Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8-60 Water Pump Source-?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro61, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">A friend of mine just purchased a really nice '37 Ford Flatback, with 40,000 actual miles. He got it running but the water pumps are bad.
    Anybody in HAMB land know of a good source for pumps for this flatty? He wants to play around with it for a while until he figures which direction to go in the build.
    Thanks-
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Go to Fordbarn.com. Ask Skip Haney or George Mitchell for help. A couple of years ago I gave them a core V8-60 waterpump for the purpose of evaluation. You see they modify standard Flatty waterpumps with better brgs seals and impellars. At that time George Mitchell said that they were going to begin work on the V8 60 stuff. Good luck.

3. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

For information purposes be advised that there are two styles of 60 hp water pumps, one with a tapered seat and one with a straight seat. Earlier 52-B series has the taper seat and is a 1937 unit whereas the straight seat fits late 37 to 40. You will have to remove the pump to determine the style. If it is not leaking leave it alone for now.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got the water pumps off my 60, one was leaking and the other had water on the shaft so it was obviously getting by the bronze bushing. Got me thinking, why not knock he bushing in a bit and put a lip seal in there. Looks like a simple 1/2 x 3/4 seal would do, no machining necessary. This MUST have been considered before, anyone heard of it or why it wouldn't fly?

5. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

I know I have a pair of rebuilt water pumps still in the old Ford or auto parts Co, box, from about 30/40 years ago! From when we were restoring some V8-60 engines and midget racers. I come across them every now & then?! Will look for them in the morning. (There are 400 crates in the back storage room, so no promises! But I have an idea where I THINK I saw them last..:confused:

6. 3quarter32

3quarter32

My 37 engine had the tapered pumps. I was told also that if you can see any daylight between the impeller and the back plate it rides against they will leak out the shaft. I removed a little at a time off the impeller end of the shaft until the impeller sat against the back plate. No more leaks. You can get water pump kits from here. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Right on! Grab me some adjustable lifters and a couple 81s while your back there! BTW my heap (60 powered Bantam pickup <---) came out of Tampa. K&S Carburetor Service built it. They raced midgets, that's how it got the 60.

Ha, funny you should mention that, I was just staring at that very thing. Yep, daylight. Put a straight edge across the impeller, it's flat, the housing isn't.

8. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Good:) Bad:(
    I searched the "area" where i last saw them, and only found ONE. Very frustrating, becasue I am certain the other one is around there somewhere. But no luck after half hout..
    I must have taken this on into library and opened it for a photo and then not put it back with the other one.?

You can see the obvious problem, as this is only part of a 1,500 sq foot area of heated and cooled storage room, with floor to ceiling shelves of crates & boxes, AFTER four moves!
    Anyway, you can see the very old box, and the Square Back pump for late '37s on up, with the large copper gasket. $50 plus $10 shipping, and advising NOT to ship until after Christmas.
    I found some boxes of V7-60 piston sets, did not look to see if new or used, or what size. Will check if you might be interested. I KNOW I sold all the boxes of various size, new bearings, a couple of years ago-I Think, to a Hamber.

Attached Files:

• v81.jpg
      v81.jpg
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
    • v82.jpg
      v82.jpg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
    • v83.jpg
      v83.jpg
      File size:
      73.3 KB
      Views:
    • v84.jpg
      v84.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • v85.jpg
      v85.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sold to an American! Thanks, I'll PM you. Keep digging!