Register now to get rid of these ads!

To all the wide 5 fans, feedback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Jun 16, 2013.

1. 55willys

55willys

It looks to be a late model dirt track wheel on a very cool aftermarket floater hub. Does it have disk or drum brake? Are there any manufacturer markings on it? Jim (55willys)

2. 55willys

55willys

Went to the foundry today. If they are loose cast @$65-85 each. If I have a pattern made that will cost @$800-1000 but the cost per part will be @15%-20% less. So I would have to do a large run and then be able to sell them to make it worthwhile. On top of those costs is the cost of machine work that I still have to look into. I think that the total cost should be around $100-120each Jim (55willys)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  3. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

No markings heres more pics, sorry don't mean to hijack.

Attached Files:

4. 55willys

55willys

That is no hijack it's my thread. What do you plan on running that rear in? The whole setup is very cool. Jim (55willys)

5. 55willys

55willys

Dropped of the hub yesterday to be made into a pattern. Should be done in 2 or 3 weeks. Jim (55willys)

6. racemad55

racemad55

I'd like some like Martys to match my frankland rears to run on the front.

7. 55willys

55willys

Are you running disc or drum on the rear? You can do the spindle like shaggy mentioned by using 3/4 ton spindles and Frankland hubs. Jim (55willys)

8. racemad55

racemad55

Frankland hubs & drums on the back, I actually have a pair of the bolt on 3/4 ton frankland spindles.

9. oj

oj

If i understand right, you want to make a piece for wide 5 hubs to modern axles? like a ford 9" is that what i'm reading? Without doing the floater thing? but kinda looking like a floater.
    Let me know when you get to the bit about mating the wide 5 to buick drum as i have an early spindle and i'm close but not quite there as yet.

10. 55willys

55willys

To answer your first question it is a cover that will go over an adapter like the Dick Spadaro ones that go from 5on 4.5 to wide 5. It will look like an original 37 Ford wide 5 rear hub and the wheel will go over that. The wide 5 front hub to Buick drum set up can be done using original Buick drums and a later 2 piece wide 5 hub. My plan is to cast new aluminum hubs and use new Buick drums that are now being reproduced. Jim (55willys)

11. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

It,s going into a 36 ford

12. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

heres some pics

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. 55willys

55willys

jjjmm56 that is nice, love the chop, going to show off that rear nicely. Jim (55willys)

14. 55willys

55willys

Waiting for the pattern to be made and saving $ to have it cast. Jim (55willys)

15. 55willys

55willys

Pattern started but still waiting Jim (55willys)

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

On my rig I machined the centers out of the buick to go to a standard 39 ford hub of the front(the same dimentions as a QC hub on my rear) kind of a bitch but doable, the real problem then comes with the backing plates not being deep enough, I think there might be some interchange with buick stuff, but i'm just gunna cut the center of my '40 backing plates out and weld a cup in there to offset them further in

17. 55willys

55willys

The pattern is done finally! I will be picking it up in a week or so then off to the foundry. Jim (55willys)

18. 55willys

55willys

In doing research I found that 52-55 Ford 3/4 ton brakes will bolt up to the spindles giving you 12x2 self energized brakes. There are other brakes to that use that same shoe. Still researching to find the best set up for my 29 pickup with wide 5 and Buick drums. Jim (55willys)

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. 55willys

55willys

Went to the foundry today with the pattern got a quote of about $50 each. I am not happy with the finish on the pattern so I am going to clean it up a bit this week and then get a test hub cast. I will keep this updated. Jim (55willys)

20. 55willys

55willys

The pattern is at the foundry and they said they will work it in next week. So hopefully next week I will have the test piece done:D Jim Ford (55willys)

21. 55willys

55willys

I picked up the test casting today! Finally some visible progress. I need to clean it up and do some changes for shrinkage then mount it on a board with all the gating to make a permenant mold. I hope to have this done in a couple of weeks. Then back to the foundry to have the real thing cast. I am also looking for a reasonable machine shop to finnish them and keep cost down.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Soviet

Soviet

Hey boss, what you have is a Avion 51020 full floater hub.
    I have a pair I'm polishing up.

[​IMG]

23. 55willys

55willys

Thanks Soviet for ID on the hub. Do you know if they are still in buisness?

24. Soviet

Soviet

From what I could find, they made RV's for a while and then either went under or got bought out.

25. "Nano nano. Shazbot."

26. 55willys

55willys

Pinched a nerve in my back causing much pain and missed work in December so progress has been slow. Went to my chiropractor nearly every day for a week and then regular visits every Friday and i am back to about 90% and feeling good. Nerves heal about 1/4" per month so there is still some aggravation.

Cut off the gating and cleaned up some of the flaws with a wood rasp (very course teeth work great on aluminum) and centered the extension for chucking it up in the lathe. Got a board to mount it on and went back to the foundry to measure the flask to fit it all in. Hopefully will get some time next Friday to do some work on the lathe to clean up and resize the snout, and also expand the outside to make up for shrinkage.

Thanks for your patience as funds and time are always at a premium for me as they are for everyone so progress can be slow. Jim Ford (55willys)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  27. Interesting item! :cool:

28. 55willys

55willys

Thanks for the thumbs up Max Gearhead. I like the vintage look of 409s.

29. 55willys

55willys

Turned down the snout in my dad's old lathe because the other guys I know didn't have a big enough chuck to grab the outside of it. His lathe was made in 1917 an is very worn on the ways and the tool holder chatters so it is hard to make a nice cut. Now that I have a nice end to chuck it on I can use my friends lathe to finish turning the rest of it since I welded an 1/8th inch ring on it to make up for shrinkage in the casting process. I also started on a front wide five hub with disc brakes but I will start another thread for that.

30. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great idea I run wide 5's on my 32 roadster chrome 39 drums up front & late Ford axles/drums on my Halibrand rear , I was going to spin some up from a pair of drums but never had the time ,or a big enough lathe. I'll be waiting for progress on this project , good luck .I run early Speedway adapters for my rear wheels

Steve