Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford 8.8 carrier (exploder) question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Are these carriers the same per gear ratio or are they different?
    Say the 3.27 gears on a 4:10 limited slip carrier.

Reason I ask is, I can get 3.27 open diff and a 4:10 limited. I want a 3.27 limited slip, so can I swap the gears on the carriers. I'm going to shorten the better housing and need another short axle anyway.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I believe that there is only one carrier dimension regardless of factory ratio......

I have collected several 8.8 axles, some as low as 2.78 ranging to 4.10...open and limited slip......IIRC I researched this some years ago and felt comfortable with mix n match.

Of course, 'close' is only good for hand grenades and horseshoes :)

3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

If i remember building my bronco with an 8.8 there is a different carrier for taller gears. Not sure if this only applies to after market posis and wat not

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I heard all 8.8 carriers are the same, ratio fitment wise, FWIW.

5. This is what I hear/read too, but from sources that also heard/read this and no solid confirmation. Summit sells only one "ford racing trac lock 8.8 carrier" for all 8.8 applications. I guess they are all the same.
    That's good to know.
    I have my answer.

So next logical question for fusscussion would be 28-31 spline conversion.
    With these two ideas nailed down the junkyard has a near endless combinations.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Ford usually puts part numbers on everything. Chack that the carriers have the same numbers.

7. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Nope. Close; there are either casting or engineering numbers on Ford parts. Example would be a c3ae-6090-xx
    on a cylinder head with a service part number of c3az-6049-a. Castings may be used to service multiple p/n's, so do thorough research. Hope this helps

8. Ford changed their parts numbering system in the early 90s, so the 'old' letter/decade, number/year system is gone. You have to research the numbers now....

9. nickleone

nickleone

I just pulled a 1995 3.73 limited slip Explorer 8.8 Thanksgiving weekend.
    Good info at:
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
    It has ID on door tags so you don't have to crawl under the car.
    The one I pulled was a disc rear and a 31 spline.
    Denver upullandpay $97.37 which included a 20% discount

Nick

10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I put a 8.8 exploder axle in my Jeep, it started out as a 3:73 posi, and I changed it to 4:56. The carriers I believe change after 4:56. I did have to alter a tooth to get the pin in.

11. Near 60 and sunny today and pull a part was packed.

Got my 3.27 rear end, LSD carrier from a 3.73 and an extra short side axle shaft.
    Lets see how this goes.

12. 28 victory

28 victory

I would recommend you go to the horses mouth and contact Richmond gear.

13. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

playing with late model mustangs i have pulled 2.73's out and put all the way up to 4.10s in posi carriers.

14. Why ?
    I trust the guys here.

Trust but verify, and you'll get to know who talks shit and who knows their shit.

15. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Ford started changing in the mid 90's. Plenty of f8zz=mustang f8az=crown vic numbers out there. Former Ford parts manager for 2 different dealerships here. Yes, do your research. If you are gonna run a stiff gear in an 8.8 you will need a special cross shaft richmond pn 80-02791 with 28 spline guts. Use csp88fl for 31 spline internals. Don't forget to add friction modifier xl3 for the trac-lock
    clutches.