Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tudor gas door

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiro, Dec 18, 2013.

1. chiro

chiro

I would rather not have a pipe and gas cap sticking out the side of my Tudor. Anybody put a flush mount gas door on their Tudor that can give me some technical advise and pics on?

Thanks,

Andy

2. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

Their not my favorite, you have to be careful when you open and shut the door or you will chip your paint. When your out and about people like to walk by your car and push the door and open it for some reason. The flat ones seem to work better than the curved ones.

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

are you running fenders? you could run saddle tanks

4. chiro

chiro

I was thinking about something less "street rod" than those. More along the lines of stick gas doors from the '50's or '60's. You know those doors. Every car had them on the quarter panels with the little finger pull stamped into the door. Anybody put one of those on the side of their Tudor? Pics? Technical advise?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. olskool34

olskool34

A late 40's gm would have a nice flat door and it would probably also have a really nice piece of stainless trim with it also. Go to a junkyard and cut the panel out. I think it would be fairly easy to do.

6. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

The car I had was pretty cool. A Hagan door that you had to look for with a tank under the back seat. You push in on the door and it springs open and push to close. Like the doors on stereo cabinets and computers.

Attached Files:

7. 32rustedinpiece

32rustedinpiece

hey thats my old car... :) only problem with the hagan door was when i welded it in.... it didnt have the right contour, and it buckled the whole back panel. was a pain in the butt getting it back to the original shape. lesson learned!

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Does the "side of my tudor" mean the the body or fender? What year and make is the car? Is it a Ford Tudor? Questions with specific details are easier to answer.

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

liked mine and worked good. Not flush mount though. Off a early's 60's chevy truck.

Attached Files:

10. chiro

chiro

'30-'31 Model A Tudor. Side of body. Fenderless. Get it?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No need to get your undies in a wad, assuming that everyone on here knows that you have a 30/31 Tudor is assuming a lot.

Before the Hagen an some of the other aftermarket came out with their doors we just went to the junk yard and found a gas door the right size in the right shape (curve or no curve) panel and cut it out and took it home and trimmed it to fit. I keep eyeballing the gas door on my 92 Geo Prism GSI as it is small flat and operates with a pull cable from beside the seat. Dodge mini vans also have a fairly flat gas door that is cable operated.

12. On my 26 T Tudor, I used what I could find...a 1968 VW gas filler door and tube, photos if you want....

13. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Got it. Looks like 3 choices.
    1 Cut a panel including the door, hinge and opening from a doner car and weld
    the assembly into your body. Down side is warpage from several inches of
    weld.
    2 Remove and use the hinge from a doner, make a door and cut the opening to
    fit. Down side is fab time.
    3 Remove and use hinge and door from doner, cut opening to fit. May be best choice. Minimum fab and welding.