Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a shoebox and why

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brooksinc1976, Jul 3, 2013.

1. And that is part of the problem with Slang terms in general, Because by nature, they can evolve, be regional, or misused, there will ALWAYS be arguments about what is right or wrong. When it is obscure, it doesn't make much difference, as there aren't going to be too many people involved or even knowing what the other is thinking or saying. And sometimes the word in question has fallen from favor and isn't used much prior to it's new slang meaning. "GAY" is a perfect example. Classically meaning Happy, it wasn't used much during the era when it became slang for Homosexual, and now is an accepted term in general everyday use.
    Now you take Shoebox as it applies to the car hobby, there is no question that is was first applied to Fords of the 49-51 era. There are plenty of folks still around who recall them getting that nickname as soon as they came out. And for many, it is the only accepted car to use the term for. The fact that people started calling Tri 5's by that name and then later Nova's (which they also incorrectly insist on calling Deuce's ;) ) does not change the fact of where the name came from, nor will it change the minds of those that know the history and want to preserve it. When you say "Nice Shoebox", more folks will think 49-51 Ford than anything else, and if you are meaning a Chevy, well you can see that the conversation isn't going to go well. At least if you say Shoebox Nova people know what you mean as it is now a descriptive combination.
    It's funny, but some people will fight to the death as to the meaning of slang terms like "Hot Rod", "Kustom", and "Roadster" but are willing to let other terms slide. Hell, Roadster has been used to classify almost any open top car by the general public, and BMW even used it very boldly in advertising ~ where were all the outcry's then? :rolleyes: Let's really mess it up and throw "Gasser" in there. :eek:
    Some folks feel it is their duty to try and keep the history of our hobby correct (and rightly so) ~ that is the whole premise of this Traditional Forum, yet when it comes to keeping the Tradition of names or words many say it just doesn't matter. Where does the line in the sand get drawn?

2. Real simple, you could buy them for $5-10, not $100 like the Chevs and Mopars. Nashes/ramblers were also real cheap just because.

3. $5 -$10 in the Mid 60's? really? Where. There weren't ANY cars that could be had in So Cal for that cheap in the 60's. 40's and 50's you could get Model A's for that. But not in the 60's for Anything that ran! :D

4. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I remember my uncle coming home with a brand new 49 ford 4 dr. and calling it a shoe box. I think that lets out the hot rod bunch all togeather. As far as buyking one for 5 or 10 dollars I must have missed that part. I guess its because I'm too young, only 73.

5. daddio211

daddio211

I'm too young to remember (born in 1971) but my dad was always a shoebox (Ford) nut. Graduating Grossmont High in San Diego, class of 1962, he and his friends all had shoeboxes because they were what a high school kid could afford to buy, drive and fix. Not a lot of native Americans in San Diego at the time (and Grossmont is now an Asian school) so I can't speak to that, but they'd commony pay $50 in the real late '50's through early '60's for a decent shoebox. Ford, again.

6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

interesting story behind the passing of hfII--if i remember correctly, wasn't he in the sack with his secretary when the angels called?

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Henry Ford II died of pneumonia at Henry Ford hospital in Detroit at age 70, Sept 29, 1987

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!