy Vega clutch cable in place. I need to modify the mount on the clutch pedal so it pulls a bit more cable, but it's real easy to push and should work great!

[​IMG]

I used a piece off a Model A mechanical brake and modified it so I could bolt the cable in to it, and run a pin through the clutch arm. It worked out nice.

[​IMG]

16. Beau

Beau

Today I got the clutch adjusted so it works nice. I had to shorten the ratio a bit but it seems to have enough pull. The brake arm is also set up where it needs to be. I had some time to work on one other project. The emergency brake. I took a stock Model A emergency brake handle and shortened it 3". I made a simple mount that bolted to the e-brake handle, and welded it to the transmission mount. Now I need to come up with a way to hook it up to the rear drums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Beau

Beau

All my controls are in place now. I'm back to working on the body again. I have been stitch welding the floor and finishing up the bottom of the tub.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Beau

Beau

It's been cold outside, but I have been staying warm and busy in the shop. I'm bouncing around again and started trying to straighten the destroyed rear panel. I could have just bought a replacement, but I imagined that being as much work to make fit as just fixing this. I have about 12 hours into it now, but it's getting much better and actually getting smooth! A couple more sessions and I think it'll be good enough. With some primer I should have a better idea on how bad it is still. It's amazing how much time it can suck up without thinking about it.

It's also a huge pain in the ass getting photos of how rough and smooth things are in this state. The panel has multiple HUGE dents, the top 6 or so inches was folded forward and it had three cracks along the top. There were also 5 or 6 deep gouges that looked like someone took a screw driver and run it across REALLY hard.

After one night of work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also finished the front body mounts. Originally I had just made the spots to bolt it down. They needed to be boxed in for strength and to hide all the crap I have welded together. Still not finished with the floor...

Here it is before and after-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come.

19. Beau

Beau

I got the rear panel as smooth as I can get it. Only about 4" will be showing once the tank and upholstery are on, but it was good practice.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Beau

Beau

A rough idea on the direction I'm heading on the cowl and windshield area. I plan to have a windshield that will remove quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Beau

Beau

When I bought this Buick 215 it came with some block hugger headers. I didn't think they were going to clear the engine mounts in my car. But today I unbolted one and it looks like they might fit with just a bit of modification. The engine mounts on the Buick engine were moved forward about 4 inches.

This is the photo of the Buick engine with the headers.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. Beau

Beau

The last attempt looked like shit. This should be a bit better.

Attached Files:

23. Beau

Beau

Maybe a roadster is a bad idea in Minnesota?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. twin city knight

twin city knight

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing"-beau

Wuss.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Beau

Beau

Damn you! Hahahaha

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You were planning on putting a heater in there weren't you?

I've had one in the back of my mind for my build but I'm not together enough with it to figure out what I can fit in there yet.

Not that I think those old hot water heaters will do much in an open car with THAT kind of cold weather. Best of luck to you, we've only gotten down to about -10º where I am and that was plenty cold enough for me!

27. Beau

Beau

I had to take a week off. these little corner things were driving me nuts, This is the thrid attempt. I think it's a little better.

2nd and 3rd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Those look nice. I think you're good to go with these.

29. Beau

Beau

I got the right side started tonight.

Attached Files:

• dash.jpg
      dash.jpg
      File size:
      374.2 KB
      Views: