Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does it matter where you place your Fuel Pressure regulator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Can I just mount it right after the pump and then run the fuel line to the carb or is it better to mount the fuel pressure regulator at the carburetor? Somewhere in between?

2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Shouldn't matter. I have mine in between.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's got to go in between the pump and the carb to read the pressure.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

It doesn't matter where you place it. The closer to the gauge the easier to read.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

5. saucerhead

saucerhead

What KLSR said makes no f-ing sense at all.

6. jkeesey

jkeesey

Makes no difference. I prefer to hide them rather than stick them right out in the open.

7. eppster

eppster

The fuel pump creates the fuel pressure therefore the pressure regulator must be between the pump and the carb.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Actually the part about being close to the gauge makes good sense, as if it's not close to the gauge, you'll be turning the adjustment, and then walking to the gauge to see the result. I use a regulator that has two outlet ports, and put the gauge in one. That way I can watch the gauge as I adjust.

9. Yes, I realize that.

glad im not the only ome.

thats is why I asked. Thanks!

Yes, I know. I figured that everyone understood that and it was a given. I am more just wondering if placement effects anything. Like if they are better placed close to the pump or the carb. Or if it even matters(my theory) as it is all a closed system.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. captmullette

captmullette

what he said.....

11. jkeesey

jkeesey

We just put one on my buddies 35. Its tucked inside the frame rail about 3ft in front of the tank. Works great.

12. eppster

eppster

I don't think that the short distance between the pump and the carb would have a preesure drop. If I was concerned I would want the guage as close to the pump as possible to get a accurate reading at the carb. I'm assuming that you're running a regular fuel pump and not a electric pump that would be back by the gas tank.

13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Geez, at least somebody gets it!

wraymen likes this.
  14. I'm not sure what you actually working on but,,, In the race world with big H.P. and Berry Grant style Electric pumps this is rule of Thumb. I also apply it to street driven stuff and many years and cars behind me and no issues.
    Pumps are always mounted close as possible to fuel cell/tank.
    Pump below fuel cell/tank at least 1/2"
    A good fuel regulator will have a gauge port on it.
    It should be as close to Carb/injectors as possible.
    Those little turn dial regulators are unpredictable and don't stay constant pending the pump.
    The Wizzard

15. Pist-n-broke has it right, at least that's the way I put mine. I also found it amusing to read between pump and carb, it sure can't go after the carb...ha ha

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry. I saw the question mark and thought you weren't sure.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you're using one with a return to tank, I would place it as close to the carburetor as possible to keep the fuel cooler. If it doesn't use a return it's just wherever it's convenient.

18. No reason to br sorry I should have written my original post more clear.

For those that are curious I am using a 6 volt vintage autopulse 500 fuel pump, with a winfield downdraft carb on my model A. I am still using the original tank. Im working on mounting the pump and regulator. Trying to figure where i want them and making the fuel lines. Im just making sure I can mount it with the pump. Just wanna make sure it will drive up some of the steep hills we have in Seattle.

19. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

On your application, after the pump is fine as long as you are using the appropriate sized line. If the line is too small, it will go up in pressure and defeat the purpose of having a regulator. What PSI are you looking for? Firewall mount would be fine, although a not NHRA legal, but I don't think your racing it.

20. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

One thing I have learned about the regulators I have installed on the firewall or fender apron, is that they are noisy. I learned the hard way that firmly mounted on the engine, usually the intake manifold, eliminates the aggravation. For the rest Pist-n-broke follows the same procedures as I do.
    Cheers for old cars, Alcohol does not make Auto Fuel better!

21. Mine is mounted low near the fuel pump. HRP

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

How does a regulator make noise? I can't feel any vibration, or hear a thing from any of mine?

23. I believe without doing a search the autopulse 500 only makes 4.5 lbs. of pressure. That should be just fine for winfields without a regulator. Were it me I'd put fuel to the pump and a gauge in the line end as a plug and turn it on. Then you would know if you need a regulator at all.
    The Wizzard

24. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

This is the first thing you need to do! Then if you decide you do need a regulator, consider the laws of physics and put the regulator as close to the carb as possible in the case of having your pump mounted down near the tank. This arrangement keeps the fuel pressure in the line between the pump and the carb as high as possible. The higher the pressure in that line, the less likely it will be for the engine to exhibit vapor lock.

Remember when all cars used an engine mounted fuel pump? The line from the tank was a suction line, drawing fuel to the pump at atmospheric pressure making any sort of temperature rise or heat soak a possibility for vapor lock.

If you're going to use an electric pump, set it up as a pusher from the tank and keep the fuel under pressure to the engine and then regulate it down at the carb.

25. soapman

soapman
    from California

Did you have to rebuild that Autopulse? If so, where did you find a kit? If not, beware of todays fuels, the rubber in old Autopulse's turns to black mush.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  26. Mine is a older model than that. It has the copper bellows. Gasket kits are available on ebay.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I'd place it as close to the carb as possible so the higher pressure would help deliver the fuel through the fuel lines from the tank to the regulator and prevent vapor lock if any of the fuel lines are close to a heat source like exhaust.

wraymen likes this.
  28. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

For 1971BB427, where is it mounted? When I mounted mine to the firewall, close to the carb, it drummed like the little drummer boy, tried rubber mounts, still noisy. Mounted solid to the manifold quiet.

Merry Christmas to all!

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Are you talking a regulator, or a fuel pump? I know the fuel pump makes noise, but a regulator?? What kind of regulator was it that made noise?
    I'm guessing it wasn't noise coming from your regulator, but noise coming from the fuel pump being transferred down the line and through the regulator, not caused by the regulator.

30. 59 brook

59 brook

As close to the carb or injectors as possible otherwise if its at the back you might hAve a restriction in the line causing a pressure loss at the carbs. All the regulators I've used had a small port to hook up a pressure gauge