Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This is the paint I was using when I first started to build models and then stores stop carrying Pactra and started selling Testors which is the paint they still sell.

Attached Files:

2. swi66

swi66

3. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

cycle rate was so slow you could fire single rounds or bursts just by how you pulled the trigger. My dad at 4'11" was a BAR man for a short while.

4. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

A little tribute to my Pop....he built them both.

Attached Files:

5. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Another new shot of a 1958 Desoto Firemite. Looks like the kids are already tearing it up since it is missing the hood ornament on the front of the hood.This is the early version made in late 1957 with the vacuum formed Polystyrene body that fell apart with the vibration of the motor and sidewalks. It took me 20 years to find mine. Wonder what the back story is on this one?

6. Here's some more from Southern Ontario Canada, where many still have no power or heat, due to the ice storms. Hope everyone is okay.

Attached Files:

7. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Here's a few new (old) ones from my wife's family collection. I think that's the back of a Renault Dauphine?

[​IMG]

Grandpa's catch of the day...likely from somewhere in the Ozarks.

[​IMG]

And her uncle from just after basic.

[​IMG]

8. A few more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. starwalker

starwalker

10. BornBuick

BornBuick

... Well, well what do you know. My dad too did that same trek in WWII starting on the Burma Road walking some 700 plus miles pulling a mule and humping a B.A.R. as well from late 1943 and well into 1944. His outfit was known first as the 5307 provisional unit. They then picked up the name known today as The Merrill's Marauders from a war corespondent. After it was all over his unit earned a rare presidential unit citation and all them from this unit were engaged in daily live combat and all earned a Bronze Star. My dad earned his Combat Infantryman's Badge in the jungles of Burma there as well. He managed to get over 3/4's of the way through before being hit with both Typhus and Malaria which ravaged the entire unit. According to his sister, he told her he often volunteered for point man as according to him, it was the safest duty. As a kid I always noted that he never liked to talk about that time though or if it would come up, just would always briefly referred to it if asked and never went into any details. Never liked watching war movies on T.V. either. He did tell me once that there were two kinda guys over there, ones who were young and gung-ho and the ones who just wanted to get their job done and leave. After that experience who could blame him. Regarding the BAR, dad according to my older brother said the barrel would get white hot in use under heavy attack or fire and would glow in the dark.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Imagine Bonnie Parker firing that B.A.R. ?!
    That woman had balls!

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Your Dad had some real talent.:)

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. Happy trails...

20. swi66

swi66

21. swi66

swi66

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

25. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

The picture of the search lights in front of the Ford dealership got me thinking . I remember those lights being used in grand openings all the time . Never see that any more . I wonder why ? I bet if used today it would draw a lot of younger folks that never saw those lights in the sky .

26. Are you sure it's a Monitor?
    I don't see a pistol grip or recoil compensator!

27. Chris Garner

Chris Garner

28. Boodlum

Boodlum

BornBuick, I am proud to make your acquaintance. So your Dad was one of the "Dead End Kids." My Dad was also in the 5307 Composite Provisional (or Galahad). The instant I saw your father had been a mule skinner I knew what your next words were going to be. My Dad ended the war in Walter Reed recovering from malaria he got from the Mytchina airfield gunfight (he never fully recovered). The stories about that fight are amazing - running and shooting through a maze of concrete gasoline tank supports with the enemy all around them. Dad said those were the biggest Japanese soldiers he ever saw - something about an Imperial Division that had to be at least 6 feet tall. Dad stuck it out through the MARS Task Force operation then had to go in the hospital. Our fathers were amazing men.

ETA It's strange you posted this today. Just yesterday I got out the last mule hitch Dad saved for me and also the picture book from Ramgahr, India where they were based. It was published in 1946 and is titled "Now It Can Be Told." If you will tell me your father's name I will look for his picture.

My father was Capt. William Isaac Lofland. He was on General Joseph (Vinegar Joe) Stillwell's staff. The General called Dad "Tex" and in the field Dad carried the BAR because he was a big guy. Dad had huge respect for Colonel Merrill.

Only other Marauders I ever met were Andy Stasio (New York City guy who ended up in Dallas) and a guy from Arkansas I only heard called "Mokin". After the war, Mr. Stasio was among other things Knights of Columbus and Order of Malta.

"Go For Broke."

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  29. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

Naw. They all have their noses down in their I-phones. :D

Actually, when I took the dog out one night last month, I saw spotlights in the sky for some kind of grand opening at a city about 20 miles away. The new setups are four smaller lamps, about 3 feet in diameter, mounted on the back of a flatbed truck or trailer. Just as bright as the huge old arc lamps. Computer-controlled, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.